What is the consensus on the Galco Jackass rig?

This is a discussion on What is the consensus on the Galco Jackass rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to pick up a holster for the colder months but told myself I wasn't going to spend a fortune, nor was I going ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDE101

Thread: What is the consensus on the Galco Jackass rig?

What is the consensus on the Galco Jackass rig?

I wanted to pick up a holster for the colder months but told myself I wasn't going to spend a fortune, nor was I going to buy a cheap nylon wanabe.

I ran across a LNIB Galco Jackass holster for the Glock 23 with the offside double magazine holder. The seller sent me detailed photos and it really does look brand new.

Now normally I carry 4:00 with either a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Milt Sparks VMII but I wanted something for the colder months for long car trips.

It has been years since I had one. I used to occasionally carry in a Galco Miami Special and loved it. Unfortunately I sold the gun it was molded for.

Besides the obvious drawbacks of the shoulder holster (sweeping a part of your body in the draw, always having the gun pointed at the person behind you, not being very concealable unless you are wearing a jacket, etc) what do you guys think of the Jackass?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

I've been wearing them for many years - all the way back to the original company.

Spend a few days getting the rig adjusted properly at home before you wear it into the field. I wear one often under work shirts (outdoor work, Superman carry) and I'm able to do many things I'd find difficult with another type of holster. Hard to wear a tool belt with a pistol at the hip ;)

I also like the Jackass for driving, very nice. I carry small pistols - Kimber Ultra Carry - and they're very comfortable in the Galco rig. I currently use the Miami Classic II with the horizontal mag pouch. Like it a lot. Good quality leather that quickly forms a comfortable fit to the user's body.

Its not a fast draw system but I can live with that given all the other benefits such a rig brings to my table of reality. I wore one for years in law enforcement (wasn't a patrol officer), and I still love the rigs as an old fart ready to defend himself and those in his charge.

Buying second hand has the advantage of losing little if you decide the rig is not for you.

Good luck and watch your six.

Rick Gallagher told me he named his original holster company after himself, and having worked with him, well . . .. His rig is based on the Chic Gaylord and Paris Theodore rigs before him. Essentially, the novelty of the time (the 60s) was the horizontal carry, which hadn't been done before Gaylord. Beyond that, the Galco is a holster with a set of 1" wide straps attached, as has been standard on all shoulder holsters since the late 1800s. Galco's is as good as anyone's; how hard can it be?
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

Are the vertical ones better than horizontal?
    Certified Infidel

We Have a nice one that will last a lifetime and won't break the bank Under Armor

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    We Have a nice one that will last a lifetime and won't break the bank ...
    That looks like a very nice rig with an attractive price point.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I wear a MC II daily and love it you will not be disappointed
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I think it is aptly named. :)
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

I've got a Miami Classic II which I use for my 1911, and I love it for long drives in the car or for use when riding my motorcycle. Also great for sitting around the house. Most comfortable way to carry when sitting, in my opinion.
    shadowwalker likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Wished I had mine back 2nd wife ran off with mine gave it to her friend, dont want 2nd wife back

Links