Remora - Reinforced open top or not?

This is a discussion on Remora - Reinforced open top or not? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had mine for SR9C for about 1 week now with the RFT. Am thinking I may want to exchange it for an original. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Remora - Reinforced open top or not?

I have had mine for SR9C for about 1 week now with the RFT. Am thinking I may want to exchange it for an original. What think you guys? The RFT makes things a little bulky.

I have the SR40C. From what I have seen on YouTube and have read here. I am seriously thinking of the Remora 6ART with full sweat shield. The difference I gathered with the reinforced top was for single hand reholstering. I plan on getting that and a 3Speed deep conceal 3 Speed Holster. I really want to avoid the traditional holster setup of belt and special dress and a kydex or leather holster (I also want to keep costs down).

I think I am the minority, but I really like the reinforced top. Its nice for reholstering, but also it is nice to be able to easily holster the gun even if it is not in your waistband. There is no thinking involved, the gun goes right in the same way every time.
    ironmike86 and USM1976 like this.

Mine do not have the reinforced top and I am very happy with them. I think I'd only get that feature if I really needed it. In my case, I just reholster using both hands.

I have both for different guns. I prefer the reinforced top. I like the ease of putting the gun in. It's basically the same size just reinforced

Thanks for your responses. I guess I'll keep the RFT for now and order an original somewhere down the line. I have an original coming for my snubbie and that may help me decide also.

I haven't tried it but to me, reholstering is not going to be an issue if used in the capacity I carry. I love the way the Remora gets to know my Sig as I carry it every day, the custom fit around it gets better and better and I need that big of a gun to stay as concealed as possible, which is why I went with the 10ART model and am very happy with it. We will see as summertime comes around if I need to get a sweat shield model if it is close to skin but to answer your question, nope, not needed in a defensive carry gun holster like this, but is a personal option.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

I have (had actually...I just sent it back for exchange on Saturday) the Series 7 Tuckable without the RFT. I just returned it to Alan for the RFT version. I am still waiting for my CCW to get returned, but in the home, I have found the non-RFT version collapses too much when I am doing draw practice at home. It becomes a two handed operation, and in some cases, removing the holster and re-positioning it just to holster the weapon. I am hoping the RFT version makes one handed operation better. Granted in a SHTF situation, re-holstering is probably the last thing on my mind, but from a practice/muscle memory drill, it is a pain in the butt.

BTW....just a plug for Alan and his entire Remora staff. The return process was as simple as an email request. No problems taking back the previous holster. Fantastic customer service. If you decide to send it back, they will take great care of you!

Just my .02 worth...ymmv.
    DJC7 likes this.

I got 2 new Remoras in the mail today and I have discovered something that might help you out on your next purchase. I got a 3B RFT and a 3B with the lining option. Both have the sweat shield. Both of these holsters stay open compared to the regular holsters from Remora. Long story short, buy a lined holster with a sweat shield and it makes a less bulky holster but the opening is about the same as RFT but is thinner to carry.

Both of my Remora holsters have all of the options except the reinforced top. It adds bulk and as their web site says, unless you have a need for fast re-holstering, then don't get the reinforced top. I am very happy with my choice, which is why I got the second one for my other carry choice.

Just got my 9RFT w/ sweat shield for my Taurus Judge PD Poly. So far I'm liking it. Ordered a Remora for my Glock 26. If I get this with the lining, do you think I can do away with the RFT?

Quote Originally Posted by BBerry View Post
    Just got my 9RFT w/ sweat shield for my Taurus Judge PD Poly. So far I'm liking it. Ordered a Remora for my Glock 26. If I get this with the lining, do you think I can do away with the RFT?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I got 2 new Remoras in the mail today and I have discovered something that might help you out on your next purchase. I got a 3B RFT and a 3B with the lining option. Both have the sweat shield. Both of these holsters stay open compared to the regular holsters from Remora. Long story short, buy a lined holster with a sweat shield and it makes a less bulky holster but the opening is about the same as RFT but is thinner to carry.
    i agree. i got a full sweat shield with the leather hide lining. it is very thin material, but it is stiff enough to hold open somewhat for re-holstering. may be the answer for easier re-holstering without the bulk of the RFT.

Distinguished Member
    FWIW I am not overly concerned about a re-enforced opening for my carry guns as I will only draw them if I have to use them. I am not a cop who has to chase down a criminal with my gun drawn and then hold him down to handcuff him and have to re-holster my gun while struggling with a felon. With a Remora I simply remove it and holster my gun and place it back where it was. If I have to leave my gun in my car to enter a Post Office I remove the gun in the holster so I have yet to have to re-holster a carry gun but I am not you and your circumstances may be different. I do see some guys draw their guns to show their friends in private areas but my guns are not for show. They are tools that I keep hidden and never show to anyone who asks. If my gun leaves my holster it is to defend my life and reholstering will not be an issue.
    dV8r likes this.

I prefer holster I can re holster with. Even when I re holster I don't rush and make sure theres nothing in the way. Alot of the AD happen with the re holster with the shirt getting in the way with striker fire pistols. I find the RTF remora add little to nothing in bulk compared to the other. I find the Remora holster to be bulky anyway. But they are a good option for a quality inexpensive holster JMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links