Reholstering with Kangaroo Carry, one handed. What's it like?

This is a discussion on Reholstering with Kangaroo Carry, one handed. What's it like? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I am considering the Kangaroo Carry for my Sig P290RS. Looks like a nice deep conceal option with reasonable accessibility through the neck ...

Thread: Reholstering with Kangaroo Carry, one handed. What's it like?

Reholstering with Kangaroo Carry, one handed. What's it like?

Hi All,

I am considering the Kangaroo Carry for my Sig P290RS. Looks like a nice deep conceal option with reasonable accessibility through the neck of my polo shirts. Looks like I'd be using the standard, which does not seem to have the velcro retention strap.

Can anyone who owns/uses these tell me how the reholstering experience is? I saw the guy on their website reholster but I'd like to hear from you all.

Thanks,
    ThumperACC
    Last edited by ThumperACC; March 30th, 2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Edited thread title.

2. Remove Ads

Don't have a Kangaroo Carry. Quick question: are you really gonna try and draw through the neck of a shirt? I ask because I recently got a Pistol Wear "Trump Card" holster Pistol Wear - Comfortable Concealment Holsters For Concealed Carry and was thinking of using it with a 5.11 Tactical shirt with snaps instead of buttons on front and the holster as in chest carry. Tried it out. Not that swift! I think that even with practice, I would be DOA if trying to draw from that holster in ANY position.

I taped the retention strap (magnetic button not Velcro...) out of the way but no cigar. It is good to bring your weapon to the party but it would be terribly slow in a draw situation. I'm guessing drawing thru your shirt neck would be, too. What about a Smart Carry? SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

First off it is not a nice deep conceal option with a thick gun. Your arm will be pressed against it all day long. Drawing is cumbersome even without the stress of life and death. Re-holstering is difficult at best. I bought two of these holsters and never used them. Just not practical. Pocket carry is a MUCH better option with the 290RS. That is how I carried mine. Much more accessible and quicker to get into action. However I know a lot of new shooters who buy guns first and then think about how they are going to carry them. I always look at holster and carry options before I buy a gun. Many do the opposite and some get surprised when they find that their choices are limited or the gun is too heavy/big for pocket carry or too heavy/big for belt carry, etc.. I teach new shooters and recommend what is best but most just get what they want and within a few months end up buying a second gun because their first choice did not work out like they thought. Tucking it into your belt or pocket for a few minutes at the gun store is not the same as carrying it for a few hours. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    First off it is not a nice deep conceal option with a thick gun. Your arm will be pressed against it all day long. Drawing is cumbersome even without the stress of life and death. Re-holstering is difficult at best. I bought two of these holsters and never used them. Just not practical. Pocket carry is a MUCH better option with the 290RS. That is how I carried mine. Much more accessible and quicker to get into action. However I know a lot of new shooters who buy guns first and then think about how they are going to carry them. I always look at holster and carry options before I buy a gun. Many do the opposite and some get surprised when they find that their choices are limited or the gun is too heavy/big for pocket carry or too heavy/big for belt carry, etc.. I teach new shooters and recommend what is best but most just get what they want and within a few months end up buying a second gun because their first choice did not work out like they thought. Tucking it into your belt or pocket for a few minutes at the gun store is not the same as carrying it for a few hours. :)
    Yeah, I've pocket carried for years. Had everything from a Glock G26 down to a Micro Desert eagle in the pocket, and the 290RS is in my pocket as I type this. Pocket carry definitely has its advantages. Drawing from a sitting position is not one of them.

Looking at other options. I want an IWB option and a body band/shoulder rig/T-shirt holster option. There are times when I don't want to pocket carry and want other options.

Thanks,
    ThumperACC

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    Don't have a Kangaroo Carry. Quick question: are you really gonna try and draw through the neck of a shirt? ...
    Check out the videos on Kangaroo Carry. Those guys do it, reasonably well too. Oh and a friend has the pistol wear trump card, I would not even try drawing through the neck of a shirt with that, so I see your point.

As for SmartCarry, I wear my belt low on my hips. No room for a smartcarry.

Links