New pants or lose weight?

This is a discussion on New pants or lose weight? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I am new to carrying and just got my holster a few days ago. I tried it with one of my looser fitting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New pants or lose weight?

New pants or lose weight?

Ok so I am new to carrying and just got my holster a few days ago. I tried it with one of my looser fitting jeans ands its still too tight to be comfortable. So I want to know what did you do? Do you have a separate wardrobe or did you just loose a little weight? I don't know if I can loose the weight, I have been the same weight for ten years or so. But I don't want to buy all new clothes and have to get rid of all my pants I have now that fit.

Ok I have rambled on enough. I will let you folks answer.

2. Remove Ads

Open carry?

Sent from my Torque

The pants are the easier route, and it may benefit you to get better pants. There are threads here on good pants, and Kerberos carries around a mini USMC station in his cargo shorts. I would go with new clothes.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    Ok so I am new to carrying and just got my holster a few days ago. I tried it with one of my looser fitting jeans ands its still too tight to be comfortable. So I want to know what did you do? Do you have a separate wardrobe or did you just loose a little weight? I don't know if I can loose the weight, I have been the same weight for ten years or so. But I don't want to buy all new clothes and have to get rid of all my pants I have now that fit.

Honestly, the benefits that come with losing extra weight if you are over weight are enough reason alone to do so. Do it for yourself.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I wear jeans or khaki jean style pants most of the time (I'm in a casual industry) and I've never been one to wear tight ones (they make my butt look big) so I haven't had any issues with carrying IWB. The question of losing weight or buying bigger pants is a two fold issue. In the immediate, buy some bigger pants, you aren't going to lose any significant amount of weight for at least a month even with a solid diet/exercise routine. If you need to lose weight for health reasons, that is a long term process that goes well beyond just the comfort of carrying issue. So, I say that for right now, get some bigger pants. For the long run, determine if you need to/want to lose some weight, but that is something that involves your overall health in general, not just your gun carrying issues and is something that you should speak with your physician about.

It would probably be easier to buy pants a size larger in the waist to accommodate inside the waist band carry than it would be to lose weight. My opinion only of course. Your mileage may vary.

Distinguished Member
    You are far more likely to die from a heart attack, stroke or diabetes than from an incident with a BG. If you could stand to lose some weight, it is a much better thing to do for yourself.

Lose weight
    Not only will the gun fit in your present pants getting rid of the sparetire the gun should lay flatter.
    Use the money you didnt use to buy new pants and use it to buy more practice ammo.
    Thunder71 and RickyD like this.

Cool

Relax Bro...Ever heard of Alterations or a Seamstress? Yellow Page it or google Dex Knows...I had several pairs of work jeans let out about 2" a shot for around $15-20 per pair. Plenty cheaper than buying new duds. You might also try Suspenders too. Button style will last longer and a most excellent brand is Welch. I have 2 pair of Welch brand braces at least 10 years old each pair and they show no significant wear or deterioration. You might even be able to barter services for goods. I did and made a tidy profit when originally I just hoped to break even.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Easy solution for me. I just buy pants that have both belt loops or hidden expansion strips in them. Look like regular pants but can increase a whole size or more when needed. Before all my pants were too big on me without a gun. Now I get my correct size but since the pants can stretch, I can also carry IWB. I do wear several name brand jeans, shorts and long pants that have those stretch bands in them so I look like I am in fashion. However I am not a young man who wants to wear whatever is cool at the time. It takes a lot of searching but if you look you can find pants that will stretch if needed. Even if you get a size too large, it is not that bad unless your regular size is a little loose on you to begin with. OWB is also an alternative if you wear untucked shirts as I do since carrying. A good pancake holster will keep your gun tight against your body and not be much thicker than IWB.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member
    I think you know the best answer.

If it was me, I would just buy myself a few (2 or 3) pair of bigger pants (probably at a thrift store, but again that's just me). Then since you didn't buy yourself a new wardrobe, you will be hopefully motivated to loose the pounds needed to fit into your current pants w/your EDC. I totally agree with RickyD, far better off all the way around to better yourself and loose some weight.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Forgot to mention that I also lost 45 lbs. when I started carrying a gun to make it easier to carry. That is a benefit to ccw that no one talks about. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Ok so I am new to carrying and just got my holster a few days ago. I tried it with one of my looser fitting jeans ands its still too tight to be comfortable.
    If new to carrying, realize this: not all pants have a cut/shape/material that accommodates decently comfortable and concealable carry.

Sure, taking up less of the space in the pants might help things. Then again, it might not. Evaluate what exactly the fit issues are, where it's tight, how it's pulling, how it moves with you as you walk/sit/twist while carrying. Then, while you're carrying, try on at least a couple different pairs of pants that are shaped a bit differently. You might be surprised at the differences. I'd suggest trying several of the brand/model of pants that people generally mention as being "gun friendly."

What I did, when I began carrying: I got several different pairs of new pants, ones cut differently enough and made of material suitable for the added size/shape of a ~35oz package of a full-sized gun and spare mags inside the belt. For years, now, all pants I've purchased have been made with an eye toward carry, generally purchased while carrying to ensure the fit was right. While it could be said that at first my wardrobe for carry was separate, it quickly became my only wardrobe. But over time all the pants became ones made of suitable cut, material, room in the seat/legs, and style of pockets and belt loops suitable for carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here's my reply to this same question in another forum:

I get what I call my "Fat Man Pants" (). They are my normal size but have small, elastic bands on either side. You can get enough extra space for IWB and if not CC, your pants are the regular size. I like 'em and don't even feel like I'm cheatin'...

I also got some army surplus camo pants (different styles/colors) and they had a small adjustment panel on either side. It had two straps and a small buckle to take the waist in or let it out. Lock it in place and wear normal. Let it out for your IWB. Good solutions and not expensive.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I changed my lunch, and started working out 30-45 min every other day in mid January, I'm down 16 lbs. It's really not that hard to drop some weight, it just doesn't happen overnight. I think most people give up after a couple weeks, two weeks in I was up two pounds, looking back I think it was muscle weight. Stuck with it, and I'm 8lbs from my high school graduation weight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links