Retention with Crossbreed/SHTF IWB holsters

This is a discussion on Retention with Crossbreed/SHTF IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are these sort of holsters able to retain the weapon when you're being active, bending, reaching, etc.? If I'm carrying, I'd want to be able ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Retention with Crossbreed/SHTF IWB holsters

Are these sort of holsters able to retain the weapon when you're being active, bending, reaching, etc.? If I'm carrying, I'd want to be able to do whatever I need to do without saying "hey, hold on while I put my weapon in my car before I help you move that heavy item".

I know having a strap that goes over the back end would slow down a draw, but 99% of the time, I think the idea of the weapon falling out would be more of a concern than taking an extra step in presenting the weapon.

I wear a crossbreed style hybrid IWB holster and my weapon does not move at all. The holster it self has enough retention for me to hold it upside down and the weapon not slide out. Also when you put it on, the curve of your body puts more retention between the leather and kydex.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, I thought not having a retention screw on the SHTF ACE 1 holster would be a problem, but it has as much retention as my old
    Blade-Tech.

If I can jump up and down without the gun falling out, I know I'm good to go.

Some guys might opt to reheat the kydex a bit, but I'm not to that point yet.

The ONLY bad thing that I can say about SHTF GEAR is that they don't offer
    any CZ 2075 RAMI holsters quite yet.

Both products and customer service seem to be more than adequate, and I'm not
    hearing of wait times for up to 6 months like I've done with other Hybrid holster
    companies.

The most comfortable Kydex holster I've ever worn!

Retention should be good with either CB/SHTF, If you want more check out Oldfaithful holsters the shell is held on with screws instead of rivets so you can adjust retention to your likeing. IMHO you cant hardly beat the price either.

I had a CBST for my M&P9c and it was a delight to wear. The gun never moved and the holster was very comfortable! I ordered one for my Px4 Compact 6 weeks ago today so I'm expecting that shipping notification any time now! :)
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchSR9C View Post
    I wear a crossbreed style hybrid IWB holster and my weapon does not move at all. The holster it self has enough retention for me to hold it upside down and the weapon not slide out. Also when you put it on, the curve of your body puts more retention between the leather and kydex.
    This^^^ I have a galco king-tuk and it works the same way.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Yes, I have both, the CB and the Galco king Tuk but I use the Galco for my EDC. I bought the Galco because it was available with no wait.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I haven't done any running, but I play pretty rough with my kids on a regular basis and have never had a problem with my CBST. They also send you instructions with it on how to heat it up and increase the natural retention.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Walk softly ...

I'd like to chime in here for the other side of the coin. I have a MaxTuck, and I can't get the retention tight enough. I noticed it last weekend when I was running up the stairs in my house. I could here my XD9 jumping in and out of the kydex. I've heated it several times, but still haven't gotten it tight enough yet. I wear it at about 5 o'clock so there's not much bend in the leather inside the kydex to cause tighter retention.

Crossbreed super tuck has great retention. I wrestle with my kids/dog, and it's stays where it's supposed to.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

For those of you with good retention, where do you wear it? Since I wear mine at 5 o'clock, there is not a lot of bend in the leather to push against the kydex.

VIP Member
    I bought one Crossbreed Super Tuck early on, and found its lack of its own retention to be one of several things which has caused me to avoid the hybrid platform.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    For those of you with good retention, where do you wear it? Since I wear mine at 5 o'clock, there is not a lot of bend in the leather to push against the kydex.
    I wear mine at about 3:30
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I have one made by Dustin (member here) @ Ozark that is similar with excellent retention and my carry is a full size steel 1911 (see thread custom holsters half price)

Custom holsters at half the price!!!

I have several SHTF ACE-1 holster and the retention is excellent. I can take either my ruger SR40C or my Glock 22 and turn it upside down and it stays in place. Also there is no lateral movement either, so it will not shift in the holster either. I highly recommend SHTF, I wouldnt ttrade mine for anything
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links