To combat cut or not to combat cut...that is the question.

This is a discussion on To combat cut or not to combat cut...that is the question. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my Crossbreed Supertuck Horsehide for a few months now and I really like it thus far. I'm just regretting not opting for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: To combat cut or not to combat cut...that is the question.

I've had my Crossbreed Supertuck Horsehide for a few months now and I really like it thus far. I'm just regretting not opting for the combat cut when I ordered it. I find it difficult to get a positive grip on the draw with the standard cut, have any of you encountered this problem? Did you just incorporate a different drawing technique into your training regiment? Or did you modify your Supertuck yourself? Or did you send it in to Crossbreed to have them apply a combat cut to it?

I'm thinking of doing my own combat cut, any suggestions warnings or tips? I'm just worried how the Horsehide will respond to cutting it whether or not the edges will fray, I'm just not sure if Crossbreed somehow seals the edges when performing the cut?

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Nope. I have never had a problem with my standard cut. I have pretty thin hands, though. I could see how some people might have a problem.

VIP Member
    I have done it myself on a couple. It isn't difficult. Just go slow and remember, you can take more off but you can't put any back.

It really is easier to just have Crossbreed do it when you order.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Like they say, measure twice, cut once. Never all the way the first time. That's what she said anyway.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    My Crossbreed for my PPS is NOT cut, however for my HK P2000 SK is Cut. Reasoning, with the PPS I'm normally not wearing a shirt between it and my body (Night Events), with the HK I'm normally wear an Under Armory cool shirt between it and my body (EDC). In the temps here in Vegas the not cut gives me protection from moisture. Both are horsehide.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I did a combat cut on my qwik tuck myself.

I traced the outline of the area below the trigger guard and the area under the beaver tail of the holstered pistol with a pen. I tired to leave as much material as possible while still improving my grip. Then I used a sharp edge of a little survival tool credit card thingy I had laying around. Basically I used it like a chisel. I also used one of those foam sandpaper blocks to round the edges like the rest of the holster looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Sponsor
    I'd cut it, I can't stand not being able to get a full grip before you draw, it should be a pretty simple thing to do as well.

-Clay

Re: To combat cut or not to combat cut...that is the question.

Proper initial grip is vital. Congrats on considering the question at all. More people who carry need to actually train and see if their gear/setup really is as good as they think it is and test their skills and technique.
    oldnfat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I'd cut it, I can't stand not being able to get a full grip before you draw, it should be a pretty simple thing to do as well.

-Clay
    What do you suggest I use to cut it with Clay? Sharp kitchen scissors, exacto knife, tin snips?

I made my own horsehide/kydex IWB for my first carry gun, a CZ82, and I combat cut it. A week later the left side grip screw was starting to rust from skin contact. I modified the holster by adding another layer of horsehide to the back and it has been great ever since. I say don't cut if you can learn to live without it.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingcontact View Post
    Proper initial grip is vital. Congrats on considering the question at all. More people who carry need to actually train and see if their gear/setup really is as good as they think it is and test their skills and technique.
    Which begs the question: why are they available " wrong" in the first place?
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Which begs the question: why are they available " wrong" in the first place?
    Perhaps a holster mfg not understanding holster design and or trade off.

Big sweat shield protects the gun and body but limits the grip.
    No sweat shield no protection but provides a full grip.

I cut my crossbreed and will not be ordering anymore holsters without the combat cut knor will I be paying extra for combat cut.

I cut mine to get a positive grip on my pistol.

+1 on the combat cut. It is much better for acquiring a good grip on your pistol when drawing..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
    Perhaps a holster mfg not understanding holster design and or trade off.

Big sweat shield protects the gun and body but limits the grip.
    No sweat shield no protection but provides a full grip.

I cut my crossbreed and will not be ordering anymore holsters without the combat cut knor will I be paying extra for combat cut.
    I do not understand why a maker would charge extra for something that should have been done in the first place, and involves little, if any extra effort in the manufacturing process.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links