My New Favorite IWB Holster

This is a discussion on My New Favorite IWB Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several months ago, I asked members of this board if anyone was willing to make a kydex IWB holster for me according to my specifications. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: My New Favorite IWB Holster

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167

    My New Favorite IWB Holster

    Several months ago, I asked members of this board if anyone was willing to make a kydex IWB holster for me according to my specifications. After a few exchanges off-board, Mark at Midworld agreed to give it a go. After numerous tweaks, trials and modifications, he arrived at the exactly what I was looking for. It has been my EDC holster for all my guns ever since. Its strengths:
    The wide body and attachment points distribute the load of large handguns;
    The contoured two-piece construction adds to comfort and concealability;
    Its deep ride and forward cant help minimize grip printing of full-sized handguns;
    Its deep cut-out allows fast, effective gripping of the gun for presentation;

    Mark's superb craftsmanship and attention to detail make it an even better deal for the price.

    Here is the finished product:
    Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array rockymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    70
    Looks nice! How is the kydex against the skin?

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls Tx.
    Posts
    1,507
    Looks like a nice holster. Glad that you have something that you like.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymax View Post
    Looks nice! How is the kydex against the skin?
    Very comfortable. With the molding and contouring, it finds its own comfort spot. The over-the-top belt loop on the front allows the holster to shift slightly with body motion to remain in a comfortable postition.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Looks like a nice holster. Glad that you have something that you like.
    Thanks. Me, too.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  7. #6
    Member Array ColoradoNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28
    Thanks for sharing. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it protects your skin from the beaver tail area. However, I do like the soft/loose belt "clips".
    I went with Old Faithful. I like how it has the extra leather on top and bottom which protects my skin on both ends. I also like how it is an adjustable kydex\quality leather mix. I carry a P220 and is getting lighter the more I carry it. 3 O'clock is my preferred location.
    WE THE PEOPLE created the federal government. It is our “creature” as stated by Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.
    Our “creature”, can lawfully do only what WE authorized it to do in our Constitution. WE did not give our “creature” power to control medical care or our guns. - Publius-Huldah

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoNative View Post
    Thanks for sharing. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it protects your skin from the beaver tail area. However, I do like the soft/loose belt "clips".
    I went with Old Faithful. I like how it has the extra leather on top and bottom which protects my skin on both ends. I also like how it is an adjustable kydex\quality leather mix. I carry a P220 and is getting lighter the more I carry it. 3 O'clock is my preferred location.
    This one was designed from giddy-up to be worn at 3:00. The only thing I carry with a beavertail is my 1006 S&W, and I have no problem with it chafing or rubbing. It's holster has the same sweat shield design as the one Mark makes. The beavertail on my M&P, otoh is a rib jabber and is currently being removed.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  9. #8
    Member Array JoeyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    143
    Mike, is this rig seriously more comfortable than a Max Con V? I was about ready to lay down the cash for the MCV but am now seriously considering this Ohio Special. I am a sweat hog as well so I can definitely see the benefit of an all kydex rig for me, especially in the summer.

  10. #9
    Member Array jtrnbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    56
    Looks good and at a pretty good price. Thanks for the info.

