Breaking in new leather holsters?

This is a discussion on Breaking in new leather holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any tips on this. I got this Alessi duty holster off the eBay distributor for my kid. It is the basic Duty holster. It is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in new leather holsters?

Any tips on this. I got this Alessi duty holster off the eBay distributor for my kid. It is the basic Duty holster. It is listed as fitting a G17 and a G22. It is SUPER tight on the G22.

I have inserted it to just let it sit for now till I asked you guys and gals about how to go about the process. As of now its a hair shy of the retainer snap lining up and snapping... but its close... but its dam tight!

Help a holster newbie out.

Added on edit, the kid says he can borrow a training dummy... and he thinks heat and insertion is the way to do it. Confim?

Added again.. on edit: Do any of you leather experts that we have on this board make Duty Belts?
    Last edited by cphilip; November 3rd, 2006 at 06:53 PM.

Putting the gun in a plastic bag and inserting in the holster will loosen it up. I don't know about the heat thing...

VIP Member
    Yeah, try what Hobbes said with the plastic bag and don't use heat!
    Keep working with the snap till you get it snapped and let 'er sit for a few days!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ya think the use of the dummy gun is a good idea? It is a replica G22 for training.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No frikkin heat on leather ... just put it in a ziplock bag and put it into the holster for a day or two .. take your days off or whateaver and stay home if its the only pistol you have .. just that will do fine . if the holster attempts to close back up ( some polimer lined ones will ) do double bag the pistol and do it again .

Edited to add Heck i gave my age away , re the old safariland composite holsters lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I think the heat he was refering to is just warm. Not cold. Like in a warm place or something. He also may be reffering to plastic synthetic holsters or something.

Will try the bag approach. No need to be in a hurry. Its not an issued gun nor an issued holster. And it is complete leather. One of Alessi's duty models.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hey if its not issue and you can do it , well bag the pistol , and let it set for a weekend . Just please dont use heat or shoe stretch , ect on gun leather .

edited to add if that dont fix it , contact lou himself and i bet he will make good on the holster one way or another .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ok... going to go back down to the shop here in a few and extract it, bag it and then bring it up here to the house to sit. Its warmer here as I am not heating the shop right now and it will at least be at a normal room temp up here.

It does go in. And it gets to almost to snap with just a forceful insertion. It's a nice holster. Will be above average for duty use I suspect. And everything I find says G17 and G22 are the same so I have no reason to believe it won't conform to my wishes. At least not at this point.

Let me ask you this, Pistol in bag then into holster or bag in and then pistol? And is the purpose of the bag more to give a slippery slightly thicker layer to form too or to protect the pistol? I guess it could be both.

Think I got it.

For one thing there is a tension (I think?) bridge down below the trigger guard area... that I losened. An allen head bolt and a nylock go through there and goes through what appears to be a plastic bridge down in there. I assume this is for maintaining a gap but also brings it down snug in that area.

Then,with that loosened a bit and with the gun in a plastic bag, I was able to push it down enough to get it snapped. Just barely but snapped in there.

So now just the wait. Thanks for the help.

cphillip,
    Wrap the pistol in a thicker plastic bag; like freezer bag thickness, and put it in the holster and let it sit overnight. Seeing that you purchased the holster on E-Bay, part of the issue may be the fact that I don't think Alessi has made duty holsters in quite some time. in the past few years I think he's been sticking to concealment gear. That said, your holster may be built for an older G17/22 without light rails. The rail guns are thicker dimensionally throughout the dust-cover area, and this could effect overall fit. On a tightly detail molded holster like one of Alessi's concealment holsters (or mine) you wouldn't even be able to fit a G17 rail-gun into a holster made for an older version. Duty holsters are by their nature less detail molded and more forgiving in dimensions. I would make sure the dummy gun is a rail gun, (if that's what your son's pistol is) and go from there.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I don't have any idea when it was made. It's my understanding that it was an extra from a larger group order. And my understanding it that it was a fairly recent order. But... things do get left off in eBay transactions. This seller is a place Lou seems to push out excess stuff too regularly or this guy buys it all up when he can. One of the other. Various pistols and accessories that are left or something. Many of them are concealment styles. He has quite a stock of this sort of thing. Always seems to have a lot of accessories and Don Hume as well. He is located here:

http://stores.ebay.com/MoreGunStuff

I think Lou may be is doing some "duty type" stuff right now as I understand. He told me a week or so back that he was swamped and backed up with military orders. So one might assume not all of that would be concealment styles? Maybe... I cannot say that those are "service" duty type models like this one is. This one is typical Duty gear style which is quite rare to run across now a days. Which is what so interested me in it. 2 1/4 duty belt loop stuff. Retention type of duty stuff on it. Well made though. Just not fully wet formed to the gun exactly like the concealment stuff is.

The bag I used is a fairly thick Zip lock type bag. I don't have the dummy gun here, just was asking if I should get it... I asked because I could get ahold of one if things got scary. The gun that I am fitting into it now is the real thing. A new G22 with rail. It does seem to fit now. But barely. Which, I think, is good actualy... to some degree. Note the comments above about the screw and my latest status.

I will note that it seemed to slip in easier and a tad further inside a bag. However that may be partly because I was less intimidated at pushing on it. And also I had relized that retention bolt was in there.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I agree with mark........if the thumb break is that tight...then you can get it damp and see it you can stretch it over the rear end of the gun and snap it...and then let it dry.
    Just a thought.....
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

If it continues to give me fits after a few days like this I will try the water torture on it.

Gimme a few minutes and I will upload some crappy phone cam picts of it so maybe some of you can tell me more about what you think...
    Last edited by cphilip; November 3rd, 2006 at 10:58 PM.

Says "Alessi Holsters Inc Buffalo NY G 17" stamped into leather on the back of the belt loop portion. Alessi is stylized with the big swirly A and appears as if it was a single stamp used for that. The rest in smaller letters totaly composing three lines. Then the G17 below that. Here it is "in the bag" as it now sits...

I sent Lou an email with those pictures. Busy guy that he is he answered me (super nice guy by the way) Here is his reply.

Hello Phil,

Yes, that's one of our duty holsters. Even though it's stamped for the G-17, it should fit the G-22 with no problem. We molded all the duty holsters with a newer 3rd gen Glock with rails, unless that holster is really an early one.

There isn't any way to tell when it was made. We made thousands of those from 1990 and still make them to this day. I designed that holster at the request of the Buffalo, NY PD. It's designed so that the gun can't be taken from the rear, and is very difficult to take away even from the front, because of the straight up draw.

That one looks like it was never used. I hope you like it.
    Lou

the straight up draw he describes fits it to a T. It does take a straight in insertion. Today I removed it from the holster and went up a bag thickness. I have some really thick zip lock bags here. Like 4 mil thick. Reinserted it with one of those to let it sit a few more days like that. Its coming along...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links