IWB Holster w/ Thumb Break... Statureman or ???

This is a discussion on IWB Holster w/ Thumb Break... Statureman or ??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a CrossBreed IWB holster for my Ruger LCP a couple months back. And it's ok, but I wish it had a thumb break. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: IWB Holster w/ Thumb Break... Statureman or ???

I got a CrossBreed IWB holster for my Ruger LCP a couple months back. And it's ok, but I wish it had a thumb break.

When I'm using a holster with a thumb break, I feel much more confident, particularly when I am fumbling around putting the holster on or taking the holster off. (When a gun is in a holster and the thumb break is closed, I feel like there is no chance of accidental discharge.)

So I'd like to buy a new IWB holster with a thumb break. Something like the CrossBreed, but with a thumb break, would be ideal.

Any other manufacturer of IWB w/ thumb break I should consider?
    Last edited by wendyw; April 28th, 2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Basically my question is: Are there any other manufacturers other than Statureman that make an IWB holster with thumb break?
    Last edited by wendyw; April 28th, 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: removed duplicate photo

VIP Member
    Here is another: Inside the pants holsters
    I wouldn't recommend it, but it is an ibw with a thumb break.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    FWIW, a thumb break is really only to help insure that the firearm won't be removed from the holster unintentionally, as opposed to any accidental discharge protection. This is why you probably won't see many options for IWB with a thumb break. If it's concealed inside your waistband, there shouldn't be much of a risk of having your firearm snatched from the holster. If you are having concerns when you are taking the holster off or putting it on, maybe try doing that procedure with the holster empty. And I guess I should add that hybrid holsters rely on the tension created when worn to retain the firearm, so it's not necessarily meant to hold the firearm secure when it's not secured to the belt and in position.

Personally I think that with a little practice and increasing confidence in your tools, you'll be good.

Good luck on your search.
    Takeem406 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    FWIW, a thumb break is really only to help insure that the firearm won't be removed from the holster unintentionally, as opposed to any accidental discharge protection.
    My thinking is that a thumb break will add a significant degree of protection against accidental discharge: If I never open the thumb break, then an accidental discharge is virtually impossible, right?

hybrid holsters rely on the tension created when worn to retain the firearm, so it's not necessarily meant to hold the firearm secure when it's not secured to the belt and in position.
    That's my concern. With my CrossBreed, the gun sometimes becomes unseated from the holster when I am trying to put it on / take it off. My gun even once went tumbling to the floor. With a thumb break, I don't think either of those things would happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyw View Post
    My thinking is that a thumb break will add a significant degree of protection against accidental discharge: If I never open the thumb break, then an accidental discharge is virtually impossible, right?

That's my concern. With my CrossBreed, the gun sometimes becomes unseated from the holster when I am trying to put it on / take it off. My gun even once went tumbling to the floor. With a thumb break, I don't think either of those things would happen.
    An AD is impossible in any holstered weapon.

If you think you'd like more inherent retention then maybe just look at full leather or full kydex options. Both will have a higher degree of retention when not being worn and most kydex rigs will actually have an adjustment screw, or screws, to allow you to control retention. Once again, if this is mostly a concern when you are removing the holster or putting it on, then you simply need to put the holster on empty and then insert your firearm, or remove the firearm, then remove the holster. If this procedure makes you nervous, then I respectfully advise you to practice more and/or get some advanced training, because this is an absolutely essential part of actually being prepared for a self defense situation, so you should be comfortable with drawing and reholstering.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

An AD is impossible in any holstered weapon.
    Agreed.
    Which is exactly why I'd like a thumb break: to stop my pistol from becoming unholstered while I am putting the holster on or taking the holster off.

The retention on my CrossBreed is not-good.
    I've seen instructions for increasing the retention by using a hairdryer and pushing more kydex into the trigger area.
    But putting additional rigid material near my pistol's trigger doesn't seem like an ideal way to prevent accidental discharges.

VIP Member
    If providing its own retention is a consideration (it is for me), hybrids don't work. There are many kydex holsters which do provide it, but this is the one I personally recommend:
    Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    As I have mentioned elsewhere, if you buy this holster and find it doesn't work for you, I will buy it for what you have in it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

A thumb break is basically for retention. With an IWB holster it is basically necessary. You can increase the tension on the gun by adjusting your belt. I also think it wold be more difficult to release a thumb break on an IWB holster than on an OWB holster since it is closer to your body. It would most likely prove to be more uncomfortable as well. As far as an accidental discharge goes, as long as you don't pull the trigger you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Holster View Post
    A thumb break is basically for retention. With an IWB holster it is basically necessary. You can increase the tension on the gun by adjusting your belt.
    The retention is fine when I'm wearing the holster and my belt is cinched down.
    My concern is the poor retention of the holster when I'm putting the holster on or taking it off: I'd like the pistol to be strapped-in to the holster during these maneuvers.

So back to my original question: Can any of you recommend a manufacturer that make IWB holsters with thumb breaks?

VIP Member

So back to my original question: Can any of you recommend a manufacturer that make IWB holsters with thumb breaks?
    No. That is why I recommended something else for you to consider.
    TX expat likes this.
    William T. Sherman

The retention is fine when I'm wearing the holster and my belt is cinched down.
    My concern is the poor retention of the holster when I'm putting the holster on or taking it off: I'd like the pistol to be strapped-in to the holster during these maneuvers.

Perhaps your current holster is to loose? I prefer leather, and all my leather IWB holsters have positive retention. I can hold them upside down, shake them, move them all over and the only way my weapon is coming out is if I remove it.

Sorry I cant help you with an IWB holster with thumb break, but maybe look at the quality of your current holster.

You can check out www.firearmholster.com He makes an IWB with a thumb break.

I don't like thumb breaks because they add to the chance of an AD, by having something else to get in the way when holstering my firearm. You might want to try putting the empty holster on and holster the gun afterwards.
    Holster likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    all my leather IWB holsters have positive retention. I can hold them upside down, shake them, move them all over and the only way my weapon is coming out is if I remove it.
    Not my CrossBreed; my tiny 10oz pistol will fall out if I hold the CrossBreed upside down.

maybe look at the quality of your current holster.
    CrossBreed is supposed to be the best-of-the-best, but I guess that reputation isn't based on super-retention.

You can check out Blank Title - Home He makes an IWB with a thumb break.
    I'll check that one out; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I don't like thumb breaks because they add to the chance of an AD, by having something else to get in the way when holstering my firearm.
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    You might want to try putting the empty holster on and holster the gun afterwards.
    My strategy is to never holster or un-holster my gun anywhere but at the shooting range.
    Once my pistol is loaded and in the holster, I don't mess with it at home etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links