Defensive Carry banner

Just got my WhiteHat IWB...

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Automatic 
#1 ·
... and I LOVE it! :image035: The comfort factor, over a Remora, is very noticeable. Having all that surface area to distribute the lump of the gun against makes a huge difference, IMO. The light-weight Kahr P9 doesn't even require me to wear a belt either.

So, two months into CC, and my "drawer o' holsters" consists of a Kangaroo Carry, which I'll likely never wear... a Remora w/ Hyde leather, which I'll likely use more for a vehicle holster, or quick-grab option over the WhiteHat. Not too bad, I guess.

#2 ·
Having all that surface area to distribute the lump of the gun against makes a huge difference, IMO.
Yup. Spreading the load can help a great deal. Huge impact on comfort, if the prior choice wasn't anywhere near as nicely distributed ... in terms of weight, pressure points (hot spots).

Congrats on finding a good choice. Some of us don't find a good one for several holsters down the road.

#5 ·
Original. $40. The N82 was my first carry holster for my XDs. But one day a couple months ago I decided to see what all the fuss was about with the dual clip IWB holsters. Waiting a couple weeks for the Whitehat to come, wore it for maybe half an hour. Took it off and put the N82 back on, it was truly an amazing difference how much more comfortable the N82 felt in comparison... I know holsters need a break-in period, but the thing was stiff as a board and the grip of the gun was rubbing me quite a bit. The N82 was soft and comfy out of the box, plus no part of the gun touches my body. They shipped it within a day or two of placing the order.

#8 ·
Interesting, I may have to check it out. I have another week to return the WhiteHat. I can see what you're talking about with the stiffness of the leather, I guess I'm hoping it will soften up and mold over time. The two clips are nice, thing really stays put. My only other experience with IWB is the Remora, and I just don't care for the clip-less style. While it's super-versatile, I find myself taking forever to try and find the "right" position for it every time I put it on. It's never in the same place, same cant, same height... and I do find that it moves around a bit when I'm getting in and out of the car, etc.

But I wonder if that big "stiff" chunk of leather also contributes comfort in terms of distribution, compared to the N82? I found the Remora not too comfortable for that reason, and the N82 looks to be similar in terms of the size... it just adds the clip.

#7 ·
I think it's a problem because of my build. I'm very skinny; 6', 155lbs. Broad-shoulders, but very thin profile (from the side)... so, I have to have the gun in just the right place so the handle doesn't print in the front. Since the pocket on the KC is in a fixed place, I have to rotate the band towards the back, to ensure the handle doesn't protrude out further than my pecs. The strap just keeps pulling the whole band around towards the front, upon any sort of light jarring (like, walking).

I wish the pocket for the gun could slide freely on the band, because this would be a great system for me, when I want to deep conceal.

#9 ·
I love my White Hat Max Tuck.

I've had mine for almost 2 months and opted for the additional velcro clips.

I'm going to write up a review after I carry it for awhile and decide how well it holds up.

So far I am extremely impressed. It is very comfortable, easy to draw from and tucks to almost invisibility

#10 ·
If you dont give a hybrid a chance to break in, you are not giving it a fair shake. Properly broke in they are one of the most comfortable methods carry you will find. Granted, it may not be for everyone, but the general consensus is that they are awesome.

Reactions: niks
#11 ·
Yeah, wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive, wear it around uncomfortably for another 2-3 weeks, or just use a holster that arrived in my mailbox 4 days after I ordered it, ready to be worn comfortably from the start. The choice was easy.

Another thing I love about the N82, is it can be taken on and off in literally 5 seconds, one handed, even while sitting down in my truck.

#12 ·
Here are a few tips to make your MaxTuck even more comfortable...

Take the clips and the kydex off of the leather.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from right to left.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from left to right.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from top to bottom.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from bottom to top.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from diagonally from top left to bottom right.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from diagonally from bottom right to top left.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from diagonally from top right to bottom left.
Roll the leather towards the gun side from diagonally from bottom left to top right.
Repeat the above but roll towards the body side.
Go to the drug store or Walmart and buy a roll of Dr. Scholl's moleskin (you will find it by the foot care products).
Dr. Scholl's Moleskin Plus Roll at REI.com
Attach the moleskin to the body side of your holster.
Will a drill & drillbit, drill out the moleskin from all the holes in the leather.
Reassemble your holster and enjoy the added comfort.
Auto part

Aside from buying the moleskin, you should be able to complete the above process in about a half hour.

Reactions: vanbo
#17 ·
Perfect Holster for me

I agree. Tony is great. I've bought 3 of these. 2 for myself and one for my best friend. Quite amazing once its worn in and molded to you. I can't imagine it being more comfortable... Driving, sleeping on the couch, rolling around in the floor with the kids, just doesn't matter. Perfect holster for my needs. And for $20 bucks, I can swap the kydex to accommodate a new firearm. Can't recommend it fast enough!

#18 ·
Just a quick update... I did the leather rolling trick recommended by 1MoreGoodGuy, and have been wearing it every chance I get... I still love it! It's gotten more comfortable as the leather breaks in more. My FIL tried it on, and loved it too. He had some off-brand/crossbreed knock-off, and he said the WhiteHat is so far superior.

#19 ·
+1 on the White Hat. Being that we don't have CC here, yet. I've only been able to wear it around the house. Went with the horsehide.. Yes, very stiff at first but, breaking in nicely with a couple days wear.
Customer Service was outstanding!! Delivery time was 3 weeks & I went with velcro clips, nickel screws.

I do have a CB gun belt that I had them stitch the velcro on. Extremely well made.
I just felt that the edge went to Whitehat when it came to value & customer service.

Respectfully,
Automatic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.