Retention on kydex holster?

This is a discussion on Retention on kydex holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a Fist IWB # 1B cantable clip holster the other day for my Kahr PM9. I plan to use this as my EDC ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdBoreConceal

Thread: Retention on kydex holster?

I ordered a Fist IWB # 1B cantable clip holster the other day for my Kahr PM9. I plan to use this as my EDC in the summer, worn mainly with athletic shorts. I passed on the retention screw option, but now I'm wondering if I should have opted for this feature. Being this is my 1st kydex holster, generally speaking, can anyone tell me how much retention there is with kydex holsters typically. I will not be using a belt with this rig so that is why this is of concern. Any advice or experience with regard to this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer:

Alll suggestion are welcome, but please refrain from trite suggestions such as "you cannot be without a sturdy belt" or "you must dress around the firearm"....etc. People, as well as firearms come in all shapes and sizes. Not everyone carries a full size 1911 with 3 spare mags, tacti-cool flashlights and knives. Fist clealy states this holster can be used without a belt. Furthermore, I have been carrying my PPS in a High Noon Mister Softy IWB all winter with nothing more than athletic apparel. I've had zero issues with support, presentation or reholstering....although this holster does come with a retention screw.

This is the holster:
    1kbBEAU.jpg

My wife and I have a couple of Fist IWB kydex holsters. Neither one has the adjustment screw. As received, hers had perfect retention (relatively easy to holster/draw, but does not fall out when held upside down). Mine was actually too tight; once I got the gun in the holster, it was next to impossible to get it back out. I reformed mine in the oven, and since then it works great (if you try this, don't get the oven very hot; a few minutes at less than 200 deg. is more than enough.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I have found retention level can vary by manufacturer. My Foxx holsters are on the loose side, while my SHTF Gear holsters are very tight, retaining my weapons when held upside down. I think the important measure is the level of retention when worn. With a belt I have no issues with my Foxx Holsters, but would not go without one. My SHTF Gear on the other hand, would hold my weapon without a belt. Unfortunately, with out a retention screw you have to hope for the best.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

New Member Array ColdBoreConceal's Avatar
    It really depends on the maker. Sometimes there's a way to adjust the retention, other times there isn't. Look for a screw somewhere on the front or back that you can tighten. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies and tips.

Unfortunately, this kydex hoster is stitched and I know there is no retention adjustment. This 2nd guessing of my order all came about after watching a youtube vid review someone did on the Fist kydex clip holster and he referred to the retention as being "quite tight".

Ok, so you think I should roll the dice...or call and try to make a change to my order and add a retention screw?

New Member Array ColdBoreConceal's Avatar
    Your call on that one. I'm not familiar the company. How much extra was the retention screw? If its not much, I would go for it. You may also be able to ask for them to make it with a tighter retention.
    QKShooter likes this.

The only Kydex holster I have owned is my Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB. It does come with a retention screw but I have never needed to adjust it. My M&P snaps very firmly into place, passes the upside-down test easily. (Don't worry, no guns were harmed when doing this test.)
    NRA Life Member

I had a kydex holster that was a bit loose. I used the electric range in my kitchen to tighten it up. The range elements get red hot, so I put the kydex near it, (NOT ON IT), When I could smell the plastic was warm, I put the gun in and pressed the side of the holster into the trigger area. Depending on how sensitive your fingers are, you might want to put a piece of cloth between your thumb and the plastic. The whole procedure took about 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mx702 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and tips.

Unfortunately, this kydex hoster is stitched and I know there is no retention adjustment.
    This 2nd guessing of my order all came about after watching a youtube vid review someone did on the Fist kydex clip holster and he referred to the retention as being "quite tight".

Ok, so you think I should roll the dice...or call and try to make a change to my order and add a retention screw?
    Actually, with a blow torch...holding the holster high above the flame...you can pinch the hoster to fit a little tighter...easily done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Actually, with a blow torch...holding the holster high above the flame...you can pinch the hoster to fit a little tighter...easily done!
    Or a hair dryer if you have the time. Only really have to get it to about 200*

Links