I roll my own. (Holsters that is)

This is a discussion on I roll my own. (Holsters that is) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Wife, who is a CCW holder in the State of Nevada didn't like any holsters that she tried. Any of them. I custom wetformed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I roll my own. (Holsters that is)

My Wife, who is a CCW holder in the State of Nevada didn't like any holsters that she tried. Any of them. I custom wetformed this IWB rig for her, and after rounding some of the sharp edges, she is carrying her G26 all of the time, even when gardening.
    I tried the holster out myself and man this thing is perfect. I am going to have to make myself one.

[/URL][/img]
    Maynard and GhostMaker like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I can only wish to have the patience to work with leather. I always pick guns that only the high-dollar holster makers carry.

It's all about function and comfort!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

very nice

Nice job

Nice job. You have talent. Be careful. Holster making has been known to be habit forming.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Nice job. You have talent. Be careful. Holster making has been known to be habit forming.
    It truly is. I have made a few, my CCW rig included. It all all handwork, and hard on the hands. My Wife's holster 8 hours labor in one sitting. My hands felt arthritic after, and strong as hell a day after. The Wife's rig is a culmination of my prior work and what I had learned. I study her rig to refine my next holster.

This was my first of the IWB type that I made, and has served me for many years.

Sponsor
    Well done!

In post #6, do you have the smooth side in and the rough side out? If so, does the smooth leather grip the gun pretty well to keep it from flying out if you jog or the like?

I like your work. I have a nice chunk of leather here and need to pound out a holster for my wife's carry piece (Sig SP2022). I enjoy making holsters but mine are purely functional and NOT beautiful (yet!). Thanks for the inspiration. Time to go start sniffing leather!

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    My deep admiration for anyone who can tackle this type of work. I'd probably stick the needle
    through my thumb.
    Last edited by Hopyard; April 13th, 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

As a holster maker myself, try adding a sweat shield on the slide. It does wonders for comfort. Just be sure to keep the mag release open and keep the grip clear. And yeah, addictive is the word. I built about 6 OWB hybrids and wet molded 5 leather holsters today. It's approaching another full time job for me.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    In post #6, do you have the smooth side in and the rough side out? If so, does the smooth leather grip the gun pretty well to keep it from flying out if you jog or the like?
    Ace
    Lined holsters are smooth inside and out and hold just fine. One of my rigs is a lined holster for my G19 and I've not had any issues with it moving in the 10 months I've been wearing it. If you wet form it and sew it right, the retention will keep the gun in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My deep admiration for anyone who can tackle this type of work. I'd probably stick the needle
    through my thumb.
    Harness needles are blunt. But you can still sink one in a thumb pretty good. The stitching awls are what you have to look out for. You can skewer yourself with one of those.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    That was pretty nice.

I have made a couple that work well; but, look horrible.
    But, they are for concealment, hey.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post

I like your work. I have a nice chunk of leather here and need to pound out a holster for my wife's carry piece (Sig SP2022). I enjoy making holsters but mine are purely functional and NOT beautiful (yet!). Thanks for the inspiration. Time to go start sniffing leather!

Ace
    Yes, you are correct. The rough side of the leather facing outward has several benefits. First is that the rough stuff doesn't get into you gun. Remember, the inside of the holsters are tooled and wetformed to every contour of the gun, and the holster fits the gun like a glove. When the holster is worn, the holster curves around the body, creating tension on the gun by pinching the gun as the holster curves with the body, and the gun can't just fly out.
    Next, with the rough side out, it creates more surface area against the inside of the garment keeping the holster even more firmly in position.

I believe that some premiere gunleather holster companies have started to put the rough side out.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    As a holster maker myself, try adding a sweat shield on the slide. It does wonders for comfort.
    When I make my G26 I will extend the leather up behind and forward of the slide, but only where it will not interfere with the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    First is that the rough stuff doesn't get into you gun.
    Good leather can be slicked up on the inside nearly as smooth as the outside. I pre burnish mine while it's wet before I wet mold it. Then before I do the final finish I smooth the inside up again with Gum Tragacanth. It lays the grain right down. After that dries I apply an acrylic finish over it. That gets it smooth to start with. And use will smooth it up too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    Yes, you are correct. The rough side of the leather facing outward has several benefits. First is that the rough stuff doesn't get into you gun. Remember, the inside of the holsters are tooled and wetformed to every contour of the gun, and the holster fits the gun like a glove. When the holster is worn, the holster curves around the body, creating tension on the gun by pinching the gun as the holster curves with the body, and the gun can't just fly out.
    Next, with the rough side out, it creates more surface area against the inside of the garment keeping the holster even more firmly in position.

I believe that some premiere gunleather holster companies have started to put the rough side out.
    Awesome!! Thanks for the reply!! Time to start laying out some hide...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links