Strong side shoulder holster?

This is a discussion on Strong side shoulder holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking around and am having a hard time trying to find a shoulder holster that sits on the right side and is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Strong side shoulder holster?

Lightbulb Strong side shoulder holster?

I have been looking around and am having a hard time trying to find a shoulder holster that sits on the right side and is made for you to draw from with your right hand. Does this exist? I have looked at Uncle Mike's, Bianchi, Blackhawk, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but I can draw very quickly from this position with a belly band. Just looking for something with no elastic. The gun needs to sit vertical...

2. Remove Ads

Neale Perkins of Safariland, likes to tell the story of how John Bianchi came to him years ago at the SHOT show, saying "have you seen the Mattel holster over at Bill Rogers' booth"? That led to Neale acquiring the rights to Rogers' product line that became "Safarilaminate", and Safariland becoming the big fish over Bianchi, and one day to Safariland effectively owning John's company!

With that in mind, it would be imprudent for someone like me to call your idea "crazy" (your word), so how about a pic or two of how you envision it carrying, and how you would draw it? Safety during the draw would be my primary consideration. Cheers,

I can't imagine I'm seeing it in my head the way your looking to carry but when I reached to try and replicate the draw it would require(the way I'm thinking), it hurts my wrist;) However I've got wrist issues lately, but that said it seems like an overly complicated place to carry and I think Red is spot on, with what I'm envisioning your going to flash your muzzle across your entire torso on the draw.

Either way maybe I'm wrong, but explain more of what you need and how it will ride or find a picture, or even take a picture with the belly band and likely someone here can either line you up with a maker or tell you it won't work;)

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Here is what it looks like when I am concealing the Glock 19 with a belly band:

dress-shirt.jpg

Here is the band without the dress shirt:

band-front.jpg

Here is the band from the side:

band-side.jpg

And here is the draw:

drawing.jpg

I have gotten really fast at drawing, using the following method:

1. Take the left hand and grasp the dress shirt near the tip of the barrel of the gun.
    2. Yank the left hand up while the right hand follows close behind and grasps the gun. (At this point the right elbow is of course protruding outward.)

Oh and as far as safety during the draw: The pistol comes up and out and at no time covers my chest.

Administrator
    You could buy a stock GALCO right hand vertical shoulder holster because they are furnished with really long harness straps.

Then move the holster over to your strong side leaving the adjustable harness straps long....move your magazine pouch over to your support side.

You would need to use a holster tie down to your belt on your strong side so that your holster would "stay put" when you were drawing your firearm from a location that far down.

And then another belt tie-down on your support side if you're not going to keep your spare (counter balance) magazines over on your support side.

That should work unless I didn't get enough sleep last night.
    Aceoky likes this.

You mean Galco left hand vertical shoulder holster?

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Based on his photo he would need a shoulder holster for a right hand draw; butt of gun forward when worn normally but towards the rear when swung around under his right armpit.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    After seeing, in my mind, what you are trying to accomplish I have only one question. Why? Any shoulder holster set up as you describe is going to require a very convoluted draw. Not very safe and very awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    After seeing, in my mind, what you are trying to accomplish I have only one question. Why? Any shoulder holster set up as you describe is going to require a very convoluted draw. Not very safe and very awkward.
    I need to be able to wear a tucked in dress shirt. Maybe when my Blackhawk tuckable holster arrives it will do the trick and I won't need what I am describing. But I tried a friend's just now and it printed badly. I am of the firm belief that different holsters work for different people. Maybe this belly band wouldn't work for you. For me, I can conceal in the excess of the shirt that is at my side very well. I have also gotten fast drawing from there. Perhaps it will not be my permanent solution. We'll see. But I don't see why you think it is not safe. I don't cover my chest while drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You could buy a stock GALCO right hand vertical shoulder holster because they are furnished with really long harness straps.

Then move the holster over to your strong side leaving the adjustable harness straps long....move your magazine pouch over to your support side.

You would need to use a holster tie down to your belt on your strong side so that your holster would "stay put" when you were drawing your firearm from a location that far down.

And then another belt tie-down on your support side if you're not going to keep your spare (counter balance) magazines over on your support side.

That should work unless I didn't get enough sleep last night.
    Yeah this might work with this holster. Cost a lotta money, though!

I dont understand how you would properly support the holster in such a position and still maintain an unobstructed draw. it would trequire a front and rear strap on the holster, which means the front strap impeded the draw movement...... from a tactical standpoint, you may be able to draw quickly from said position, but how quickly can yo get to the gun ? When wearing an over shirt, the shirt is going to try and block your because the shirt will not move much that far up. On the waist, the hem of the shirt has a very large degree of movement allowing to easily throw it back and grasp a weapon. Im not saying your method couldnt be done, but i see to much room for error. also, reaching that high is not a natural motion for the body, meaning it will not be as fluid as it could / should be. However, in the end, if it works for you i wont say dont do it. Just practice practice practice, and be safe.
    perfection likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Administrator
    No...I had to think about that for a minute myself. A right hand vertical that is normally worn on the left hand side. He would need to place that over on his right hand side lower down toward the waist.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I need to be able to wear a tucked in dress shirt. But I don't see why you think it is not safe. I don't cover my chest while drawing.
    OP, I respect your viewpoint, and agree that individuals can choose their risks. I, for example, fear being swallowed whole by a shark, so I don't surf off Western Australia , but others do.

Having seen your pics, I would say that creating an inverse shoulder holster might be, as Jeff Cooper used to say (RIP), " a solution to a non-existent problem". But that's OK, that's how innovation occurs. Nevertheless I don't feel your method of carry meets the bar for your safety; that is, if we had to "shoot then draw" rather than "draw then shoot", your method would be the LAST to be chosen, because the "modified cavalry draw" used actually, of necessity, twists the muzzle into the torso during drawing. That red line I've added to your pic doesn't pass in front of your body; it drills straight down into your pelvis, which my Ayoob training taught me is one of the very BEST ways to bring a man down, by destroying his ability to stand.

drawing.jpg

fireballs (3).jpg

Whereas the same holster, worn on the opposite side (crossdraw) would twist the muzzle away from the torso. As with a vertical shoulder holster.

If it HAS to be done, a forward draw belt holster, mounted on a shoulder harness as was often done with belt holsters by companies like Heiser in the 1910s to 1940s, would be the way to do it. And a studied, practiced approach to the drawing motion.

We banned the slanted chest holsters at the Bianchi Cup that were Tom Campbells "answer" to the "surrender position" required there; because of a fear that the muzzle would cross the shooter at his left.

I have this for my Glock-36... FIST, INC.

Fist makes this Vertical Shoulder Holster and it is an easy draw for me, but from my left side (I'm right-handed). You can have it made for either side...great quality, but not cheap!
    I use it for long trips and cool days when I can wear a jacket.
    I've just started using it a bit more...very comfortable.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links