Slim Gun Belt?

This is a discussion on Slim Gun Belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a gunbelt from Crossbreed, but it's so thick that I find it hard to wear. It creates such a huge bulge around ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Slim Gun Belt?

Slim Gun Belt?

I recently bought a gunbelt from Crossbreed, but it's so thick that I find it hard to wear. It creates such a huge bulge around my holster that my shirt is even more likely to get caught up on it and expose my gun. I realize that the thickness kinda comes with the territory of having a stiff gunbelt, but can anyone recommend a "thinner" version? Or, should I just go the route of a belt that is not specifically labelled "gunbelt"? I'm carrying a p938 in a Minituck, so I don't have a whole lot of weight to deal with...

And, to tag on to this, have any of you ladies out there tried Lisa Looper's gun belts? Are they any thinner?

2. Remove Ads

I had much the same feeling about an uber-stiff belt from Kramer Handgun Leather. Exceptional belt, but very much a "gun" belt. For me, it was far too stiff for daily use. Switched to belts from TheBeltMan and much prefer them. They're about as thick, but a tad less stiff for daily use, but that difference (along with the taper out front) is what makes it far more comfortable for me. From a general thickness standpoint, this was about at the limits of my belt loops' ability to handle a thick belt, and it was a bit tougher to use with snugly-fitted holsters (given the thickness/toughness of the belt itself).

But, you're most concerned about the thickness itself.

You could go to a single-thickness belt, or a belt that's made with a thinner/lighter hide. Kramer specifically offers both a double-hide and a single-hide version of its belts. Some vendors use 10/11oz hide, whereas others use 6/7oz hide (or something in between) and then stitch them together. They vary. Many specify on their web sites, though many don't (in which case you'll need to call/ask).

Here's a description of the belt leather and process used in the A&G Custom Gunleather belts: click. They also offer a single-hide belt option in their line (the "Paul's" belt).

Here's a description of the Bullhide SuperBio belt. At 3/16" it's a tad less thick than many others on the market: click.

The BeltMan belts are double-hide using 6/7oz hide, with a 1/4" finished thickness.

Here are links to several belt makers:

The Belt Man
    AG Custom Gun LeatherAG Custom Gun Leather
    Bullhide Belts - SuperBIO Indestructible Belt
    Hanks Clothing Amish Belts
    Two Fools Leather Goods on Etsy
    Galco Holsters & Belts -- offers single-hide belts
    Kramer Leather & Belts -- offers single-hide belts
    Looper Leather
    High Noon Holsters
    Ted Blocker Holsters
    Simply Rugged
    Ridgid Holsters
    RG Leather
    The Wilderness
    Orion Leather Co.
    Original S.O.E. Gear
    Lobo Gun Leather
    Jerry Bissell
    Daltech Force
    Ares Gear
    Aker International, Inc.
    rugerista and mwhartman like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Galco makes thin belts and they are less expensive also. The brown was a little too light so I used leather dye to darken it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

not sure how thin these are but they seem to have decent reviews. I do not own one but have been thinking about it for a while now.

Hanks clothing amish belts Hanks Clothing Amish Belts - CCW Belts - Free Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by UVAgirl04 View Post
    I recently bought a gunbelt from Crossbreed, but it's so thick that I find it hard to wear. It creates such a huge bulge around my holster that my shirt is even more likely to get caught up on it and expose my gun. I realize that the thickness kinda comes with the territory of having a stiff gunbelt, but can anyone recommend a "thinner" version? Or, should I just go the route of a belt that is not specifically labelled "gunbelt"? I'm carrying a p938 in a Minituck, so I don't have a whole lot of weight to deal with...

