AIWB Holsters that pull grip closer to the body

This is a discussion on AIWB Holsters that pull grip closer to the body within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has experience with an AIWB holster that pulls the grip of the gun closer to the your body. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AIWB Holsters that pull grip closer to the body

New Member Array skydivingmouse's Avatar

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with an AIWB holster that pulls the grip of the gun closer to the your body. I currently carry a G19 with the Vangaurd 2 and I do like it but I wish the grip of the gun would pull in closer to my body. I've searched for a while now and have seen a few designs that may accomplish this but I can't find a solid review on them.

Suggestions?

...I've always accomplished this by moving the clip up on the holster...allowing the gun to sit lower in the beltline...takes about 30 mins to slit the threads and resew...much more comfortable...I move it about an inch...still draws quickly...

...welcome to the Forum...

Sponsor
    Google "Custom Carry Concepts, Shaggy".

I co-designed this holster with a federal agent specifically for AIWB carry. The body of the holster has a wedge formed into it to pull the grip in tighter to the belly.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Not much you can do with that Vanguard holster but I stuck a piece of foam in a wedge shape down on the lower part of my holster. I think this is pretty much the best way to get any AIWB holster (that's a full holster) to set the grip closer to the body.

Here's a thread that has some good examples.

Padding for Appendix Holsters
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Also, there's a few holsters that are considered the common AIWB holsters and I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find all sorts of comprehensive reviews on all of them.

In no particular order they are: Dale Fricke Archangel, the above mentioned Shaggy, C&D Pardus and Keepers Concealment. (yes, I realize there are a whole bunch of other choices as well, these just seem to be the most common IMO)

I've never tried any of them but I think all would be worth trying since you probably aren't going to be able to do much with the one you have. FWIW, I use a Blade-Tech Nano and I'm perfectly happy with it for AIWB. It's easy to convert it over to a canted position as well, so I can carry at 4 o'clock when I feel like it.
    NRA Life Member

The wedge at the bottom really forces the top of the slide deeper into the stomach area, but to force the grip of a duty size weapon into your body takes a specifically designed holster. It has to have some sort of wedge built into the holster area that the belt makes contact with, which turns/torques the grip into the body. All the holsters below have such designs built into them.

The CCC Shaggy

JM Custom Kydex

The Keeper

Dark Star Gear

5 Shot Leather SME

This picture from left to right is a C&D Pardus, a CCC Shaggy and a Dale Fricke Archangel. The Pardus and Shaggy have a grip tucking wedge built into the holster and the Archangel does not. It's a slight change in design that pays off in better concealment of the grip.

Dale Fricke Archangel with a G19. No grip tuck feature.

CCC Shaggy with G19 with a grip tuck wedge built into the holster. See the difference? Archangel grip hangs out over the belt a little more than the Shaggy. Add a foam wedge to the bottom of the holster and it conceals even better, plus it adds padding to the bottom of the holster.

Wedge, no wedge.

TX expat and Phaedrus like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Does the thickness of the wedge cause any concealment issues?

Thank you for the great picture BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by skydivingmouse View Post
    Does the thickness of the wedge cause any concealment issues?

Thank you for the great picture BTW.
    I thought it would when I went from the DF Archangel to the CCC Shaggy, but it did not. There might be a little bulge up front every now and then depending how my body is positioned, but the back of the grip prints through my shirts no longer. My chest size helps my cover garments drape over the holster very well in front. YMMV.

I have heard people claim the Shaggy did not conceal well. It depends on a lot of little things. Body type, position worn, gun belt, size of weapon carried. If you carry a duty size weapon like me (G17), then a grip tuck feature is a must.

I use JM Custom Kydex holsters right now, I've had 5 to 6 DF Archangels and a couple CCC Shaggys. I prefer a grip tucking feature that is built into the holster.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

So are you running JMs AIWB Holster or there IWB Version 2.

The Version 2 is kind if what I had in mind for a holster designed to pull the grip in more.

Quote Originally Posted by skydivingmouse View Post
    So are you running JMs AIWB Holster or there IWB Version 2.

The Version 2 is kind if what I had in mind for a holster designed to pull the grip in more.
    You asked about appendix holsters.
    JM's Version 2 is not a appendix holster because it has forward cant, which does not work well for appendix.
    Raven has a appendix holster with a winged strut that is suppose to tuck in the grip, but I have never used one. I hear the winged strut breaks from other users.
    I use 2 JM Custom Kydex appendix holsters. Both have a wedge to tuck the grip, and also a foam wedge at the bottom to tuck in the slide.

One is made for a G17 with a Crimson Trace LightGuard, and the other is for a plain G17.

Phaedrus likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Doesnt all this padding and wedges just make the gun print differently?

Looks like the wedge tucks the grip in but pushes out the wedge area.

i just modified a N82 Original that i recently bought for IWB carry and made it a dream come true for appendix carry with no grip printing issues. the actual belt clip on this holster fits into a leather sleeve which has a rectangular slot near the bottom. a ridge on the bottom of the clip engages with that slot and holds the belt clip in place. i took an exacto knife and cut out a similar slot an inch higher on the leather sleeve, wedged the clip loose from the bottom slot and slid it upwards till it popped into place in the new slot. the whole rig now rides an inch lower and the bottom of the grip is captured behind my belt, holding it in close to the body. still fairly easy to grab and draw quickly. also, the N82 is one of the most comfortable on the market and gives full body protection from any sharp edges. my EDC is a px4storm sc with 3" barrel, so it coexists peacefully with the other inhabitants of the nether regions.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
    Doesnt all this padding and wedges just make the gun print differently?

Looks like the wedge tucks the grip in but pushes out the wedge area.
    Nope. The wedge simply helps keep the pistol in a more straight up and down position. The wedge, at least not the one I use, isn't large enough to actually push the bottom of the holster out.
    NRA Life Member

Glock 23 in High Noon Public Secret AIWB or High Noon Double Jeopardy worn tucked AIWB.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpg Public Secret
    click image to enlarge....

Image.jpgImage 3.jpgImage 1.jpg Double Jeopardy
    click image to enlarge....

Both do a good job keeping the butt of the gun into your side.

High Noon Holsters

Regards,

FlaRon
    Phaedrus likes this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

So just thought I'd update you guys on what I've decided on given the great product info you all have shared.

My decision was based on these factors:

Holster design
    Lead time
    Price

I used these three categories because all the holster I had to choose from were all HIGHLY recommended from many individuals.

After all these I chose the JM Custom Kydex AIWB Holster.
    The holster design had the main features I was looking for (kydex and grip tuck).
    The lead times are great at 4-5 weeks.
    The price I felt is very fair at $75.

Thanks again for the help and many great recommendations. Hopefully many will benefit from this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links