Recently revisited shoulder holster carry.

This is a discussion on Recently revisited shoulder holster carry. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never been a fan of shoulder holster carry. I carry a Glock 27 daily in a Milt Sparks VMII and it serves me well. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By Arisin Wind

Thread: Recently revisited shoulder holster carry.

Recently revisited shoulder holster carry.

I've never been a fan of shoulder holster carry. I carry a Glock 27 daily in a Milt Sparks VMII and it serves me well.

A couple of long car trips have had me reconsider so I bought a Galco Jackass rig and have carried the Glock 23 in it.

Pros:

1. Easy to access from a driving position.
    2. 13+1 in the Glock 23 with two spare Glock 22 mags offside.
    3. Can still carry the 27 as backup with mags interchanging.
    4. Comfortable.

Cons:

1. You sweep a portion of your body on the draw.
    2. Difficult to reholster.

Pic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Sweeps a portion of the body: that would be your left arm; lift it during the draw. Difficult to holster: switch to a strapless model with tension-screw retention. The combination is a practical way to clear up your issues.

More pics

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I share your 're-discovery'...started wearing this again...FIST, INC.

I'm planning on using it with my Glock-36 for a trip up to see the grandkids.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've carried for several decades using a shoulder holster. Properly adjusted and set up they work very well.
    OD* likes this.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Tried it, hated it, best left for the movies. There are better options for driving. BTW, muzzling yourself is only a problem for you. Wearing a gun in a horizontal position is a problem for all in back of you and in every other direction when you turn around. :)

- crossdraw belt holster
    - Wilderness Tactical SafePacker - attaches to your seatbelt, wear as a shoulder bag or fanny pack when you exit the car to get one of those great hot dogs at the rest stops on highways.
    - one of the many concealed carry vests with built in holsters. I have one for winter and one for summer and not the tactical looking ones.
    - Remora or Sticky holster that you can tuck under your belt wherever you want and then put in pocket or move to strong side when exiting the car.
    - Use your imagination. I know someone who puts his gun in an empty big gulp type cup with the lid on and then places it in a cup holder in easy reach. Another guy puts his gun in a tissue box and one hides one of those tiny NAA mini revolvers on his sun visor.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have been a fan of shoulder rigs since I started carrying, especially in cooler weather when I can conceal it and also for driving. I have a Safepacker, it is an OK option, but I do not like the fact of having to take it off of the seat belt and attach it to my belt anytime I get out of the car. I also have a Gumcreek under steering column holster installed, but this requires unholstering and reholstering each time I exit the vehicle. I also like the fact that the shoulder rig has two spare magazines handy.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    They r great if u want to leave a cover coat or shirt on all day if out and about. Don't work well for hot weather carry out in public unless ur going open carry.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    They r great if u want to leave a cover coat or shirt on all day if out and about. Don't work well for hot weather carry out in public unless ur going open carry.
    Retsup and I are both from Florida and somehow we make shoulder holsters work. Maybe it gets hotter in North Carolina. :)
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

VIP Member
    Out of necessity I started out with a shoulder holster, no way to use an IWB holster under the USAF flight suit. The issued shoulder holster was a horrid piece of crap with a heavy retention spring that constantly dug into your ribs. I turned that thing in and bought a Bianci upside down rig like Steve McQueen wore in “Bullit” and still use a similar holster on occasion now, when you find one that is comfortable and works for you a good shoulder is just another option.

P1010188.jpg steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

...I loved the old Bianchi 9 you have...for a snub...used to be available for a 4"...flapped too much...

Nevada Gun Leather still offers one similar and of good quality...some lighter ones out there but they look cheesy to me...

...for a fullsize K or SA pistol, I think I'd go vertical...the horizontal looks like it'd show too easily...never wore one...
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Out of necessity I started out with a shoulder holster, no way to use an IWB holster under the USAF flight suit. The issued shoulder holster was a horrid piece of crap with a heavy retention spring that constantly dug into your ribs. I turned that thing in and bought a Bianci upside down rig like Steve McQueen wore in “Bullit” and still use a similar holster on occasion now, when you find one that is comfortable and works for you a good shoulder is just another option.

P1010188.jpg steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg

Links