AIWB vs IWB

This is a discussion on AIWB vs IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious to get opinions on AIWB vs IWB with an M&P C 9. I've read all of the concerns about accidental discharges and the removal ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Phaedrus
  • 2 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By Afflicted
  • 1 Post By PEF

Thread: AIWB vs IWB

AIWB vs IWB

Curious to get opinions on AIWB vs IWB with an M&P C 9. I've read all of the concerns about accidental discharges and the removal of one's bits and pieces, especially w Glock and M&P style guns. I am quite fond of all of my parts and hope to go out with them all intact, but am paranoid enough that I am extremely cautious reholstering. Presently use a Remora at around 4:00 but like the look of both the Theis AIWB & IWB offerings. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Well, I'm in the camp that says the gun won't go BANG! all by itself. Use a quality holster and keep your finger off the trigger, and you'll be fine. I have a Theis but the AIWB must be new, I didn't realize he offered it. I would definitely trust the Theis! His stuff is very well made.
    Afflicted likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

tcox4freedom and SWIll like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have both Theis models. I use the standard two clip hybrid for my edc SR40c. I recently picked up a snubbie for quick trips to the store and such and ordered his aiwb for it. It is very well made, as all of Tommy's holsters are. The clip is positioned over the gun and pushes the grip close. I like this design better than a offset clip, though it does cause a bit more bulge. It much easier to put on than the standard hybrid and I find myself grabbing the snubbie more often because of the ease of wear, I will probably order one for my SR as well.
    Kennydale likes this.

I have been carrying AIWB for several years, and I still have all of my parts. Negligent discharges occur when you are negligent. Use a quality holster, inspect it to make sure it hasn't become misshapen, re-holster carefully, and KEEP YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

VIP Member
    I've had a negligent discharge. And I'm a safety freak. But I was negligent. Funny thing about being negligent - most people don't plan on being negligent.

For me, because I know my limitations, I've decided I'll go with a graze scar on my butt check instead of three-inch gap in my femoral artery.

I'm not saying appendix carry is unwise. What I am saying is there's no room for error. And I wasn't comfortable with AIWB before my ND, either.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

My gut would not allow AWIB, but if you can pull it off, I'd say, "Go for it!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I've had a negligent discharge. And I'm a safety freak. But I was negligent. Funny thing about being negligent - most people don't plan on being negligent.

For me, because I know my limitations, I've decided I'll go with a graze scar on my butt check instead of three-inch gap in my femoral artery.

I'm not saying appendix carry is unwise. What I am saying is there's no room for error. And I wasn't comfortable with AIWB before my ND, either.

How did this occur? Were you carrying SOB? I ask because you mention a scar on your butt cheek. To me reholstering behind the back is a hazardous endeavor; there's no way to see what you're doing or verify that there's nothing in the trigger guard like loose clothing or even our finger. With AIWB it's all in front of you. Obviously you need a quality holster that you can trust to protect the trigger but that's true no matter what clock position you carry in.

Not trying to change your mind, though. If I ever had an ND in my holster I'd be spooked too!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    How did this occur? Were you carrying SOB? I ask because you mention a scar on your butt cheek. To me reholstering behind the back is a hazardous endeavor; there's no way to see what you're doing or verify that there's nothing in the trigger guard like loose clothing or even our finger. With AIWB it's all in front of you. Obviously you need a quality holster that you can trust to protect the trigger but that's true no matter what clock position you carry in.

Not trying to change your mind, though. If I ever had an ND in my holster I'd be spooked too!
    No, it was a ND during holstering/unholstering. It was a different situation. But my point is I was never initially comfortable w/ appendix carry, and after my ND I'd doubly uncomfortable. The ND was unrelated to holstering, but it reminded me that I'm not infallible. So, if I ever do have a ND while holstering/unholstering, and I am injured as a result, the injury will be minor (hopefully).

Lots of people appendix carry, and they are comfortable with it, which is fine by me. It's just not for me.
    Noobie likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I agree that appendix carry is less safe

Gun safety rules exist for a reason and should always be followed. But, as PEF notes, safety rules are sometimes ignored, often unintentionally. If it were as simple as "Just keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire," there would be no need for the multiple gun safety rules we adhere to, and mechanical safeties would not be engineered into guns. A human may well be one of the most unreliable safety devices on the planet. And, guns can indeed go off without touching the trigger. It's a rare event, but it has happened.

A holster is a safety device. Making sure it fits your handgun, covers the trigger, and is in good condition is an essential safety practice. Choosing where to wear the holster is also a safety consideration. As to comfort, all AIWB holsters I've seen attach to the belt at a single point, where the better hip holsters attach at two points, which provides a more secure and comfortable attachment. Should an ND or AD occur in the holster or while unholstering or reholstering, the consequence is far more likely to be fatal with appendix carry than with hip carry.

As such, seems to me that appendix carry can be construed to violate Cooper's first two rules of gun safety — treat the gun as if it were loaded and don't point it at anything you're not willing to destroy. But, it's your genitals, your femoral artery, and your life.

There is little of value that I could add to the above. The pros and cons are well-stated.

Except a simple homily that puts it all in a nutshell (no pun intended): if we carry as if we will shoot first, and draw second, we will make the truly safest choice.

As opposed to the theoretical, from which arguments are made.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Links