Holster materials

Holster materials

This is a discussion on Holster materials within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What type of leather, or other material, is the best for IWB, OWB and other types of holsters? Do you favor one over the other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holster materials

What type of leather, or other material, is the best for IWB, OWB and other types of holsters? Do you favor one over the other and why?

DC Founder
    I have leather (cowhide, I assume), Kydex and nylon. I lean heavily towards leather for IWB although I have a Kydex that is reasonably comfortable. OWB I have leather and nylon. They both have their place, I like leather. I do like the Serpa that APachon had a link for for OWB, though. That looks pretty versatile for the rare occasion I carry OWB.

HighFever
    I have limited experience but use nylon. I like the Kydex ones I have seen and may try one next. I just can\'t afford a custom leather right now.

Ive tried leather and kydex. I am currently and always recommend Kydex. It is thinner and more impervious to persperation and chemicals than leather. It doesnt sqeak and doesnt rot out. I am currently carrying in a CompTac CTAC. it has small leather tabs for flexability...so I guess Id have to say I carry in both :)

I also carry in a Smartcarry...so I guess Id have to say denim as well!!

Ive tried both and right now i find leather just fits me better making easyer to hide gun ...
    Also its more comfortable for me ..

I like Kydex.

Administrator

Leather

I\'m a leather guy. I\'ve worked doing serious leather work for a long time & so (I Admit It) - I\'m very biased toward leather holsters, accessories & belts.
    I think properly constructed & nicely finished leather holsters are beautiful as well as being utilitarian.
    There is plenty of room in the world for good quality holsters made from all materials (natural & synthetic) though.
    Buy from a reputable top maker - whatever material you decide on.

VIP Member
    Elastic.

I love the looks and durability of leather, but I like to cut down on weight as much as possible. Most leather holsters add extra profile on me, and nothing so far has been able to beat the discreet carry of a belly band.

1943 - 2009
    I admit to being a purist. I like leather holsters, wood stocks and lead bullets.

DC Founder
    Anyone have any preferences to the type of leather? Cowhide, horsehide, shark, other exotics?

Administrator

Cowhide VS Horsehide & Exotic Leathers

More Than You Probably Ever Wanted To Know About Holster Leather. :huh:

Top quality cowhide is great for all holster & knife sheath applications. Horsehide is great also. There are differences in the two leathers though.
    Most \"Exotic\" leathers are very thin & they are usually always either mounted on cowhide or used as a \"set in\" inlay.
    Snakeskin, ostrich, eel, stingray, shark, lizard skin, \"alligator belly\" are all too thin to be used alone & so they are \"surface mounted\" on backing leather when used for the construction of a holster. So...(in other words) when you buy an \"Ostrich Skin\" holster then you are actually buying \"Ostrich Leather Mounted On Cow\" - Some of the most BEAUTIFUL ostrich leather is taken from the leg/knee of the ostrich...that is really neat looking leather!
    Lizard skin, eel skin, & ostrich skin \"exotic leather\" cowboy boots are also all mounted on a base leather.
    Stingray skin is AMAZING with its little tiny \"hard as a rock\" bumpy nodules & it is EXTREMELY resistant to any sort of surface abrasion but it\'s also very difficult to stitch & you\'ll pay lots more for that extra fabrication trouble.
    REMEMBER...that there is a huge difference between actual \"genuine\" exotic leather mounted on cow hide and EMBOSSED exotic leather patterns pressed into the grain of cow hide. Those are called exotic leather prints.
    Cowhide \"dyes and finishes\" beautifully.
    In my opinion the location of the leather on the hide is also very important in making the finest quality leather holsters. The leather up near the spine is best - it\'s called the \"back\" leather. The shoulder leather is \"just right\" for western leather Cowboy Holsters - The leather near the belly is not very good & way too soft & stretchy. Belly leather is probably never used by ANY of the top quality holster makers.
    Also very important is the direction that the holster pattern is laid out or cut from the hide. Cowhide stretches more following the \"belly line\" - around the animal - much more than it does from the \"head to rear\" of the animal & so the main holster body needs to be laid out in a \"fore & aft\" direction that minimizes unwanted stretch.
    Finest quality tanned cowhide leather can be exactly molded or \"boned\" to the shape of the weapon that it\'s intended to house. Part of the higher cost that you pay for top quality leather rigs is due to the \"waste\" of some leather that cannot be used for highest dollar holsters.
    Many makers will \"fit in\" smaller items like cuff cases & magazine holders so that leather waste is minimized.
    Horsehide is much stiffer & more difficult to mold tightly to the firearm. It is tougher to work with. Horsehide is naturally slightly more impervious to sweat. On the \"down side\" it is slightly more abrasive to a weapon finish on its interior flesh side than cowhide. I don\'t think horsehide looks nearly as nice as properly dyed cow. Cowhide conforms easier & quicker to the human body - horsehide takes longer to \"break in\" & to \"pull in\" to the waist as tightly as cowhide.
    Horsehide will \"make up\" into a stiffer holster.
    Is one material actually BETTER than the other?
    I don\'t think so. You\'ll NOT go wrong by buying a Horse or Cow holster from any of the top makers.
    Horsehide is always more expensive & I\'m not sure that the price difference gives you all that much more \"bang for your buck\" than top quality cowhide.
    Oh...By The Way...Cows Tend To Like Horse Hide Holsters Best And Horses Always Prefer Their Holsters Be Made Made From Cow Hide! :)

Now why would anyone want a dead animal holster when you can have Kydex? :)

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I\'ve had kydex, and it was too thick for me. I understand they\'re making it thinner nowadays, but I don\'t like it\'s lack of \"give\" against my body (for an IWB - it would be fine for an OWB).

The holster I use most often now is the denim SmartCarry, but that\'s probably not what this thread is asking.

QKShooter, your post was very interesting; I had not realized that ostrich boots are really \"Ostrich-on-cow\".

So, here\'s a question. Kangaroo boots are light and the leather is thin and quite tough (and banned in CA). Is anyone making holsters out of kangaroo leather? Seems to me that would be great.

Howdy !

Kangaroo is chrome tanned - it has chromic acid residue in it that will literally eat anything made of tool steel. It is also too thin and light to offer the necessary level of support of the firearm. It would have to be backed with \"moo\" or pony hide like any other exotic.
    A high grade cowhide or horsehide are really the only games in town for making a proper holster.
    QK Shooter pretty much nailed the rest of it, although I have a definite preference for \"bends\" rather than \"backs\" - they are esencially the same cut of leather, except the bend is substantially smaller and has almost no waste.

Administrator

Gary Brommeland

Anybody here that has not clicked on Garys link yet. (See Above In His Posted Comment)
    Please Do it! It is well worth the \"click\" to check out his ultra high quality gun leather. His holsters are mighty fine looking.
    Read what he says about the great Hermann Oak leather that he uses.
    He sez it all on his site much better than I did here.
    CLICK HERE & LEARN ABOUT FINEST COW HIDE
    :kay: Thumbs Up X 10 For Brommeland Gun Leather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links