Am I the only one that isn't crazy about RCS holsters?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that isn't crazy about RCS holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my fair share of guns and I have had a holster for every gun I ever owned, almost every holster has fit my ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wmhawth
  • 2 Post By Bobbj22
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: Am I the only one that isn't crazy about RCS holsters?

I had my fair share of guns and I have had a holster for every gun I ever owned, almost every holster has fit my body type well... except for Raven Holsters. I got my first RCS holster years back for a P2000 and never wore it, I kept it just because I was a serious "gear whore" back then. The holster just didn't feel right. Then I got one for one of the several HK45c's I owned in the past. Same story, it just didn't conform well around my hip/beltline. I then started to pay for the copycats. Kabulan Cloak, DSG Arms, and Crown Holsters. Even though the fit and finish isn't as nice as a Raven Holster these off brand copy cats just seemed to fit my body better. I was even asked by a rep at Crown Holsters if I would like my holsters to be curved more during the making process so that it would fit the curve of my hip/beltline, I didn't take the guy up on the offer and the standard curve that they use worked perfectly for me.

Well my good friend brought me a early birthday present.

I've been looking for a OWB holster for my M&P Compact for a long time and she found a RCS M&Pc holster that would work perfectly for my new gun. I was excited to give Raven another chance, I threw on the belt loops and put it on my hip and that same uncomfortable feeling came back. I must have shifted the holster between 2:00 and 4:00 about 10 times and then I finally just picked up my USP compact in my Crown Kydex holster and left the M&P at home. It was disappointing. I'm not knocking Raven, I know they are the best of the best I just wanted to share my love hate relationship that I have with Raven holsters and see if anyone else just can't warm up to Raven. I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong, Raven is like the Mercedes of Kydex holsters and you'll never hear someone say "Eh... I just don't feel comfortable in a Mercedes".

2. Remove Ads

Holsters are personal. Personally, I prefer hybrids or leather. I can't hardly wear any tennis shoes but New Balance.

BTW, you may be able to bend that kydex with heat to fit it to you better. I work with the stuff making hybrids and it's pretty simple to do.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Just purchased a JS Holsters Model.. IAM for a Glock 30sf..............love it.

I really like RCS holsters. Getting one shipped to you while you're still young is another matter.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I really like RCS holsters. Getting one shipped to you while you're still young is another matter.
    I'm assuming none of your pistols are on the "quick ship" list of their most popular models?

Try a different mounting solution. I don't like their standard OWB belt loops either. Their pancake wings made a huge difference. There are several different ways to mount the pancake wings to cant more or ride closer/further from the body. You can even use 1 standard loop and 1 pancake wing if feeling more pressure on one side. Either those or the soft loop wings will change the way it rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    sparkykb and RoadRunner71 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    I'm assuming none of your pistols are on the "quick ship" list of their most popular models?
    Got one for my G19 in about a month as a quick ship. I have another order being processed that they say will be 16-18 weeks. If you like kydex I think these are great holsters and I'm not in a big hurry anyway.
    Attached Images
    sparkykb likes this.

VIP Member
    The pancake wings make a huge difference for some. You could also try calling RCS. Ask for either Tom or Trek. Both of those guys will bend over backward to make your holster "right" for you.

I also like the Crown products. Chris is a great guy to work with.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    Try a different mounting solution. I don't like their standard OWB belt loops either. Their pancake wings made a huge difference. There are several different ways to mount the pancake wings to cant more or ride closer/further from the body. You can even use 1 standard loop and 1 pancake wing if feeling more pressure on one side. Either those or the soft loop wings will change the way it rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks. I have seen the Panacake wings and will order them once I get the chance. I think the main problem is just the curve of the RCS holsters and the curve of my body. I compared the RCS with my Crown holster side by side and noticed that the Crown holster is def more curved than the RCS. I hope I'm explaining that well... I'll post a picture later on today to show what I"m talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    The pancake wings make a huge difference for some. You could also try calling RCS. Ask for either Tom or Trek. Both of those guys will bend over backward to make your holster "right" for you.

I also like the Crown products. Chris is a great guy to work with.
    I strongly second that. It amazed me how this guy can run a major holster business and still call me twice between the time I ordered my holsters and got my holsters. I can't even remember to call my Grandmother!

I really liked my RCS until I tried X-Concealment. For me, the X-Con held tighter to my body and takes up way less space on my belt. It is much easier to conceal as well. I ended up sending my RCS back within 30 days for a full refund. Still use the X-Concealment and still love it!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
    I really liked my RCS until I tried X-Concealment. For me, the X-Con held tighter to my body and takes up way less space on my belt. It is much easier to conceal as well. I ended up sending my RCS back within 30 days for a full refund. Still use the X-Concealment and still love it!
    There's a reason they space their loops so far apart. The wider the space between holster loops, the better the weight dispersion across the belt. For heavier guns it makes a huge difference, especially when you add the pancake wings which pull the gun in tighter to the belt and alleviate the uneven pressure from the grip's plumb line being slightly off center with standard loops (the overhanging grip pushes the muzzle end into your hip bone when the gun isn't perpendicular to the ground). I think they should come standard but that's just my opinion. I don't usually carry strong side anyways but I used to and it took a while before I realized the purpose for certain holster design traits. Then I got hooked on AIWB.

Links