And, to tag on to this, have any of you ladies out there tried Lisa Looper's gun belts? Are they any thinner?
    I wear a 1.5" Velcro lined Crossbreed belt w/ Glock 27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck every day with dress pants and I don't have any problems. I'm 6.0' - 150lbs. It's the best gun belt I've ever owned (not too stiff not too soft). Mine also has an added Velcro lining, still no problems with thickness. When you start thinning out your holsters platform, you could run into issues. It sounds like you don’t have it on tight enough and your holster is leaning outward OR your shirt is just too tight around the waste. I just measured the belt thickness w/o Velcro and it's a little less than 5mm, it's not the belt. Most people don't pay any attention to your waste or try to decipher why there is a bulge unless you look suspicious. My wife can never tell, she always asks, "are you carrying", and I say, "none of your business".

I never carry at the hospital where I work, this post refers to my daily non-working hours.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post
    not sure how thin these are but they seem to have decent reviews. I do not own one but have been thinking about it for a while now.

Hanks clothing amish belts Hanks Clothing Amish Belts - CCW Belts - Free Shipping
    I just ordered one of these so I will post an update once I have recieved it and tried it out!

Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post
    I just ordered one of these so I will post an update once I have recieved it and tried it out!
    I purchased one. Its a nice inexpensive belt. I dress "business casual" for work and for me the belt and buckle don't look right with wool dress pants. Its great for weekends and jeans. Good quality materials. The belt I got only has one layer of leather but its very strong.

Wow! Went to lunch, came back, and had all this great info waiting! Thanks, everyone!

@ ccw9mm... Thank you for all those links! Paul's belt from AG cutom gun leather sounds like just what I'm looking for. Your post was really helpful to me!

@ddclancy.... Funny thing about those Crossbreed belts... My husband got one as well, and we each bought the basic leather with no basketweave or anything, but there was a very noticeable difference in the stiffness. His is much more flexible than mine, while still being supportive. His was also measurably thinner, even though it was double layered. I promise my belt was on plenty tight (in danger of creating a muffin top where there wasn't one previously!), and my gun wasn't sticking out any further--it was simply the huge bulge across 3/4 of my back created by the thick, stiff belt.

I'd still like to hear about Lisa Looper's belts if anyone has any personal experience with them.

Wow! Went to lunch, came back, and had all this great info waiting! Thanks, everyone!

@ ccw9mm... Thank you for all those links! Paul's belt from AG cutom gun leather sounds like just what I'm looking for. Your post was really helpful to me!

@ddclancy.... Funny thing about those Crossbreed belts... My husband got one as well, and we each bought the basic leather with no basketweave or anything, but there was a very noticeable difference in the stiffness. His is much more flexible than mine, while still being supportive. His was also measurably thinner, even though it was double layered. I promise my belt was on plenty tight (in danger of creating a muffin top where there wasn't one previously!), and my gun wasn't sticking out any further--it was simply the huge bulge across 3/4 of my back created by the thick, stiff belt.

I'd still like to hear about Lisa Looper's belts if anyone has any personal experience with them.
    Now I'm curious, is there any chance they may have made an error on the one you received and sent it with an internal stiffener? Not sure it they even offer an internal stiffener but it sure sounds like it. Two belts of the same type should be the same thickness and flexibility most of the time.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

@Bullseye, that's an interesting thought. I didn't order the belt with an internal stiffener...I just checked their site and don't see anywhere that it is an option even.... Forgive my ignorance, but I just figured that my belt came from a cow with a thicker hide. That, and my belt is shorter than my husband's, which could possibly lead to a stiffer belt??? I may very well be totally off the mark with my logic...

I think I am going to get a single layer gunbelt and see if that solves my dilemma.

An <advanced search> for keyword=Looper (in the title) for date=anytime pulls up a number of past discussions on the Looper belts, including a couple from just months ago.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Interesting dimmema here....have you tried calling Crossbreed, they have a warranty. Believe it or not, you could have a defective belt, perhaps the glue holding the 2 layers of leather is bad or something???

On another note, it took me about 2 months to break my Crossbreed belt in.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I bought a Beltman belt, and agree I just don't want to wear something that thick and bulky. I bought a 5.11 Trainer belt; it's thinner and more flexible, and still holds up my holster/gun just fine (Kahr P9, WhiteHat IWB).

Links