Old Faithful IWB - First Impressions

This is a discussion on Old Faithful IWB - First Impressions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being primarily an OWB guy, I always thought the idea of sandwiching a pistol between a hunk of leather and kydex, then cramming the whole ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Old Faithful IWB - First Impressions

RT [OP]

Old Faithful IWB - First Impressions

Being primarily an OWB guy, I always thought the idea of sandwiching a pistol between a hunk of leather and kydex, then cramming the whole get up in my pants, sounded like it would be incredibly uncomfortable.... until today, that is. I never would have even considered purchasing a hybrid IWB rig except I received a couple pairs of jeans this past Christmas that were a little large in the waist. Instead of exchanging them, I thought, "What the heck? Let's use this as an opportunity to see what all the hoopla surrounding these hybrids is about." After shopping around and seeing Old Faithful's 30-day challenge guarantee, 50 year warranty, and price, I figured I couldn't go wrong, so I ordered the Old Faithful IWB "Quick Assemble Kit", which arrived earlier today.

Assembly of the holster was a breeze... such that there really isn't much to write about. A couple of things to note... I really liked that they included a couple of different screw and spacer lengths for attaching the kydex to the leather backing, since as the holster gets broken in, it may become necessary to switch to a shorter screw and spacer to maintain proper tension on the firearm. I also liked the idea of screwing on the kydex instead of using rivets. If I ever replace my current carry weapon, all I need to do is order another kydex shell or form one myself and screw it onto the leather... sure beats buying a whole new holster.

Now onto comfort and concealability. This rig concealed my full size M&P 9mm extremely well, and I was thoroughly impressed with the comfort when I took it for a test run. Like I said before, I was going into this fully expecting a high level of discomfort that because of, I would either have to utilize the money back guarantee or just get used to it. Even though it was the first time wearing the rig, I began to not notice it after an hour or so because it was so comfortable. I didn't even really notice it when sitting and driving. I'll even go one further and say it was more comfortable than my OWB rigs due to not having to cinch my belt down quite as tight to keep the pistol pulled in nice and close. Being that comfortable on the first day, I can only imagine it will just get better with time. Of course, YMMV.

The only complaint I have with the holster is purely cosmetic. One their website and in several video reviews I have seen on the holster, the company logo is heavily stamped into the leather backing. On the one I received, the logo is lightly stamped and colored in. This isn't too much of an issue actually since it will rarely, if ever, be seen, but it does look a little cheesy. The coloring also came off onto the polymer of my pistol as evidenced in the photo below showing a bit of the coloring having been rubbed off of the logo. I would have preferred the heavily stamped logo with no coloring, but if this is the only thing I have to complain about with this holster, I can live with it.

IMG_5252.JPG

Sorry this is so long.... I definitely didn't intend to write a book here, so I'll wrap this up now. All in all, I think this holster is going to be a great addition to my carry repertoire. I'll still carry OWB from time to time, but it will be nice to have this around when better concealment is needed. I guess I should thank my mother for gifting me the wrong size pants and inadvertently introducing me to a new mode of carry.
    RadarContact and Kennydale like this.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear! It takes a bit of getting use to carrying IWB, but before you know it, you won't even notice it's there.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

I have two Old Faithful IWB and love them. One for a Shield and one for a sig 226. Also bought a belt from them at the same time. Makes all the difference.
    Last edited by Enzo411; March 5th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I like that they give a veteran discount, nice touch.
    RadarContact likes this.

VIP Member
    Thanks for this post. I was interested in ordering two of their holster but the ones where you mold the kydex yourself (just for a new activity) but couldn't find much on them or about comfort.

I think this seals the deal for me.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Thanks for this post. I was interested in ordering two of their holster but the ones where you mold the kydex yourself (just for a new activity) but couldn't find much on them or about comfort.

No problem. Glad it was actually able to help someone. As far as comfort goes, I don't really think you can go wrong. If you find it's not as comfortable as you would like within 30 days of receiving it, their guarantee is to refund your money AND let you keep the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post

I think this seals the deal for me too. Been looking for awhile....
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

My first impression was that your holster reminded me of this 1964 Man from UNCLE holster, including the riveted / screwed tabs at the holster's sides, and the coloured decal, and being made from plastic:

1964uncles.jpg
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

ive been thinking about one of these hybrid IWB, how much did it increase the waist size in your jeans?, I like jeans that fit me, not the baggy, hang off yer ass jeans (technical term) and i dont want to have to size up too much to where i couldnt wear them without carrying. currently i wear a 33.5w and a 33inseam.. i carry a full size P220, and while it rides nice on the hip, sometimes concealment is a little more prudent.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

It's great to hear another satisfied user. I've been carrying my full-size 9mm in an Old Faithful IWB for about six months. I use it every day (except for once a week when I use my DeSantis paddle) and even my family can't tell I'm carrying. And it is very comfortable, especially after a few days of breaking it in. I highly recommend this hybrid holster...you can't beat it for quality and price.

Now why'd you have to do that. I'm already struggling to decide between a WhiteHat holster and a Crossbreed supertuck deluxe and you throw another good contender into the mix. Sigh.

Old Faithful's are nice. Have 2 of them. The ONLY issue I have (any probably cuz I'm fat) is since the clips ride above leather sometimes the feel uncomfortable against me. BUT I assume that's to make it silent.

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    ive been thinking about one of these hybrid IWB, how much did it increase the waist size in your jeans?, I like jeans that fit me, not the baggy, hang off yer ass jeans (technical term) and i dont want to have to size up too much to where i couldnt wear them without carrying. currently i wear a 33.5w and a 33inseam.. i carry a full size P220, and while it rides nice on the hip, sometimes concealment is a little more prudent.
    I am sort of in between sizes. I normally wear a 36 waist measurement, and those are just a little loose on me (34's "fit" but are a little too snug for my liking). I tried the holster with my size 36 pants, and while everything fit in there ok, it made the waist of the pants a little too tight for comfort. The 38s I was given are a little loose even with the holster inserted, but my belt takes care of that quite well. As to wearing them without carrying... I've worn them a couple of times without carrying, and as long as I'm wearing a belt, I have no issues with them hanging anywhere but around my waist.

I first saw something mentioned of these on here and I don't like the idea of putting them together yourself as well as the belt since I'm looking for a good leather belt. Now if I can just find a new carry gun.

Does anyone else find the t-screws uncomfortable on the back side of the holster? I just got mine a few days ago and have been wearing it around the house while I wait for the cpl to show up... Also if anyone is looking to order I used the promo code guntalk for 20% off.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links