New guy looking for an IWB and OWB holster- are these good choices?

This is a discussion on New guy looking for an IWB and OWB holster- are these good choices? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My CHP was approved and I am going to pick it up from my Sherriff's office tomorrow. I have yet to buy a holster for ...

Thread: New guy looking for an IWB and OWB holster- are these good choices?

New guy looking for an IWB and OWB holster- are these good choices?

My CHP was approved and I am going to pick it up from my Sherriff's office tomorrow. I have yet to buy a holster for my handgun, a Glock 23.

I want to get an IWB as well as an OWB holster. I think I will most likely use the IWB more for now because I am new to carrying a handgun. The OWB will be used when making trips to the range and possibly later on down the road if I choose to open carry.

For the IWB holster I am seriously considering the Old Faithful IWB

"Quick-Assemble-Kit" - Inside the Waistband - Hip - Gun Holster Kit - Old Faithful Holsters

And for the OWB I am looking at the "Hideous Holster" from Zero Concealment Systems. It seems like a good deal for a quality kydex holster and is almost half the price of a Raven Phantom.

Holster of the WEEK

If anyone has any expirence with either of theis holsters (good or bad) I'd appreciate your imput. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

No experience with them, but welcome to DC!

I've been carrying my S&W full-sized 9mm in an Old Faithful IWB holster for over 7 months. Use it 90% of the time, carry all day everyday and it works great! Very comfortable and no one knows I'm carrying. Before I received my CCW permit I used to carry at home and whenever I was on private property (legal in my state) to practice, and even my family had no idea I was carrying. Very concealable, very comfortable, and he kit is very reasonably priced. It only took me about 10 minutes to put together. Another nice thing is the company allows you to try it for 30 days...if you don't like it, return it for a full refund. Give it a shot...I think you'll like it.

I'm not familiar with OWB you mention. I'm sure you'll get some feedback on that one. Welcome to DC!
    If guns kill people does that mean that pencils misspell words??

Distinguished Member
    No experience with the Hideous Holster, but if you are looking at Old Faithful for IWB you might also want to check out Ozarks Holster Company Ozarks Holster Company | Quality Holsters Made in USA - I received one from Dustin several weeks ago and it is a really well made holster for about half the price of a Crossbreed. You should also look at Crossbreed and Theis. These are the names that keep coming up on this forum.

Welcome!

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

Comptac Mtac. Trust me if you're looking at hybrid holsters you will not be disappointed. I carry the same glock frame size as your 23 in one everyday. It is so comfortable, with a good belt I forget I'm wearing it. Not to mention everything on the holster is fully adjustable, cant, ride height, tension; you can even buy spare pieces of kydex to carry different size guns on the same leather backing. Oh and the belt clips that come with it(I have the c clips) are some of the best clips on the market. I don't see a way for them to get worn out at all. Another plus is the time it takes them to make it, which is around a week I think. Much better comparing that to a few months for some other brands. It is a quality holster that I can't say enough good things about.

Also take a look at the ACE-1 by SHTFgear.com. Mine was immediately comfortable, priced competitively, and was in my hands within two weeks of my order.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    Also take a look at the ACE-1 by SHTFgear.com. Mine was immediately comfortable, priced competitively, and was in my hands within two weeks of my order.
    +1 for SHTF gear. I have three of these holsters from Clay and his team. Here is my review with pictures....you should check em out
    Review: SHTF Gear LLC ACE-1 hybrid IWB
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Well I just placed and order with Old Faithful. I decided to stick with my original thought and give their IWB a try. Can't wait to get it.

I see you already placed your order but if you find you are not happy with it TT Gun Leather has an IWB/OWB combo holster Reinforced Convertible Pancake OWB IWB I just got mine and it's great in every aspect. I have only worn it IWB and it is very comfortable and I hardly notice it's there. Once I get an actual gun belt I probably won't notice it at all. The turn around time is a few months as they have quite a few orders but it is definitely worth the wait.

Old Faithful and other hybrid holsters are very comfortable as they provide a layer of leather between you and your gun. On the downside they are made with a lot of leather and in hot and humid climates that means sweat. The other problem that some experience is that when you sit down the bottom of the leather hits whatever you are sitting on. Make sure you get one that allows you to adjust the height to avoid that problem.

I have a great and inexpensive solution to your OWB holster. When I carried a Glock 23 I was like you. Only needed an OWB for occasional use and did not want to spend a lot. I bought one of the plastic holsters that Glock makes and can be found all over the web for about $12. I was very surprised how well it worked. My Glock 23 snapped into place and was held tight against my body. With an untucked larger shirt you can carry it like that. For $12 it is amazing and perfect for your needs. I still have mine and it has held up over 3 years. Google it and save yourself a lot of money.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Lead Moderator
    I have a Old Faithful holster I put together and am breaking in. So far it seems to work well enough and is fairly comfortable.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Also have an OF IWB. Nice & cheap...a great combo.
    You'll like it.

Links