Galco told me this

This is a discussion on Galco told me this within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to get the trijicon hd night sights on my glock 19. I use a Galco KingTuk and I e-mailed Galco to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Galco told me this

Galco told me this

I am wanting to get the trijicon hd night sights on my glock 19. I use a Galco KingTuk and I e-mailed Galco to see if they knew if the holster had enough clearance for the front sight and they told me this

"Hello Mr. xxx,

Thank you for contacting Galco. We do not recommend Trijicon HD night sights be used with the KingTuk holster.

Gerard Dunlap

Galco Gunleather

800-874-2526"

I'm kind of surprised by this response I looked at the holster and I thought they should make it, but I wanted to see if Galco could provide better input. Does anybody here have a KingTuk with the trijicon hd night sights? Anybody else have recommendations on a comparable night sight?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Seems like a pretty dumb way to lose holster sales to me.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Seems like a pretty dumb way to lose holster sales to me.
    Just spoke with them on the phone and they told me the reason they don't recommend those night sights is because the sight could snag on the kydex and break it and/or the sight. Went on to say that the kydex is brittle and abrasive and he wouldn't risk a $150 pair of sights on them and recommended me to buy a different holster. I asked him what sights they did recommend for this holster and he told me they don't have any recommendations.........
    Though the guy was very nice I'm very surprised that they would bash there own product and basically say don't use it and to get a different holster for my glock 19 that covers the entire gun if I want to use expensive sights.....or any aftermarket sights for that matter...... (like the v hawk he recommended).
    Disappointed with Galco's support for this product. Any personal users of the KingTuk here that use the HD's?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
    Just spoke with them on the phone and they told me the reason they don't recommend those night sights is because the sight could snag on the kydex and break it and/or the sight. Went on to say that the kydex is brittle and abrasive and he wouldn't risk a $150 pair of sights on them and recommended me to buy a different holster. I asked him what sights they did recommend for this holster and he told me they don't have any recommendations.........
    Though the guy was very nice I'm very surprised that they would bash there own product and basically say don't use it and to get a different holster for my glock 19 that covers the entire gun if I want to use expensive sights.....or any aftermarket sights for that matter...... (like the v hawk he recommended).
    Disappointed with Galco's support for this product. Any personal users of the KingTuk here that use the HD's?
    Do you already own the KingTuk? If not, just pick up a Crossbreed, White Hat, SHTF Gear, Theis or any of the other quality hybrid holsters that would all most definitely work with Trijicons.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Do you already own the KingTuk? If not, just pick up a Crossbreed, White Hat, SHTF Gear, Theis or any of the other quality hybrid holsters that would all most definitely work with Trijicons.
    Yes. I already own the KingTuk.

VIP Member
    Yes. I already own the KingTuk.
    Ah, too bad. I don't have one, nor have I ever even held one but I highly doubt that you'd have any problem with Trijicons. Good luck, hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer.
    NRA Life Member

To be fair to Galco, not all after-market products are designed to play well with others.

Looking at the sharp-edged nature of the front sights (of the Trijicon HD), I can see how they might be concerned. Particularly if they've got experience with many folks having such an issue with their sights already.

Nobody really questions why big red-dot sights aren't supported with basic holsters, given the obvious size. But in the case of shrapnel-sharp edges on things, I can see how it could easily cut into a leather holster and/or snag. Uncertain how bad the THD sights are, but apparently Galco thinks they've got good reason to specifically recommend against it.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I personally prefer a holster that covers the entire gun,I would be more worried about the sight grabbing the holster during a SD draw either preventing,or slowing down your draw giving the BG time to engage you first
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

They don't specifically single out this sight as an issue they just simply recommend against it, they could not give me any recommendations for sights to use with the KingTuk. They said to try it maybe it won't be a problem, but the guy I spoke to said he wouldn't risk it on such expensive sights. I'm going to call trijicon tomorrow and see what they say.

I like Galco ( a lot ), but they tend to err on the side of caution. They don't offer a Galco Concealable for a Walther PPK/S. They do for a Sig P-232 having almost the same dimensions. I asked if I could use the Sig holster for my Walther. They wouldn't recommend it. The holster fits my Walther like a glove.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Maybe Trijicon has a "carry melt" variant of the front sights, to sidestep this exact issue.

I knew there was a reason Novak and others designed their "carry" sights the way they did.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. As i was thinking of adding nite sites to my m&p. And I have the king-tuk also.

VIP Member
    I'm confused. They were up front with you. They lost a sale but they did so knowing that you would likely be disappointed if you purchased the product. Seems like an honest response from Galco, and seems like they deserve some props. Am I misinterpreting your post?

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'm confused. They were up front with you. They lost a sale but they did so knowing that you would likely be disappointed if you purchased the product. Seems like an honest response from Galco, and seems like they deserve some props. Am I misinterpreting your post?
    No, they didn't lose a sale. I already have the King Tuk holster. They just want me to buy another holster ($130 holster).

Oh NO! I didn't even think about that! My Kimber & Glock 19 barrel / front sight extend beyond the holster and can now see it getting hung up.

I just ordered a set of Trijicon HD myself a couple weeks ago. No one anywhere had the HD'S with green front and yellow rear in stock and amazon lists a 1-3 month back order. Should have ordered the green - green everyone has in stock?

I even spent a couple hours reading all the reviews on these sights and no mention of holster hang-ups. Maybe not a big deal?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links