struggling to find a comfortable holster

This is a discussion on struggling to find a comfortable holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to carry and am really struggling to find a holster with any comfort. I've tried IWB and that totally sucked. OWB sticks out. Pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: struggling to find a comfortable holster

struggling to find a comfortable holster

New to carry and am really struggling to find a holster with any comfort. I've tried IWB and that totally sucked. OWB sticks out. Pocket is OK in rear pocket with an LCP.
    All not great and that's with my small .380. I would rather carry my 9mm 709 slim, but it's even larger than my LCP.
    Maybe it will feel better after some time?
    Just venting some frustration!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Holster set-ups work up differently from person to person. You will probably have to try several different platforms before you happen upon a keeper.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

There's a lot of different styles of both OWB and IWB holsters. There's also a lot of different positions you can place your holster. What have you tried so far that you didn't like?

I cc the lcp every day in a IWB hybrid holster i made myself(supplies from knifekitsDOTcom). I wear it at the 3:30 position and i pretty much cant feel it all day. Just have to find something that works for ur body type and daily activity. GL

Fla CWFL holder
    NRA member
    Ruger LCP EDC
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

I spent a couple weeks finding the right holster setup for my G26 and G23. If you have Amazon Prime, it's easy to order several and try them out, with free return shipping. I must have gone through ten or twelve before finding the right ones. Get a sturdy gun belt too, makes all the difference in the world. Right now I Smart Carry IWB and use a Desantis Minislide---thinnest OWB I found.

Sometimes less is best...

While these holsters are inexpensive I find them very comfortable to wear and the price is right......

2 for $25.00 w/free shipping
    https://acecase.com/gun-holsters/
    iblearning likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Try Remora or Stickyholster. Use them to find what position you like, then buy a leather or kydex to fit.

Also remember that it's a big hunk of steel and plastic and other stuff; and no concealment method is going to suck it into another dimension or something until you need it.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Some times it is just a matter of dressing around carry. The cut of your pants can bake a big difference. Also You have to have a sturdy belt if you want to carry comfortably. As others have said position can make a big difference too. I like 3:00 to 3:30 for IWB and back at 4:00 for OWB. I am 6'4" and about 250. A lot of thinner guys like AIWB carry at about 2:00. There is no one size fits all for holsters.

If that small gun sticks out with OWB carry, I would suspect you need looser fit clothing. I OWB carry my Glock 26 concealed with no issues and I'm 6' 250 lbs with a spare tire. I use an X-Concealment Gen 2 C holster. Any favorite pancake type holster in leather or kydex should work. Perhaps look at a better cover garment. I use a long-tailed T-shirt from Deluth Trading Company. It is comfortable and does not print. When I IWB, I wear Wrangler jeans in my normal size but with elastic hidden inside the waistband. This allows room for the holster. I use either a Milt Sparks VMII (my favorite) or a CBST ( close second). Both are very comfortable. I will say, it takes time for the proper tweaking of a new holster (set desired cant & ride height) and for a new holster to mold to your body. I did not like the CBST at first but as it molded to my body & I adjusted to my liking I have now grown to really like it. Hang in there, you will find your desired mode of carry. Also, make sure you have a solid gun belt. Makes all the difference in the world.

I carry my G26 IWB in a CBST between 3:30 and 5:00, depending on how much driving I'll be doing that day. It took some uncomfortable trials to find the best cant, but it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by warren57 View Post
    New to carry ... IWB totally sucked. OWB sticks out. Pocket is OK. All not great ...
    Sucked, ok, not great. A bit vague.

What specifically isn't working? You say comfort, but what exactly doesn't feel comfortable? Is it pinching at certain spots? Is the holstered gun shifting around to the bony spots on your hip? Does it tire you after ~8hrs on the hip? Do you have curves that aren't accommodating IWB very nicely, getting in the way of a smooth, flat fit? Is your holster designed decently, built with a curve/shape that matches you? ... A bit more info could help diagnose things.

Minus that ...

Look for a well-designed holster along the lines of, say, the Milt Sparks VMII. It's wider, stiffer, designed to spread the load of a gun across the hip to avoid hot spots. It's really designed for a larger gun, but it should work fine on compacts.

Or, try a decent pancake style holster, one known for holding things snugly against the body.

Consider a slightly different position on the hip, or adding forward cant to the holster so the gun rides further forward (butt forward). Subtle differences like this can help the holstered gun ride more comfortably against the shape of your hip at that spot.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I second Joey G CBST or Milt sparks VM2 .Both comfortable and no clear cut favorite between the two (Glock 27)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I've been trying to find my "perfect holster" for years too.
    After watching several youtube videos - lately more of The Yankee Marshal" I'm about ready to order one from Nate Squared and see how it does for me.
    index
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    Some times it is just a matter of dressing around carry. The cut of your pants can bake a big difference. Also You have to have a sturdy belt if you want to carry comfortably. As others have said position can make a big difference too. I like 3:00 to 3:30 for IWB and back at 4:00 for OWB. I am 6'4" and about 250. A lot of thinner guys like AIWB carry at about 2:00. There is no one size fits all for holsters.
    I'm 5'10" and 195, and have a very narrow comfort/concealment range on my edc set-ups. I have had the belt loops on all of my trousers moved to accommodate my holsters and to keep them firmly positioned closely to the 3:00/9:00 positions. Wearing them that far forward, the tend to shift rearward if I don't have them firmly secured on the belt line. Size-larger pants are important for comfort, and size-larger shirts for concealability. Anything less than a 20-degree cant makes a full-sized semi-auto print on me at the end of the grip. I also need a deep riding holster for the same reason. Higher riders not only print, but jab me in the rib when seated. A lower cutaway between the grip and the holster is also a very important consideration for me, as I hate banging my knuckles or having less than a full grip on my gun for presentation. Also important for me is a contoured backside on a holster, which allows ventilation and comfort between the holster and body. That is the main reason I have never been able to make the hybrid platform work for me. It just becomes too hot and uncomfortable against the skin.
    Nothing will work well for everybody, but the Ohio Special holster shown in you avatar has incorporated all the features I find important in an IWB, full-sized holster. I'm sure the same platform will work on smaller guns as well.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Being in my 60's an have carried over20 years i have come to know get quality once an in the long run will be cheaper. Milt spark, mitch rosen, kramer leather, or hayesleather.com. So many holster makers come an go there is a reason these have lasted so long. They are not cheap but they work not only comfort but you can draw well an reholster with one hand. You all have spent alot on quality guns an ammo no time to skimp now. Also get a good belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links