Should I get opposite hand holster for 5 o'clock carry?

This is a discussion on Should I get opposite hand holster for 5 o'clock carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't carry too often quite yet, but when I do, I carry my XD9 in a MaxTuck. The most comfortable position for me so ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Should I get opposite hand holster for 5 o'clock carry?

Should I get opposite hand holster for 5 o'clock carry?

I don't carry too often quite yet, but when I do, I carry my XD9 in a MaxTuck. The most comfortable position for me so far is at about 5 o'clock. I'm able to get the gun very tight and flat to my body and it makes it very comfortable. However, just last night I started wondering if I should change it up a bit. Because the gun is so far back, I'm wondering if I should be using an opposite hand holster to make grabbing the gun easier. I carry right handed, but I'm wondering if I should carry in a left handed holster to put the grip closer for quicker draw. Anyone carry this way, with an opposite hand holster?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Have a look for small of back holsters or SOB holsters. You'll find that most are made with that sort of draw in mind, and basically will be similar to a left handed holster with a greater degree of cant to help with the draw.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

This might be just up your alley.

I have this holster for about 5-6 of my firearms...FIST, INC.

Note: I don't wear it over the spine, but rather at 5:00...it has a 'palm out' draw.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can, but be sure that you practice drawing so you do not muzzle yourself while drawing. A self inflicted shot in that area would be very deadly.
    Richard58 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    You can, but be sure that you practice drawing so you do not muzzle yourself while drawing. A self inflicted shot in that area would be very deadly.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Thanks for the replies so far, and whatever method I choose, be assured I will practice to the point that safely drawing is second nature.

I like the suggestions of the SOB holster, but worn at 5 o'clock. However, all the SOB holsters I've run across are OWB. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes an IWB SOB holster or something similar in the way it aligns the gun? I don't think I can get my MaxTuck to cant that much to simulate the SOB style.

Last edited by HemiCoupl; March 5th, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added theis link

That's what I'm calling the left hand IWB. I'm wondering if anyone makes an IWB with the gun oriented in the traditional SOB fashion where it's almost like the gun is sitting upside down as in the below picture, but yet rides IWB.

40c.jpg

I guess I don't understand what you're looking for, I don't understand how a holster oriented like the one in the picture could be drawn from IWB, I will wish you luck some of the smarter guys here can chime in

Home of the Original Remora No Clip IWB Concealment Holster

Well, maybe not exactly that much cant, but something quite close to it. It's quite possible that what I'm asking about doesn't even exist. And if that is the case, then it helps my search since I won't be looking for that any more. :)

I wouldn't take my answer as a definitive no-can-do there are plenty of custom holster companies with great customer service and plenty of other guys here who will chime in their 2 cents
    Last edited by HemiCoupl; March 5th, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: can't speel

Distinguished Member
    I carry a Sig P239 in a Galco Ultra Deep cover in the left hand model and I carry at the six oclock. I have not found a iwb holster that allows for a right hand draw other than this holster. Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I carry a Sig P239 in a Galco Ultra Deep cover in the left hand model and I carry at the six oclock. I have not found a iwb holster that allows for a right hand draw other than this holster. Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    Comparing the Galco Ultra Deep Cover you linked and the Galco MOB, it appears the only difference is the amount of cant. I guess I'm well on my way to a "holster drawer" pretty soon. :)

Links