Paddle Holster Opinions Wanted

This is a discussion on Paddle Holster Opinions Wanted within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, not whether or not I should wear one, but which one. I dress for the day, including method of carry. Being retired, I do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Holster Opinions Wanted

Paddle Holster Opinions Wanted

No, not whether or not I should wear one, but which one.

I dress for the day, including method of carry. Being retired, I do a lot of volunteer/meeting stuff as well as tons of errands and shopping. This means entering posted properties where I usually don't carry, and never carry on Federal property such as VA facilities or Post Offices. So, I have some days where I need to unholster and leave the pistol in the car for a bit--I'd like a paddle for those days, as well as for gunning-up for a quick errand.

First of all, no Fobus...no Fobus...well, you get it. I've owned them, I've tweaked them; they are OK for range use, but I will not trust one for carry. No wiggle room on this position, no Fobus.

At this time, I'm drawn (pun intended) to the Kramer MSP paddle in horsehide. It plays like the high end of the spectrum, and everything I've heard has been good. If you have experience with this holster, or have someone you know that carries with one, I'd love to hear how it's gone.

I see that Galco has a leather model too...I know nothing about it and would appreciate any opinions out there. I like leather, so any other leather paddles out there, let me know.

While I'm not too excited about kydex for this project, let me know if you have one that you are really high on, for I will consider it. I still own a CTAC for another gun, and have used a Comp-Tac Locking Paddle for IDPA in the past, kydex increasingly leaves me cold.

No budget restrictions on this purchase, so low cost is not necessarily a point I care about; I mainly want a good product for my intended use.

So, share your thoughts about what you would choose if you were me, and why. I am especially interested in experience with a paddle holster.

THANKS.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

I am considering a paddle holster as well. I like tucker's leather work but they use a hard plastic paddle. Fist uses a cushioned leather paddle so I am leaning towards it. I think it would be more comfortable.

Administrator
    I have seen the Galco CCP & it's a "nice well thought out" paddle holster. I've not worn one so my post is probably not too much help. I can only say that the overall quality looks very good.

Let me see if I can swipe you a photo if I go to the Galco site.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Galco Concealed Carry Paddle

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Contact Kevin at K&D. He posted a prototype here and it looked real promising.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

myusername said:
    I am considering a paddle holster as well. I like tucker's leather work but they use a hard plastic paddle. Fist uses a cushioned leather paddle so I am leaning towards it. I think it would be more comfortable.
    Kramer's description speaks of plastic being used to "reinforce" the paddle on the horsehide version, and I was thinking that maybe that was a plus in terms of better construction, but maybe not.

Mike_1, thanks for the tip...I'll contact Kevin and see what's up. I'd like to do business with him, so hopefully he can help me out.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

kramer is leather wrapped plastic IIRC, Fist's has plastic in the leather too but it also has some sort of foam or other cushion.

Tucker's is just a plain piece of plastic, I think it would be uncomfortable. This is the tucker

Fist:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Contact Kevin at K&D. He posted a prototype here and it looked real promising.
    Mike
    Mike, he has sold a couple of them. I have one and I know for sure Air Force Shooter has one.

JimmyC, Kevin's paddle holster is first rate. You can see mine on this thread.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13971
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I use a Galco PLE (professional law enforcement) paddle holster. It's kind of like the CCP pictured above but its a level 2 retention holster with a thumb break. It's high ride, easy to conceal and comfortable for all day wear. and it's relatively inexpensive.

Although I Use Only IWB Now...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Galco Concealed Carry Paddle
    I do have this same Galco Holster for my Kimber Pro CDP II. It is a quality holster...
    Now I stick with IWB's and either my Ultra Kimber or my Glock-36...

But that Galco is nice...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

dr cmg
    How do you like the paddle? I think it would be a handy item for traveling.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I do have one of Kevins and it is a hard plastic paddle.
    When I have it on I don't even feel it. It's completely adjustable for rake and belt size.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

After Posting Above...

I took my Pro CDP II out of the safe and grabbed the Galco paddle...wore it around today, a little...
    It just doesn't conceal like an IWB...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    dr cmg
    How do you like the paddle? I think it would be a handy item for traveling.
    Mike
    Mike, I use my for my house holster. When I get home from work I immediately take off the Cochise Defender, not because it is uncomfortable, and put the SIG in the paddle holster. Take off the Dockers and put on the jeans. Since I am home I don't have to be quite as concerned that everything is concealed. It conceals easily though. I usually keep on the same shirt I work at work and just tuck it in. If I decide to go somewhere I just untuck the shirt and go.

If I have to go to the courthouse as I did in October, I just take the paddle holster off when I get there. I put the SIG in the COM safe and lay the holster on top of the save when I slide it back under the seat. When I come back out I pick up both, reassemble, and put back on. Around the house I love it. There are always things that require you to get into some impossible position and crawl through a space that is just wide enough for you and the pants. Taking off the paddle is a lot easier than taking off the Cochise and tightening the belt. For travelling to places where you might have to disarm to enter it is great.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

George
    Thanks for the info. I may have to get one coming my way.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links