Suggestions for thin guy with a curved in back for carrying an EMP 9?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for thin guy with a curved in back for carrying an EMP 9? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Winthrop IWB for my EMP and it's not working out too well. I'm pretty thin (in shape... Do a lot of mtb ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for thin guy with a curved in back for carrying an EMP 9?

Suggestions for thin guy with a curved in back for carrying an EMP 9?

I bought a Winthrop IWB for my EMP and it's not working out too well. I'm pretty thin (in shape... Do a lot of mtb and running) and have a bit of a curved in back and my butt sticks out. So the butt on of th gun using the wWinthrop sticks out. The snaps seem to come undone easily too . Any suggestions? I was thinking of a pure kustom because of the preformed curve and multiple angle options of the black ops, or maybe a hybrid.

2. Remove Ads

Finding a holster that matches the specific curves and shape on our individual bodies, given where we choose to carry, can be a challenge. We're each different.

Sounds like the butt-end of the gun isn't being held as snugly into your body as you'd prefer, certainly not enough to easily conceal the butt-end from "printing" through your clothing. This is a fairly common thing for many folks. Generally trying carrying at a different spot along the belt yields better/worse concealment. Am assuming you've tried a variety of spots.

Some questions ...

• Where along the waist are you carrying? 3 o'clock, 3:30, 4:30, 6 o'clock (small of the back)? Have you tried varying it?

• On the "curve": Meaning, around your waist/hip as you go around the "clock," or do you mean vertically with respect to the swell of your hip/leg/butt below the belt area?

• Does your holster have any cant to it? In my experience, with my body shape and preferences, I find forward cant of 20 can make a huge difference, depending where I'm trying to carry it.

• What belt do you have? (ie, double-thick cowhide, 1.5" wide, designed to carry ~40oz large pistols.) It's important to have a decently stiff and capable one, one that's well-designed to support a holstered firearm properly. Ideally, too, I've found it useful to consider a contour to the belt, assuming your body shape benefits from a contoured belt. Sometimes, certain people find straight-as-a-board belts to cut into the hip and do weird things with concealment, hiking the holster out in strange directions given that it won't allow the belt/holster to nicely conform to the curve around the waist at that spot.

• Got any photos of you carrying at the "trouble" spot?

Simplest options for most of us generally include: Trying a different spot along the belt (ie, instead of 3:30, try 5 o'clock). Ensure your belt's really up to snuff, given the load and your body's curves. Evaluate cant, whether having a degree of cant might alter things. Once you've got a line on what the problem is, consider a different holster (as you're doing), as all holsters will have a different shape and match your particularly body shape/size differently.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Carry at 3:00. Your arm will do most of the hiding and take a lot of bending to make it print

Distinguished Member
    As a somewhat tall skinny guy myself, I have found appendix carry to work extremly well for me. Might be worth looking into for you.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I was thinking appendix too. Not sure about carrying a single action there though.

Thanks for the input. I've tried different locations, but with this holsterI ddon't think it'll help. I think I need more cant possibly. Here's a couple pics... Hard to get a good photo. I have a 1.5 inch belt from Jerry Hart Bissell so that's not the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Finding a holster that matches the specific curves and shape on our individual bodies, given where we choose to carry, can be a challenge. We're each different.
    ounds like the butt-end of the gun isn't being held as snugly into your body as you'd prefer, certainly not enough to easily conceal the butt-end from "printing" through your clothing. This is a fairly common thing for many folks. Generally trying carrying at a different spot along the belt yields better/worse concealment. Am assuming you've tried a variety of spots.

Some questions ...

• Where along the waist are you carrying? 3 o'clock, 3:30, 4:30, 6 o'clock (small of the back)? Have you tried varying it?

• On the "curve": Meaning, around your waist/hip as you go around the "clock," or do you mean vertically with respect to the swell of your hip/leg/butt below the belt area?

• Does your holster have any cant to it? In my experience, with my body shape and preferences, I find forward cant of 20 can make a huge difference, depending where I'm trying to carry it.

• What belt do you have? (ie, double-thick cowhide, 1.5" wide, designed to carry ~40oz large pistols.) It's important to have a decently stiff and capable one, one that's well-designed to support a holstered firearm properly. Ideally, too, I've found it useful to consider a contour to the belt, assuming your body shape benefits from a contoured belt. Sometimes, certain people find straight-as-a-board belts to cut into the hip and do weird things with concealment, hiking the holster out in strange directions given that it won't allow the belt/holster to nicely conform to the curve around the waist at that spot.

• Got any photos of you carrying at the "trouble" spot?

Simplest options for most of us generally include: Trying a different spot along the belt (ie, instead of 3:30, try 5 o'clock). Ensure your belt's really up to snuff, given the load and your body's curves. Evaluate cant, whether having a degree of cant might alter things. Once you've got a line on what the problem is, consider a different holster (as you're doing), as all holsters will have a different shape and match your particularly body shape/size differently.
    Attached Images

Good Pictures. One thing that I have found after trial and error is that there are certain shirts that I cannot wear and still conceal my firearm. I suggest purchasing a few slightly bigger shirts to remove the printing of the grip and back of slide...

