First IWB holster, questions about tension

This is a discussion on First IWB holster, questions about tension within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hit the range today with new MTAC IWB. I love the comfort and conceal ability but I figured out REAL quick that I suck at ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cn262

Thread: First IWB holster, questions about tension

First IWB holster, questions about tension

Hit the range today with new MTAC IWB. I love the comfort and conceal ability but I figured out REAL quick that I suck at drawing from IWB at about the 4 o'clock position.

One thing I noticed is that the kydex seemed to hold the gun VERY tight. I could get it out but I had to tug pretty good.

So I'm looking for advice about the proper tension. Obviously it can't fall out but how do I make sure it's set up perfect?

I know it will take a lot of practice and I'm willing to take the time. I just want to be sure I'm doing it correctly.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You want the holster to be tight / firm so your pistol doesn't dislodge except when you are drawing. I have a few IWB holsters and found that the ones that are adjustable (like the Minatour) worked best for me with slightly more of a cant then they were delivered with. It is easier to get a good grip and draw, and also easier to reholster (definitely something you want to practice). Most of my IWB holsters are Kydex (both with and without leather backing), and I never found any to be too tight. The holsters with leather backing did seem to loosen up with use.

The other thing I found is that having a solid belt that was tight helped quite a bit. By keeping the holster rigid and in the same location it was definitely easier to draw and reholster.

As an aside, after hearing many recommendations for the Milt Sparks VM2 I finally purchased one. I use that almost exclusively now. It's the most comfortable and easy to draw / reholster holster that I have. It also conceals better than most. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Hope this helps.
    Yarg28 likes this.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the cant adjustment and maybe just lightly loosen the kydex to see how it does.

Going to check ou the milt sparks also

I think personel preference.
    Mine is the further back it is worn the more forward cant required.
    I prefer way less tension then others as I dont spend anytime standing on my head doing backflips etc, The standard of the gun being held upside down and staying holstered is way more tension then what I prefer which is more like if the holster stays on the gun when upright and only held by the grip.

Definitely a good belt is key. My own rule on tension is i hold the holster upside down an it should just stay inside the holster not fall out but close. It works for me.

VIP Member
    Try loosening the two screws beneath the trigger guard. That should relax the retention.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I have dealt with kydex holsters in the past, but I have two things I don't like about kydex...it doesn't bend and mold to the body, and it wears out pretty quickly.
    My first choice for IWB holsters is not leather, you may find that out, too. Kydex certainly has its place, and many like to use kydex holsters. Because it is so 'non-flexible', it will hold the gun tightly...always. Leather will mold itself to the gun, still holding it tightly, but also allowing for a smooth draw. A kydex holster with tension screws can be adjusted, but there's not much give to make it a perfect fit.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links