Why All The Preoccupation With The Remora Holster?

This is a discussion on Why All The Preoccupation With The Remora Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got two Remora's and they are as good as advertised! They are offering 20% off right now when you use the code shamrock20....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Why All The Preoccupation With The Remora Holster?

I've got two Remora's and they are as good as advertised! They are offering 20% off right now when you use the code shamrock20.

2. Remove Ads

Well I ordered one for my G27 today along with a mag pouch. I need one to try while waring shorts around the house and maybe summer carry. I am not sure it will work or me, but thought I would give it a shot...... I guess we'll see.

If not I will be in the market for a "pocket pistol (read as CM9)" for house and shorts carry.

I'm a Remora convert. Never much cared for IWB however once I purchased one, I love it. And I carry a heavy gun. I wouldn't use it without a belt for everyday carry but I have had zero issues with it. Reholstering for training purposes is not really part of defensive carry training, if I have to unholster it, it won't need to go back in, so to me, that point is moot. I just slip it out and re-insert it into my beltline. Going to order that 10ART with the full sweat shield for summer carry right now since they are having a sale. Never tried to tuck over it, but around here it doesn't much matter if say, I go to the barber shop and take off my jacket for a cut, they see it, they also carry. So we get to talk guns during my haircut. I love Idaho.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

For anyone debating whether or not to get one they are currently running a 20% off sale for Saint Patrick's Day.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

I've used my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my 642 in the same manner as a Remora for several years. It works for me IWB unless I'm doing really physical work.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
    I'm a Remora convert. Never much cared for IWB however once I purchased one, I love it. And I carry a heavy gun. I wouldn't use it without a belt for everyday carry but I have had zero issues with it. Reholstering for training purposes is not really part of defensive carry training, if I have to unholster it, it won't need to go back in, so to me, that point is moot. I just slip it out and re-insert it into my beltline. Going to order that 10ART with the full sweat shield for summer carry right now since they are having a sale. Never tried to tuck over it, but around here it doesn't much matter if say, I go to the barber shop and take off my jacket for a cut, they see it, they also carry. So we get to talk guns during my haircut. I love Idaho.
    Practicing my presentation multiple times daily is a huge part of my defensive carry training, so a holster which makes multiple draws cumbersome and tedious isn't going to work for me.
    ScottM likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Practicing my presentation multiple times daily is a huge part of my defensive carry training, so a holster which makes multiple draws cumbersome and tedious isn't going to work for me.

Groovy, good thing they have a reinforced top option. Remora Reinforced Top "No Clip" Holsters
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
    Groovy, good thing they have a reinforced top option. Remora Reinforced Top "No Clip" Holsters
    I'm set already, but thanks on behalf of those still looking.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Re: Why All The Preoccupation With The Remora Holster?

I bought one for my 9c and wore it a few times, very well constructed holster but it just wasn't for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    NopeThis seems to be the major selling point Not true. I know someone who had theirs come out playing with his kids.What constitutes 'appropriate'?
    Just like with ANY holster, you must take care to wear it in the manner it was meant to be worn. Sure, you can use a Remora with athletic shorts or sweatpants, but don't expect it to stay in place for anything more than walking around. I have carried my Glock 23 and Ruger LC9 around in Remoras for at least a year and mine have never moved on me while wearing appropriate clothing. If your pants/shorts are too loose in the waistband you could have issues with clip holsters as well. I have worn my Remoras while working in the yard, canoeing, jogging, working on the car, playing with the kids on the floor, and even did a round of burpees just to see if it would move.

This review has videos of someone doing forward rolls, side rolls, and even a handstand while carrying in a Remora.
    Being Thankful for Remora Holsters--Updated 11/27/2010 with Video | Average Joe's Handgun Reviews
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    You can stick it in your sweatpants, go jogging, throw in your pocket, wear it with jeans, with a little skill you can even tuck in around it. It is just super versatile and comfortable, best of all its cheap.
    Actually, the tuckable version is very easy to tuck a shirt around it. That is why I went with a Remora. At my work, I need to wear a dress shirt, tucked into my pants. While I could have had a traditional IWB with a clip on my belt, I work in an environment that is very liberal (read...anti-gun), so I didn't want that mysterious clip on my belt just waiting for someone to ask what is that clip for. With the tuckable Remora, no one knows it is there, and it doesn't move. I have a video made (just haven't posted it yet) on a review of the tuckable Remora. Maybe I will get around to posting that someday.

Seems this conversation is a repeat of one I heard in the late 80's about...those new-fangled plastic pistols. Try one if you haven't, wear one if you like it, send it back if you don't. Simple huh? Me? I LIKE 'EM. (And I'm a stubborn, hard-to-convince, stuck-in-my-ways ol' pistolero). They haven't replaced my Milt Sparks SS2H and all my Galco models aren't in the dead holster box, but the sticky little Remoras have their advantages.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I didn't like mine when I got it, preferred my hybrid kydex, but I started using the remora more and more, and now I use it all the time. Quick, easy to put on, easy to remove when needed, and infinitely adjustable. Not to mention universal for different guns. If my Remora cost the same as my Crossbreed holster (meaning no cost savings), I would buy the Remora again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Just like with ANY holster, you must take care to wear it in the manner it was meant to be worn. Sure, you can use a Remora with athletic shorts or sweatpants, but don't expect it to stay in place for anything more than walking around.
    Why do you assume he was wearing casual shorts or sweats while playing with his kids? Why assume he wasn't wearing "it in the manner it was meant to be worn".

I did not mention what he was wearing at the time.

If you see a conclusion, be sure to jump at it, OK?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I guess by some of us stating our opinion about a holster we are being placed in the novice ranks and should be ignored. IMO, it takes a very narrow minded individual to believe that if it works for them it should work for everyone. As I stated early on the holster does not meet my carry needs and was placed in the very large box of scarcely used well recommended holsters stored in my garage. Nuff said.
    ScottM likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links