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
    Mike, is this rig seriously more comfortable than a Max Con V? I was about ready to lay down the cash for the MCV but am now seriously considering this Ohio Special. I am a sweat hog as well so I can definitely see the benefit of an all kydex rig for me, especially in the summer.
    For me, yes, seriously more comfortable, but that requires some explanation. I swear by the Max-Con V and wore it exclusively for several years. I own four of them currently, and have bought and sold several more. The Max-Con V, with its comfort wing, was designed to be worn between 4:00 and 5:00. My optimal wear position is 3:00. I can and do wear the Max-Con V there, but the wing creates slight tension when I sit. Nothing major, but slightly noticeable. The absence of that wing on the Ohio Special eliminates that tension. The belt-snap-to-belt-snap distance on the Max-Con V (Glock 19) is six inches. On the Ohio Special, it is about 6 1/2". Again, for me, the extra half inch adds an element of comfort and stability. I sweat quite a bit, too, but the finish on the Max-Con V has remained unaffected, so I wouldn't count that as a consideration one way or another between the two.
    Two more advantages the Ohio Special has over the Max-Con V are price and availability. Wait times for the Max-Con V can be considerable and unpredictable.
    If finances aren't an obstacle, I would recommend both. If you need your holster ASAP, I recommend the Ohio Special. If you are sold on leather and don't mind the wait, the Max-Con V is a great holster.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  12. #11
    Member Array JoeyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    For me, yes, seriously more comfortable, but that requires some explanation. I swear by the Max-Con V and wore it exclusively for several years. I own four of them currently, and have bought and sold several more. The Max-Con V, with its comfort wing, was designed to be worn between 4:00 and 5:00. My optimal wear position is 3:00. I can and do wear the Max-Con V there, but the wing creates slight tension when I sit. Nothing major, but slightly noticeable. The absence of that wing on the Ohio Special eliminates that tension. The belt-snap-to-belt-snap distance on the Max-Con V (Glock 19) is six inches. On the Ohio Special, it is about 6 1/2". Again, for me, the extra half inch adds an element of comfort and stability. I sweat quite a bit, too, but the finish on the Max-Con V has remained unaffected, so I wouldn't count that as a consideration one way or another between the two.
    Two more advantages the Ohio Special has over the Max-Con V are price and availability. Wait times for the Max-Con V can be considerable and unpredictable.
    If finances aren't an obstacle, I would recommend both. If you need your holster ASAP, I recommend the Ohio Special. If you are sold on leather and don't mind the wait, the Max-Con V is a great holster.
    Thank you very much for the honest assessment. I too prefer to wear my rig at 3:00. I think I will give the Ohio Special a try. I do really like leather but the more I carry, I am more about comfort and function, especially from an IWB holster. It makes little sense to me to pay extra for looks when this holster will never be seen by anyone but me. I am more than willing to pay for a quality holster but I see no need to over pay. Not to say I am not very impressed with Gary's work, I just think the Ohio Special may do the trick for me. Your and Remy's review & Remy's pictures have sold me. One problem I have had with several holsters I've tried is they don't pull the gun in tight enough for my liking, especially by the slide at the rear sight. The pics that Remy posted show this problem to be solved. Now I can't wait to get my new holster!

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
    Thank you very much for the honest assessment. I too prefer to wear my rig at 3:00. I think I will give the Ohio Special a try. I do really like leather but the more I carry, I am more about comfort and function, especially from an IWB holster. It makes little sense to me to pay extra for looks when this holster will never be seen by anyone but me. I am more than willing to pay for a quality holster but I see no need to over pay. Not to say I am not very impressed with Gary's work, I just think the Ohio Special may do the trick for me. Your and Remy's review & Remy's pictures have sold me. One problem I have had with several holsters I've tried is they don't pull the gun in tight enough for my liking, especially by the slide at the rear sight. The pics that Remy posted show this problem to be solved. Now I can't wait to get my new holster!
    Be sure to let us know how you like it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  14. #13
    Member Array JoeyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Be sure to let us know how you like it.

    Will do!

  15. #14
    Member Array JoeyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    143
    Well, I did get the Ohio Special ordered. My curiosity got the better of me and I also ordered the Max Con V as well. As many holsters as I've tried already I figured I might as well. Oh, and since I placed an order with Brommeland Gunleather anyway, I went ahead and ordered a Def Con as well. Is it just me or am I developing a problem here?! I have heard nothing but good things in regards to the quality of Brommeland's leather. A lot of guys have told me the Def Con is the best leather OWB they have ever tried. I just had to see what all the hype was about. Anyway, I'll give a report on each holster as I receive them.

  16. #15
    Member Array MidWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
    Well, I did get the Ohio Special ordered. My curiosity got the better of me and I also ordered the Max Con V as well. As many holsters as I've tried already I figured I might as well. Oh, and since I placed an order with Brommeland Gunleather anyway, I went ahead and ordered a Def Con as well. Is it just me or am I developing a problem here?! I have heard nothing but good things in regards to the quality of Brommeland's leather. A lot of guys have told me the Def Con is the best leather OWB they have ever tried. I just had to see what all the hype was about. Anyway, I'll give a report on each holster as I receive them.
    You still have way fewer holsters than I do, I would bet. I don't think you have a problem until you like holsters so much you have to start a business.
    As far as leather holsters go, I don't think you can beat Brommeland. I am sure you will like all 3 of your new holsters, and thanks for making one of them the Ohio Special!

    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

max con v iwb holster at 3 o'clock

,

ohio special iwb

Click on a term to search for related topics.