Holster for a G17

This is a discussion on Holster for a G17 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Remora holster that I have been wearing around the house while waiting for my carry rounds to arrive (CHL arrived Feb.14 of ...

Thread: Holster for a G17

Holster for a G17

I have a Remora holster that I have been wearing around the house while waiting for my carry rounds to arrive (CHL arrived Feb.14 of this year). It does fine for what it is, and I’m glad I bought it. I can play with the ride height and cant angles to see what works best for me. I got the ART RFT SS version for my Gen 4 G17 (my only centerfire handgun thus far). With the holster sitting roughly at the 3:00 position, fairly low in the waist band with a fairly aggressive forward cant to be able to get a full unobstructed purchase on the grip, I can conceal the gun with most of my XL sized t-shirts sufficiently (I’m 6’2”, approx. 230 lbs, could stand to lose 5 lbs). I say ‘sufficiently’ because with some body movements, I might print very, very little with my light colored ‘smaller XL’ shirts…you would have to look very closely. I know that darker colored shirts help a lot also.

100_5827 - 1 (Small).jpg

100_5830 - 1 (Large).jpg The circled area shows what sometimes does print very, very little with some of my ‘smaller XL’ shirts. I think it might be because of the thickness of the Remora at that area because of the reinforced top and the sweat shield option. I think with a kydex (or leather) holster, that issue wouldn’t be there.

With the Remora holster riding as I have described, it stays in place when I have my belt snugged up, not uncomfortably tight, but tighter than I would normally wear one. I work from home, and sitting in my office chair (or most any closed back chair) and getting up repeatedly will cause the remora to shift slightly. It might be due to my gun being a fullsize with the full grip .The Remora is nice, but I think that with my fullsize gun, I’m going to like a holster that attaches to my belt better. The Remora will most likely be used for long driving trips when I’ll stick it between the seat and console (or the 60/40 seat in my truck), and/or for a quick holster when answering the door at home and so on.

Living in the south with its very hot and humid summers, I sweat something terrible! Even though I’ll wear an undershirt, I’ll want a holster that does not absorb and transfer sweat to my gun. On a real hot and humid day, I’d probably sweat through the undershirt. I do realize that my gun (Glock) has the Tenifer finish…but I still would like the gun to be dry as much as possible. Since it is a fullsize gun, I want maximum cant adjustability (and gun ride height adjustability).

A holster similar to the Comp-Tac CTAC holster with its full kydex body has my interest. When I’m able (and based on availability) I want to buy a G26. I know that a G26 would/should fit in a closed bottom G17 kydex holster, but I don’t see why I would need the extra holster length when there could be an open bottom option available (slide version for the CTAC). With the open bottom, the tip of the barrel of the G26 would be flush with the bottom of the holster. With the G17 in the same holster, the barrel would stick out past the bottom of the holster.

A question for the veteran concealed carriers amongst us, is there any negatives to having an open bottom holster (to fit multiple lengths of the same gun model) vs a closed bottom?

And to the G17 (or G22) owners that can conceal their guns IWB with a T-shirt. Which IWB full (not hybrid) kydex belt clip holsters do you use?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My edc DeltaPoint-equipped Glock 17 rides at 3:00 all day in a Midworld Gunleather Mid-World Gun Leather - home kydex holster that Mark made to my specs: very deep ride, 20-degree forward cant and wide last to spread the weight and profile. It is totally comfortable, conceals easily and affords great accessability.
    midworld 17 holster 004.JPGmidworld 17 holster 001.JPG
    This design works so well for me that I made a similar model myself to accommodate my very full-sized Smith and Wesson Model 1006 10mm:
    1006 10mm 020.JPG
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sponsor
    There is only one draw back I have heard about to having an open bottom holster (for example, most of the hybrids on the market). That is you could possibly sit down in just the right position against something that could bump the muzzle of the gun and push it up slightly in the holster. This is a stretch, it hasn't happened to me in 3 years. I carry a glock 17 or 32 in this holster Glock 19/23/32 ACE-1 Holster

I think you would really enjoy this holster, and you can carry any of the glock 9mm/40/357 sig handguns in the same holster (although using a G34 or 35 in the holster designed for a 19 or 17 could create a pinch point because the barrel would extend past the leather.) I would suggest picking one up for the G19, as it works well for most the 26, 19, and 17 sizes.

