Glock 17 Appendix Carry

This is a discussion on Glock 17 Appendix Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just recently got my CCW permit and I've been experimenting with how to CC my G17. I like the idea of appendix carry, especially for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Glock 17 Appendix Carry

Glock 17 Appendix Carry

Just recently got my CCW permit and I've been experimenting with how to CC my G17. I like the idea of appendix carry, especially for its accessibility while riding in the car, but I find it impossible to bend at the waist or even sit down, due to the size of the G17. I'm using a Remora holster by the way.

Does anyone CC a G17 and have you been able to appendix carry it successfully?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Re: Glock 17 Appendix Carry

The issue with the Remora is that it might be sitting too low. You're going to want something with an attachment point that will keep the ride height of the holster fixed.

Check out Custom Carry Concepts, CompTac, or Desibens Gunleather

While I don't carry a G17 (yet) I carry a HKP30L aiwb with is close to the same size, I'm using a Garrett Industries tuckable IWB..

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

"Is that your A-frame house, or are ya just happy to see me, soldier?"

I'm betting there aren't many folks who can stuff a G17 in the appendix without a least some discomfort. Haven't toyed with AIWB with anything larger than a CZ P-01. Can't imagine I could get a G17 in there, comfortably, no matter how many "Hail Marys" I said.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator

Re: Glock 17 Appendix Carry

Also check out Dale Fricke holsters:

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/

Everyone is built a little different but as a general rule when sitting the back of the slide should touch the bottom rib.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The issue with the Remora is that it might be sitting too low. You're going to want something with an attachment point that will keep the ride height of the holster fixed.

Check out Custom Carry Concepts, CompTac, or Desibens Gunleather

While I don't carry a G17 (yet) I carry a HKP30L aiwb with is close to the same size, I'm using a Garrett Industries tuckable IWB..

I carry my G19 AIWB and it's no problem. I'm betting it's the holster, and while I've never used a Remora, I can say that it shouldn't really cause bending or sitting issues. The entire firearm should maintain a stable position regardless of your position and it shouldn't really cause you to be unable to bend or move around.

The only other thing I can think of, and I'm trying to be polite here, is AIWB isn't really a carry method that works for heavier body types. Don't know if that could be part of the issue or not, but I'm just going to toss it out there.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I carry my G19 AIWB and it's no problem. I'm betting it's the holster, and while I've never used a Remora, I can say that it shouldn't really cause bending or sitting issues. The entire firearm should maintain a stable position regardless of your position and it shouldn't really cause you to be unable to bend or move around.

The only other thing I can think of, and I'm trying to be polite here, is AIWB isn't really a carry method that works for heavier body types. Don't know if that could be part of the issue or not, but I'm just going to toss it out there.

A Remora has zero method of attachment to anything other than friction, during the course of the day it can move around and not stay situated.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    A Remora has zero method of attachment to anything other than friction, during the course of the day it can move around and not stay situated.
    Ah, yeah. I wouldn't think that would be the best option for comfort and AIWB.
    NRA Life Member

IMG_0054.jpg I carry a G-17 (with RMR) in a Dale Fricke AIWB Holster every day with no problems. In the attached picture I used my training knives as the red handles showed up better than the OD or black handles.

Bob Fleming
    TX expat and JD like this.

I just got a remora for my Ruger P95 a few days ago just so I can carry in my home (I'm in Illinois). I was planning on carrying AIWB but have not been able to make it work for the same reasons you haven't. The pistol is so top heavy when it's loaded that it feels like the entire holster and gun are going to flip out of my waistband. If and when IL passes their CCW bill I still plan on trying AIWB initially but will be getting a more secure holster and a smaller pistol. Most likely a G26 or 27. There's nothing wrong with the remora, but it's just the nature of its "no clip" design that makes it difficult to keep in place when bending and sitting in the AIWB position.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I just got a remora for my Ruger P95 a few days ago just so I can carry in my home (I'm in Illinois). I was planning on carrying AIWB but have not been able to make it work for the same reasons you haven't. The pistol is so top heavy when it's loaded that it feels like the entire holster and gun are going to flip out of my waistband. If and when IL passes their CCW bill I still plan on trying AIWB initially but will be getting a more secure holster and a smaller pistol. Most likely a G26 or 27. There's nothing wrong with the remora, but it's just the nature of its "no clip" design that makes it difficult to keep in place when bending and sitting in the AIWB position.
    One thing to keep in mind that a smaller pistol isn't necessarily more desirable for AIWB. If your holster doesn't have enough length, it'll have a tendency to fold over your belt. Even if you choose to carry a 26 AIWB, I'd recommend a 19 length holster to help keep the holster in position..
    NRA Life Member

While not a G17, I carry a FS M&P 40 in a Dale Fricke Archangel as my EDC rig with a good gun belt (of course). I have no problems bending over or sitting for extended periods of time. The only thing I've done to the Archangel is add a bit of old Moleskin-like padding around the bottom as it sometimes digs in a bit at the groin.

I'm with the other guys, for AIWB, ditch the Remora, you need a holster with direct/secure attachment to the belt.
    JD and miller_man like this.
    NRA Life Member

Cool

I carry my Glock 23 AIWB using a High Noon Public Secret holster with the single clip attachment.

There is just enough play between the clip and belt that when seated in the car I can get a slight cant to the inside for some added comfort.

The only holster by Remora I use is for pocket carry of a S&W Model 60. I want a positive attachment of holster to gun belt.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    JD likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Glock 17 Appendix Carry

Look into the Keeper's Concealment AIWB holster or the 5 Shot Leather SME. Those are the best options as of now but plan on spending $150 (Keeper) to $180 (SME) and waiting a couple months. The next best options are the CCC Shaggy and JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster which are essential the same design and run $75-100 depending on your options.

Keeper:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4022
    SME:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ase-of-the-SME!
    Shaggy:
    http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm
    JM Custom AIWB:
    http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html

I run a M&P 45c in a Shaggy with leather comfort shield and it's what I carry almost everyday but what I've heard about the SME is all positive so I have one on order. I'll probably get a Keeper too because I can't lose these extra lbs and it takes care of the pelvic pressure from a fat belly pushing on the grip. Expensive stuff but comfort has a price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    JD likes this.

I can't see a G17 working for AIWB. I've got a M&P9 (same size) and for the crap of it just tried that....NOOOOOO WAY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links