"Well it's a belt time" ha

This is a discussion on "Well it's a belt time" ha within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a Wilderness 5-stitch and it seems to do fine with holding up my 23. Just wanted to tap the knowledge base here: ...

Thread: "Well it's a belt time" ha

"Well it's a belt time" ha

I currently have a Wilderness 5-stitch and it seems to do fine with holding up my 23.

Just wanted to tap the knowledge base here:

Wilderness CSM model vs. high-end leather gun belt....pros and cons and which/who would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

--Dan

2. Remove Ads

I haven't worn a wilderness belt so I can't comment about them other than to say I don't like the looks of them.
    I prefer a good leather gun belt. Even if the gun and holster is concealed a lot of the belt shows with the way I dress.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Howdy!
    I've got 'em both (My Wildernesss is a 5-Stitch, not a CSM). From my experience, both the 5-Stitch and a good leather belt support the holstered firearm about the same. The Wilderness, having a more "square" edge is slightly less comfortable than a leather belt with a "round" edge, at least from a middle aged fat guy's perspective.
    The Wilderness belt is a great value for what it costs - I feel very comfortable in recommending them. A good leather belt is slightly superior, IMHO, but it is going to cost two to three times what a 5-Stitch will. If you're on a budget and your wardrobe will allow it, the Wilderness belts are a great option.

Gary, that's class, suggesting a product not your own. Good on you, pal.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I agreee with Gary 100% my Wilderness holds the gun and my pants up just fine. That being said a quality leather gun belt is slightly more comfortable, and keeps the gun in place a tad better. Of course I only recommend this with Gary's holsters..LOL

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Have both along with several Milt Sparks leather and a Kramer Sharkskin. Personally, I find that the heavy leather belts support the gun better especially a 1911 like I carry along with two extra mags. The Wilderness tended to "sag" some with this weight on it but it's a great belt for the lighter weapons I have like a P99c or XD40sc. The shark is the ultimate as you can beat the hell out of it, roll around on the ground, etc and it keeps looking like new as sharkskin doesn't scratch like leather. A good belt is the heart of your carry system and it makes no sense to spend $100 on a great holster and $20 on a cheap belt. Invest the extra $60 to $100 (or much more for shark) and get a product that will do whats it's supposed/designed to do and should last a lifetime. BTW, I totally agree with whats said earlier, if on a budget, I'd buy another Wilderness vs a cheap leather belt.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Check out the beltman belt and if you want no sag get it with the plastic insert.

I would like to thank everybody that has taken the time time respond thus far. I have a question about the leather belts that I don't think has been addressed much in these forums:

Do they form to the body?

I ask this because I used to have a CSM model Wilderness belt. I found that whether wearing IWB or OWB, there was always a HUGE gap at the ends of the holster and that it took several inches for the belt to become flush with my waist. (did I describe this accurately? Ha). So that's a concern with any "lined" belt and I'm wondering if a non-lined leather belt would correct this problem.

As always...thanks in advance, guys!

--Dan

I like the Wilderness for IWB carry but not OWB. I like it because it is infinitely adjustable. OWB it's not thick enough or rigid enough to support a decent sized defensive handgun. I wear one daily to work (unarmed since I teach high school) and love it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a Milt Sparks belt, a Beltman belt, and a Wilderness 5-stitch Frequent Flyer, all 1 1/4".

Personally, I prefer the leather. I wear the Wilderness when I'm going to be doing something which might expose my leather to abrasion or other damage.

I have a gapping problem as well, on both my body and the holster (very small waist), and I like the Sparks belt because it's pre-curved. And it has broken in around the places where I hang my gear, and fits even better over a few months of wear.

My Beltman belt also has horrible finishing on the edges...the coating/coloring flakes off where it passes through the buckle. I don't know if this is a QC issue or an issue with all his belts; everyone seems really happy with them here. And as it breaks in some more, it should fit me. (To be fair, I haven't yet spoken to the Beltman about the issue and given him a chance to resolve it; every product has duds, and it's in how the maker responds which is the best indicator of quality...and he's been super-responsive during the ordering process, so I expect good CS will continue.)

But my favorite belt of all time was my Milt Sparks sharkskin, which I only had for a few months before it was stolen out of a locker room...replaced with a pebble-grained black leather one. But you just can't kill the sharkskin.

AX

Over the years, several of my belts have had the finish wear off in spots. A little judicious application of plain old shoe dye fixed 'em right up.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I like the Wilderness for IWB carry but not OWB. I like it because it is infinitely adjustable. OWB it's not thick enough or rigid enough to support a decent sized defensive handgun. I wear one daily to work (unarmed since I teach high school) and love it.
    I find that odd, because I use a 5 stitch Wilderness belt all the time and tote a .45 caliber XD or a .357 Magnum on it in OWB carry when I do.

I can see the 3 stitch belts not being stiff enough however.

Same product, different experiences I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Over the years, several of my belts have had the finish wear off in spots. A little judicious application of plain old shoe dye fixed 'em right up.
    Yeah, but this happened the first time I wore the belt...you can see, hear, and feel the buckle scraping off the edging as you tighten it down. The belt is only a few weeks old....not "normal wear" by any means. I tried using leather dye, and even a sharpie when I had no other choice and had to look right for work, but the remaining edging continues to peel. Again, this is apparently not an issue with too many other people's Beltman belts, so mine must be a fluke.

Links