Leather VS Hybrid VS Kydex for G30

This is a discussion on Leather VS Hybrid VS Kydex for G30 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just about to pick up my new Glock 30 and I'm wondering what, if any, holster you guys prefer for concealed carry of this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leather VS Hybrid VS Kydex for G30

I'm just about to pick up my new Glock 30 and I'm wondering what, if any, holster you guys prefer for concealed carry of this gun. I currently use a Bianchi leather IWB for my Taurus PT100. I'm considering a Hybrid for the 30 and have been looking at the Old Faithful holsters. They seem to be built fairly nice and I like the adjustability, plus the replacement Kydex is a nice feature. I am hoping to find some guys with experience with a couple holsters for advise. All suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks

I use a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock that I altered to wear in the 4:00 position.....also a Kydex from JS Holsters for my 30sf.

Sponsor
    You will definately find a lot of people who like the hybrid design. I suggest giving a look at the SHTF Gear ACE-1. Here is a link to the holster for the glock 30.

Glock 30 ACE-1 Holster

Glock 22-1.jpgGlock 22-2.jpgGlock 22-3.jpgGlock 22-4.jpgGlock 22-5.jpgGlock 22-6.jpg

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I like the Comp-Tac Minotaur Neutral (I carry appendix) for my Glock 23. I also have a White Hat that is canted for 4:00 carry. The WH is pretty good for the money, but I have found the Comp-Tac to be the most comfortable by far. If I buy another 4:00 holsterm it will be a Comp-tac.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Thanks for the response everyone! This gives me something to compare the Old Faithful to. Also now that we are on a roll, does anyone use a tac light on their G30? I have been thinking of getting one and no one I have found makes a holster for the 30 with a light. I've been looking at the Streamlight TLR-1s. A little more food for thought.

Look at the Kholster and the Crossbreed, both similar, but the Knolster is cheaper with the same quality and the wait time is less.

I definitely think a hybrid is the way to go for a thicker gun like the G30 for IWB carry. They're comfortable and secure. I like being able to adjust the ride height and cant. I've spent a lot of money on high quality leather holsters in the past. I've liked some, but others just didn't work for me with certain guns, and I ended up selling many of them. Hybrids are more versatile. I have a Tommy Theis horsehide for my G30 and G26. I've had good luck with his holsters. They are high quality and only take 2-3 weeks. I prefer the standard metal clips, but he does offer other options like kydex clips. I ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck horsehide earlier in the year for a Sig, and it took exactly 8 weeks (as advertised). The horsehide is slightly thicker than the Tommy Theis holster, but other than that, they're very similar. I personally like the Crossbreed metal clips better than any others I've found. I don't care about their cross logo since my shirts are untucked. SHTF Gear makes a great holster, and they're quick. White Hat Holsters is another excellent hybrid holster option. I don't know their wait time right now. Kholster makes a great product, but I prefer the leather cut of the other makers mentioned.

Thanks for the responses. It's looking like the Hybrid is the way to go so far. All the brands you all have mentioned here have their own specific positive qualities. The ability to assemble the Old Faithful from kit form does kind of set it apart. I like the Tommy Theis, and the Crossbreed I've also looked at the whit Hate line. Comp-Tac is also nice but they all have the same thing in common. None of them have a holster for the 30 with a Tactical Light. Although I don't have one for the gun as of yet I am thinking of getting one. Does anyone here have a light on their G30 or thoughts on holsters for the application?

If you want to carry your gun with a light, Kydex is really the only good option. There are many companies that can make holsters for guns with lights, including mine, but check out Raven concealment and some of the others and get an idea of what they look like. Also, If you are going to put a light on that small of gun I would suggest you go with the TLR3. It is much more compact than the TLR1. The TLR1 is more suited to a large frame gun like a G34. I have a TLR3 on my Kel-Tec PF9 and it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    If you want to carry your gun with a light, Kydex is really the only good option. There are many companies that can make holsters for guns with lights, including mine, but check out Raven concealment and some of the others and get an idea of what they look like. Also, If you are going to put a light on that small of gun I would suggest you go with the TLR3. It is much more compact than the TLR1. The TLR1 is more suited to a large frame gun like a G34. I have a TLR3 on my Kel-Tec PF9 and it works really well.
    Looks like you make some nice stuff! Thanks for the advise, I'll look into the TLR 3. They sell both at my LGS and for about the same price, when I asked that question about size they stated the TLR 1 would fit just fine just stick out 1/2 inch or so in front of the barrel. Like I said before I buy I'll have to fit it, right now I'm looking at options. Getting my ducks in a row so when I do buy I don't do the Homer Simpson DOH! Thanks again for the advise I'll take it close to heart.

Funny.......Hybrids are so popular and I'm sure the retention is good.....but for me, it's just way too much leather to put on and spread of those clips....I've always used a IWB holster with a single belt clip with no problem.....be it kydex or leather....but that's just me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Funny.......Hybrids are so popular and I'm sure the retention is good.....but for me, it's just way too much leather to put on and spread of those clips....I've always used a IWB holster with a single belt clip with no problem.....be it kydex or leather....but that's just me.
    Same here. A properly fitted steel j-clip on a quality 1.5" belt and it's solid. Also very easy to put on and take off when I'm running in and out of gov't buildings.

The double-clips require that you unbuckle. 'Usually frowned upon in public parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrguy View Post
    I'm just about to pick up my new Glock 30 and I'm wondering what, if any, holster you guys prefer for concealed carry of this gun. I currently use a Bianchi leather IWB for my Taurus PT100. I'm considering a Hybrid for the 30 and have been looking at the Old Faithful holsters. They seem to be built fairly nice and I like the adjustability, plus the replacement Kydex is a nice feature. I am hoping to find some guys with experience with a couple holsters for advise. All suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks
    For CC purposes, why not try and find a Glock 30S? They are hard to find at the regular price right now, though. It has the Glock 36 upper and Glock 30SF Lower: Glock 30S | G30S | .45 Caliber Pistol | GLOCK USA , the 30S will fit into a Glock 23 holster....doesn't get much better than that!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I have a old faithful holster for my sr9c for about two years haven't had a trouble I have one on order now for my g30

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    For CC purposes, why not try and find a Glock 30S? They are hard to find at the regular price right now, though. It has the Glock 36 upper and Glock 30SF Lower: Glock 30S | G30S | .45 Caliber Pistol | GLOCK USA , the 30S will fit into a Glock 23 holster....doesn't get much better than that!
    The 30s is a great gun from what I hear but here in California you have to be LEO to own one. Yeah I know it sucks! So that option is out. The 36 is a great gun as well but limited to 6 rounds, and the 30sf didn't feel as good in my hand, thats why I opted or the 30. Also the 30 just shoots better for me. I went to a local range a rented the 30, 36 and a 27 before I made my decision.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links