WHATHolster In Plain Sight Style Holster Review

This is a discussion on WHATHolster In Plain Sight Style Holster Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Prior to doing this review, I had never tried the in plain sight carry method. After giving it a try over the last two weeks, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jdunn217

Thread: WHATHolster In Plain Sight Style Holster Review

Prior to doing this review, I had never tried the in plain sight carry method. After giving it a try over the last two weeks, I can see the merits of the system over pocket carry especially when driving.

Full review on the blog:
    Pocket Guns and Gear: WHATHolster? In Plain Sight Style Holster Review
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Intriguing...... Not sure if I would like a big square bag on my belt but I think it would have some good applications nonetheless.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I like the concept. Not sure about the big square thing mentioned ^^^^^^
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I understand the idea and have seen a couple different versions including the sneaky pete (leather) and PdaHolster (nylon). I think that something that is nylon is slightly less noticeable if you are doing some activity like running, at that point it could be a med pack or whatever. Some of the issues that I have seen are design vs. being able to draw and the addition of a buckle to keep them closed. Any buckle will inhibit draw in my opinion, a strong magnet or snap (as the one you show has) is a better idea, or maybe velcro. The other consideration that this type of holster needs, for people running/biking is a spot to put a CC permit or key. PdaHolsters says they add a spot for a pen holder because that makes people think it's functional vs just being a holster. I guess that's a start. The ones you linked I believe are rough drafts? It looks like the fit and finish could be worked on a little. Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Nice concept but how would you be able to achieve a decent grip on the gun while drawing from it?
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    Nice concept but how would you be able to achieve a decent grip on the gun while drawing from it?
    I had a similar concern at first so I appreciate you bringing this up. The holster mouth isn't stretched tightly across the pistol so it is very easy to get your middle and ring fingers into the pouch after you lift the flap with your off hand. I kept my trigger finger outside the pouch running parallel with the slide as I do when drawing from any holster. As soon as the forward edge of the magazine base plate clears the solid portion on the front of the holster, the side of the holster flexes. This lets the pistol rock forward into the web of your thumb.

I found the draw to be faster than pocket carry, but slower than IWB appendix carry in an open top holster.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Links