Firearm concealment laws in Texas?

This is a discussion on Firearm concealment laws in Texas? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know about firearm concealment laws in a vehicle in Texas? I'm thinking about making a device to where my handgun is being held ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yoda

Thread: Firearm concealment laws in Texas?

Does anyone know about firearm concealment laws in a vehicle in Texas? I'm thinking about making a device to where my handgun is being held under or near the steering column. Its not "in plain view", however, it is easily seen if someone walks up to the car and peeks in the window. Legal or not?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

From the Texas DPS FAQ Page:
    Q. Can I carry a handgun without a license when driving or traveling in a Motor Vehicle?
    A. Effective September 1, 2007 a person who can legally possess a firearm may possess or carry a handgun in motor vehicle (including a recreational vehicle with living quarters) and watercraft that is owned by or under the lawful control of the person. However, the firearm must be concealed, the person may not be engaged in criminal activity, and also may not be a member of “Criminal Street Gang.” The person may also carry the firearm to and from his vehicle without a license. (See Texas Penal Code 46.02 (a). However, DPS recommends that you seek the advice of an attorney with any questions regarding the unlicensed carrying of firearms.

Concealed means concealed.
    Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may. - Samuel Houston

If you've ever driven across Texas, you know how different one area of the state can be from another. Take El Paso. It looks as much like Dallas as I look like Jack Nicklaus.
    Lee Trevino

That may or may not be legal and some cops will have issues with it regardless. Even in its legal, cops only have a basic understanding of the laws and they pretty much all dislike exposed firearms. That gives you a pretty good chance of a trip downtown or worse. What about covering the device with a box and a buttoned flap? That way its concealed in a clickable container, yet still ready to go.

I think I might be more worried about smash and grab burglars because they specifically looking for valuables in your car.

But you must conceal it to be legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hopyard likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I know unless the laws have changed,in N.C.,the firearm is suppose to be visible while traveling,(excluding CCP).I heard Georgia was like that,but,i don't know for sure.I never much liked doing that,having it in plain view.Texas laws sounds about like our's,so far as it being in car.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Does anyone know about firearm concealment laws in a vehicle in Texas? I'm thinking about making a device to where my handgun is being held under or near the steering column. Its not "in plain view", however, it is easily seen if someone walks up to the car and peeks in the window. Legal or not?
    If it can be seen by merely "peeking in the window", I seriously doubt it would pass muster as "concealed".

Concealed means concealed. If you want to keep it there for easy access, stick some cloth over it that is velclro'd to the dash to hide it. It doesn't have to be pretty, just hidden from view.

After reading this thread, and my same thread on the other two forums, I have decided against it. However, I greatly appreciate everyone's advice, and the time they took to respond. Thanks.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Sponsored Links