Thanks,
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My edc DeltaPoint-equipped Glock 17 rides at 3:00 all day in a Midworld Gunleather Mid-World Gun Leather - home kydex holster that Mark made to my specs: very deep ride, 20-degree forward cant and wide last to spread the weight and profile. It is totally comfortable, conceals easily and affords great accessability.
    midworld 17 holster 004.JPGmidworld 17 holster 001.JPG
    This design works so well for me that I made a similar model myself to accommodate my very full-sized Smith and Wesson Model 1006 10mm:
    1006 10mm 020.JPG
    I was just looking at your 'The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster' thread. From the pic of you wearing it, it looks ideal to what I would want. I'd probably like to have my gun ride a touch higher. Only thing is that I don't know what degree of cant would work best for myself (20+ degree cant I'm thinking), or what dimension to give for a ride height. I'd hate to order a custom holster, and have it not work for me, and understanding that a custom product could not be returned.

I've looked at the link you posted for Mid-World and see the price for the kydex holsters. Was your custom holster more than the listed prices?

I believe I've read where you also have a G19. Will it work in the Mid-World? It looks like the retention area is around the trigger guard, so barrel length wouldn't matter...correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    There is only one draw back I have heard about to having an open bottom holster (for example, most of the hybrids on the market). That is you could possibly sit down in just the right position against something that could bump the muzzle of the gun and push it up slightly in the holster. This is a stretch, it hasn't happened to me in 3 years.

(although using a G34 or 35 in the holster designed for a 19 or 17 could create a pinch point because the barrel would extend past the leather.)
    Valid points to consider.

Thanks for the link and recommendation, but I'm wanting a full 'gun surrounding' kydex holster.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I was just looking at your 'The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster' thread. From the pic of you wearing it, it looks ideal to what I would want. I'd probably like to have my gun ride a touch higher. Only thing is that I don't know what degree of cant would work best for myself (20+ degree cant I'm thinking), or what dimension to give for a ride height. I'd hate to order a custom holster, and have it not work for me, and understanding that a custom product could not be returned.

I've looked at the link you posted for Mid-World and see the price for the kydex holsters. Was your custom holster more than the listed prices?

I believe I've read where you also have a G19. Will it work in the Mid-World? It looks like the retention area is around the trigger guard, so barrel length wouldn't matter...correct?
    I like the 20-degree cant because it is what the Brommeland models got me used to, and because it aids in the concealment of a longer grip. The presentation is fast once you get muscle memory down. The lower ride adds comfort and concealability for me. I hate getting jabbed in the ribs when I sit down, and the lower ride eliminates that.
    I'm not sure what Mark's final price is going to be on this particular holster, but it will likely be in line with his other products. If you buy one like mine from him and don't care for it, I'll buy it from you for what you have in it. They re-sell easily and quickly.
    Tuco

I like the 20-degree cant because it is what the Brommeland models got me used to, and because it aids in the concealment of a longer grip. The presentation is fast once you get muscle memory down. The lower ride adds comfort and concealability for me. I hate getting jabbed in the ribs when I sit down, and the lower ride eliminates that.
    I'm not sure what Mark's final price is going to be on this particular holster, but it will likely be in line with his other products. If you buy one like mine from him and don't care for it, I'll buy it from you for what you have in it. They re-sell easily and quickly.
    I will definitely keep that offer in mind in my decision, thanks.

About the G19 and how it sits it in your Mid-World (shorter G19 length vs G17 length)...no problem?

I just did a review of the SHTF ACE-1 holster yesterday-http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/162788-review-shtf-gear-llc-ace-1-hybrid-iwb.html

I just recieved mine so I cannot speak to long term comfort, but I can easily conceal my clock 22 IWB with the right pants, and my ruger SR40C disappears completely. solid construction, great price, cant really bea tit. Also, Foxx Holsters makes a great holster as well. I have a "Little Foxx" and I love it. Plus Foxx has free shipping.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I just did a review of the SHTF ACE-1 holster yesterday-http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/162788-review-shtf-gear-llc-ace-1-hybrid-iwb.html

I just recieved mine so I cannot speak to long term comfort, but I can easily conceal my clock 22 IWB with the right pants, and my ruger SR40C disappears completely. solid construction, great price, cant really bea tit. Also, Foxx Holsters makes a great holster as well. I have a "Little Foxx" and I love it. Plus Foxx has free shipping.
    Thanks for that. Looks like a well made product, but I'm not looking for a hybrid holster.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I will definitely keep that offer in mind in my decision, thanks.

About the G19 and how it sits it in your Mid-World (shorter G19 length vs G17 length)...no problem?
    Sure, the 19 rides just fine in that holster.
    Tuco

Sure, the 19 rides just fine in that holster.
    Thanks.

Links