Remora and Kahr MK9

This is a discussion on Remora and Kahr MK9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there anyone here that has a Remora holster for their MK9? I have never tried a Remora but there are a ton of people ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tokerblue

Thread: Remora and Kahr MK9

Remora and Kahr MK9

Is there anyone here that has a Remora holster for their MK9? I have never tried a Remora but there are a ton of people that seem to really like them so I thought I'd give one a try. I do have some general questions, though.

1. The sweat shield option is 2 parts - regular sweat shield and full sweat shield. What is the difference?
    2. Does the holster compress in your waistband when the gun is un-holstered? On the same topic, how easy can you get the gun back in?
    3. Are there any other options/modifications that would be worth while? Such as the thigh/ankle option?
    4. Is the only way to set up this holster for IWB with tucked in shirts with the tuckable option?

My goals with the holster are mainly to keep my MK9 as a pocket-carry gun, with the option of IWB. I'd like to try ankle carry. What all can I reasonably do with one Remora?

2. Remove Ads

I think....

1. The sweat shield covers just the rear sight portion of the gun, the full sweat shield covers both the sight portion and the grip area of the gun (larger holster)
    2. Yes but they also make a reinforced opening holster to aid in reholstering
    3. For a Remora or just in general?
    4. No, I wear mine IWB with just a t-shirt or whatever as my conceal cover. You can tuck a shirt in over it if you need to.

I have a Remora for my Kahr PM9 and MK9.

1. Unless you plan on wearing the Remora against your bare skin, you don't need the sweat shield.
    2. The standard version will compress. The reinforced version will not. I rarely ever take my gun out of the holster, so I don't need the thicker reinforced version. Depending on your girth, it may be easy to reholster or not.
    3. Never tried the ankle version.
    4. I don't tuck in my shirt with a Remora, but there is a tuckable version.

IMO, the MK9 makes for an uncomfortable pocket carry due to it's weight, but the Remora will work as a pocket holster. It really shines as a IWB holster though.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Remora and Kahr MK9

I just got a new tuckable Remora with leather lining and full sweat shield for my Sig P938 and I really like it. I have other Remoras also.

Thanks for the feedback. I just put my order in. I ended up ordering 2 holsters. I got one RFT with sweat shield (basic with the standard sweat shield, not the full, and no other options) for pocket carry (and to try IWB, but I have a Crossbreed Minituck coming for that) and one standard holster with sweat shield and the thigh strap option for ankle carry.

Has anyone tried their holster as an ankle holster before? Any critiques? Tips? Tricks? How comfortable is it? Do you need a liner of some kind?

Remora and Kahr MK9

I just put an order in for a remora for my mk9 as well as my k9. I am interested in the feedback from this post.

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    I just put an order in for a remora for my mk9 as well as my k9. I am interested in the feedback from this post.
    Not to get off topic too much, but how do you like your K9? I almost got one of those. In fact, the crossbreed holster I ordered was for a K, not the MK (they are close enough that the holster should work for both, if not I can heat it and get the fit how I want). My regular carry gun is a S&W M&P40c and I wanted a more compact gun. The K's are the most comfortable guns I've ever held, but since I already had a larger "compact" in .40 I figured the smaller framed MK, and lighter 9mm round, would be a more logical step. I'm thinking of replacing (carry-wise) my M&P40c with a K40 to get the comfortable grip plus a solid steel frame to stabilize the heavier round, as opposed to the light polymer frame of the M&P.

i have a Remora for my CM-9, although i usually pocket carry the Kahr.

i second everything tokerblue said. i need two hands to re-holster.

ankle holster: usually worn on the inside of the off-side calf/ankle. cover holster with your sock if you can - helps concealment when you're sitting down.

gun is drawn by taking a step back with the strong-side leg, bending the weak-side knee, pulling up the pants leg/cuff with the weak hand, and drawing gun with the strong hand.

lighter (16 oz.) guns help - your Mk9 is probably too heavy (YMMV).

it's a relatively dirty place to carry - you will probably need to strip/clean your gun more often than usual.

it may take a while to get used to the extra weight on one ankle. try to walk normally.

practice/check to see if the gun will come out of the holster when you run or jump. some ankle holsters have retaining straps, others don't.

I received my Remora shipment today.

I am not real thrilled with the holsters. From my other holsters that I have for another gun the Remoras are quite lacking in stability. I am going to try them for a little while though. Maybe I'll find something that they are good with. My MK9 isn't a light gun, so maybe that is part of it.

The ankle/thigh holster option isn't working for me how I envisioned. The grip on the MK9 is too big to fit in some of the pants I have.

I have a Crossbreed Minituck on order. It is 5 weeks in, so maybe it will show up soon. My other gun I carry in a Supertuck Deluxe and it is great. The MK9 is even smaller so I am hoping that works out even better.

Remora and Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    Not to get off topic too much, but how do you like your K9? I almost got one of those. In fact, the crossbreed holster I ordered was for a K, not the MK (they are close enough that the holster should work for both, if not I can heat it and get the fit how I want). My regular carry gun is a S&W M&P40c and I wanted a more compact gun. The K's are the most comfortable guns I've ever held, but since I already had a larger "compact" in .40 I figured the smaller framed MK, and lighter 9mm round, would be a more logical step. I'm thinking of replacing (carry-wise) my M&P40c with a K40 to get the comfortable grip plus a solid steel frame to stabilize the heavier round, as opposed to the light polymer frame of the M&P.
    Sorry about this. I just saw your question. I love my K9! To me it is the best feeling compact gun. I love my mk9 too but the K9 just fits my hand. I also love the grip Kahr puts on the k9 and K40. The k9 shoots a little more accurate than my mk9 for me. I definitely would love to have a K40 as well. Maybe someday soon.

Links