That was just a shirt I had on when I threw the belt and holster on for the pictures. I also have it kind of pulled tight for the pics too.

OK, on that note, I just started using the Crossbreed Supertuck and like it a lot. It holds the butt of the gun close to my side and the clips don't ride up off of my belt. I went through the multiple adjustments they offer and settled on one that fits my body. They are expensive and take a while to get on the down side.

Messing around with it today, I believe more cant would definitely help with my figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofall View Post
    Thanks for the input. I've tried different locations, but with this holsterI ddon't think it'll help. I think I need more cant possibly. Here's a couple pics... Hard to get a good photo. I have a 1.5 inch belt from Jerry Hart Bissell so that's not the issue.
    Good pics of the area in question. Larger gun, "average/trim" sort of physique. Big butt-end on the gun (which is why the CCO vs fully Gov't model 1911 is useful, to get around exactly this sort of issue).

Looks to me like you're fairly trim, that your shirt has a reasonable amount of "extra" material in it to accommodate the gun. Looks like you've got the quality belt well covered.

Larger gun, but you've got a holster with a fair width to it and decently widely-spaced loops, to help spread the load.

Try moving the gun from ~3 to roughly 4:30 or so. Might take different pants or moving the belt loops, if your holster choice doesn't line up with them well. Or consider the appendix region, for carry, in the 1-2 o'clock range. Sad to say, you likely won't know what works best with your shape/curves until you try a variety.

And, yes, a bit more forward cant might well help. Carried at 3-3:30, like you I tend to have larger guns have their butt-ends protrude on me. Which is the primary reason I love ~20-25 forward cant. Of course, that'll change the angle of the muzzle end, and at some point a larger gun's muzzle is going to start digging into the pants material with "too much" forward cant. But, a balanced approach can help, and on somewhat smaller-butted guns it can make a world of difference to make the bulge at that spot disappear.

A holster that sits even lower might work for you. Or, a "tuckable" design might be preferable.

Keep in mind that all holsters are different in terms of how snugly they hold the top/but ends of the gun to your body. And it'll vary somewhat from body shape to shape.

Might try shirts with slightly more "billow" and patterning, to break up the sight of the bulge/edges. It'll particularly matter when bending forward/around. Generally, plain patterns/colors can show up such bulges worst (or, best, depending on POV).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm 5'8 and 138. The gun is an EMP9 which is the smallest 1911 you can get I believe. 3" barrel and smaller grip. I'm thinking of maybe trying this
    Invisi-Tuck? Extreme CCW Holster - American Holster Company | American Holster Company

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Good pics of the area in question. Larger gun, "average/trim" sort of physique. Big butt-end on the gun (which is why the CCO vs fully Gov't model 1911 is useful, to get around exactly this sort of issue).

Looks to me like you're fairly trim, that your shirt has a reasonable amount of "extra" material in it to accommodate the gun. Looks like you've got the quality belt well covered.

Larger gun, but you've got a holster with a fair width to it and decently widely-spaced loops, to help spread the load.

Try moving the gun from ~3 to roughly 4:30 or so. Might take different pants or moving the belt loops, if your holster choice doesn't line up with them well. Or consider the appendix region, for carry, in the 1-2 o'clock range. Sad to say, you likely won't know what works best with your shape/curves until you try a variety.

And, yes, a bit more forward cant might well help. Carried at 3-3:30, like you I tend to have larger guns have their butt-ends protrude on me. Which is the primary reason I love ~20-25 forward cant. Of course, that'll change the angle of the muzzle end, and at some point a larger gun's muzzle is going to start digging into the pants material with "too much" forward cant. But, a balanced approach can help, and on somewhat smaller-butted guns it can make a world of difference to make the bulge at that spot disappear.

A holster that sits even lower might work for you. Or, a "tuckable" design might be preferable.

Keep in mind that all holsters are different in terms of how snugly they hold the top/but ends of the gun to your body. And it'll vary somewhat from body shape to shape.

Might try shirts with slightly more "billow" and patterning, to break up the sight of the bulge/edges. It'll particularly matter when bending forward/around. Generally, plain patterns/colors can show up such bulges worst (or, best, depending on POV).

^ Looks like a good choice, to try out.

Uncertain whether you're open to Hawaiian-style "camp" shirts, but many folks find the patterns can help dramatically break-up the visibility of little bulges and corners that would otherwise be seen. ie, Rusty Zipper Vintage Clothing, Paradise Clothing Co., Tori Richard, Aloha Shirt Shop, Richard David, Davis'.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just a thought a left handed inside the wiste worn in the middle of your back allowing a right hand draw. This is where I settled and the indent in my back allows me to drive with comfort with the gun in place. The only down side is you have a hard time drawing while driving other than that it has been my answer.

Ughh.. 8 month wait... Think I'll try an old Faithful hybrid and see if I can get that to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links