How do you carry all this STUFF?!?!?!

This is a discussion on How do you carry all this STUFF?!?!?! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right, so I've got a mid-sized 9mm semiauto as my primary EDC, 13+1 doublestack. Rides at 4 o' clock strong side. Also have a 32acp ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How do you carry all this STUFF?!?!?!

Right, so I've got a mid-sized 9mm semiauto as my primary EDC, 13+1 doublestack. Rides at 4 o' clock strong side. Also have a 32acp pocket pistol for BUG/Deep concealment. Havent been carrying extra mags for either.

Just added OC spray to my self defense aresenal, because lets face, I dont want to HAVE to shoot someone just because I had no other tool to defend with. I dont carry a knife, but should and want and often have need of it for other things.

So heres the question: How do you carry a steel framed doublestack semiauto, pocket pistol BUG, 1 spare mag for each, pepper spray, AND a tactical folding knife without looking like you are wearing a duty belt on patrol in south side Chicago? Where do I put my flashlight? Do I even carry it at all?

I cant stand things in my back pockets if i have a choice, sciatic nerve pain and all. But have been known to conceal my BUG back there. I have thick strong leather gun belts, so thats nice.. the weight isnt TOO much of an issue, but when the weather was colder I had so much stuff stashed in my coat pockets: knife, light, spare mag or two, wallet, etc... my coat looked like it had bricks in the pockets.

See my dilemma? I want to carry more gear, but dont want the bulk, nor appearance of being an Secuirty guard or on-duty LEO in business casual attire.. I am not a LEO btw, I'm a Computer Network Systems Technician. So at work, I really need to carry less and be more discreet... as in I carry my BUG as primary, sometimes have a knife and try to find a spot for my light in a jacket pocket.

Could really use help advising on what I need to carry vs what I dont, and how to do so responsibly, safely, and without looking para-military. Pictures of others' comparable carry options are helpful too. Im a visual learner. Thanks!
    BadgerJ likes this.

CSL
    I wouldn't carry the spray. Especially if already carrying 2 guns. A non-lethal option is to draw and hold the attacker at gunpoint without firing.

I carry a full size 9 on my right hip iwb. Spare mag on my left owb. Pocket sized led light and knife clipped inside left pocket. Phone in that pocket. Slim wallet, keys, change, etc, and another knife in the right pocket. Nothing in the back pockets except receipts.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

If absolute, ultimate concealment is required, then that can be a lot of stuff to carry at all times.

My two basic combinations:

• Ultimate concealment: BUG in the pocket, along with spare mags; knife clipped to the off-hand side; mini flashlight in the shirt pocket or off-hand pocket (ie, 4Sevens Mini); with slim/spartan wallet alternative and keys in another pocket.

• Standard load, where I can wear a covering garment (sweater, coat, or shirt that's not tucked in): Primary IWB on the hip, with spare mags on the opposite hip, riding on a very good-quality belt at least 1.5", with color-matched clips to blend in; flashlight in belt holster, or mini light in pocket; pepper spray on small belt holster (though rarely carried, generally only if going to places I know firearms are disallowed); knife in pocket; occasionally carry a pocket BUG, but then I generally ditch the light and spray (assuming general daylight carry).

General tips: Decent pockets are a good thing. Downsizing your load is a good thing (ie, a mini flashlight, instead of a hand-sized one). Ditching some of the backups/alternatives if you're opting to carry both a primary and a backup gun. Going from two spare magazines down to one. Changing your clothing, to support a light/patterned covering garment at most times, allowing you to get away with more on the hip.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It should be no problem as demonstrated here. Ya just need to limit your mobility.

Concealed weapons - YouTube
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Here is my typical setup.....

Strong side carry IWB at 4'o clock with ruger SR40C / G22 ? ruger LCR 38. Spare mag for SR40C stongside at 2 O'clock ( I use a horizontal mag carrier not a vertical ) no spare for G22 or LCR ( yet). In my front right pocket all my pocket change and what not. front left i carry a streamlight tactical penlight, the long one. It is 80 lumens, runs on AAA batteries, is bright, and is no thinker than a AAA battery so in very easy to carry comfortably. In that same pocket i carry a very non descript but very sharp dress pocket knife that does not scream tacticool. On my weak side at 2 o clock i carry either a short Ka Bar TDI or a tactical folder depend on my mood or situation. Thats my basic load out
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Elias: "You’re humping too much stuff troop."
    wmhawth, Brad426, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

^ this.. im starting to think that I WANT to carry more than i truly NEED given the levels of risk I am in at certain locations.

I'm almost thinking for M-F at work carry, i need to trim it down to the BUG/pocket pistol, spare mag, small flashlight and a flat folding knife.

For Weekend ventures into mutliple locations or places I am not familiar with, full size 9mm EDC, spare mag, BUG, folding knife. Keep flashlight in jacket with spare mag for BUG... I always have at least one LED flashlight with charged batteries in every car, along with at least one small-large knife.

my iphone is slim enough, my keys get clipped to my belt loops via a carabiner, and my wallet is usually in my jacket pocket or front pocket with my phone (where my bug is not). I keep my drivers license and concealed pistol license in a small sleeve in my left rear pocket at all times. so even without my wallet, I can still identify myself and am legal to carry concealed.

sad thing though? a dumb fanny pack would solve all these issues.. theyre SO darn practical.. but SO .. bad looking.
    pgrass101 likes this.

I would lose the spray and the flashlight. Yesterday, I wore cargo shorts, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt around town. No one knew I had a Sig P238 HDW .380 in my right front pocket with two spare magazines in the cargo shorts pockets, a government size 1911 at 3:00 o'clock on my belt, a spare magazine at 9:00 o'clock on my belt, a Benchmade assisted open knife clipped in my right back pocket, and a Benchmade auto knife clipped in my left back pocket. If I am spending time in more rural areas, I trade the 1911 and spare magazine for a Glock G20 SF 10mm or my FNH FNX-45 and two spare magazines.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I would lose the spray and the flashlight. Yesterday, I wore cargo shorts, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt around town.
    Agree on the spray and I don't carry a flashlight as my legged are bright enough to blind! I found these to be some of the best cargo shorts for the Vegas summers and carry: Tru Spec 24 7 Ripstop Shorts at Galls

I'm assuming those were Birkenstock you wore?

Just a note, you'll need a great belt if you fill up all the pockets in those shorts!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    I'll take some heat for my comment here. That's okay:

I carry a primary and spare mag or speed strip. That's it. I'm no longer in a high-risk occupation, therefore I retired the bug.

I don't carry OC spray, because I'm still young & mean enough to stomp in a non-lethal confrontation. I carry a knife for cutting stuff, not people. I'm not trained to use it, and would only deploy it in the most desperate of situations.

It's a compromise of quality of life vs. being armed to the teeth. If you can comfortably carry and be proficient with all that gear, then by all means do. Just don't let it dissuade you from your primary mission of providing a good defense for you and yours.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I'm with Whec except for the part about being young and spry. My primary defense other than my EDC is I don't go to stupid places with stupid people at stupid times.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'll take some heat for my comment here. That's okay:

I carry a primary and spare mag or speed strip. That's it. I'm no longer in a high-risk occupation, therefore I retired the bug.

I don't carry OC spray, because I'm still young & mean enough to stomp in a non-lethal confrontation. I carry a knife for cutting stuff, not people. I'm not trained to use it, and would only deploy it in the most desperate of situations.

It's a compromise of quality of life vs. being armed to the teeth. If you can comfortably carry and be proficient with all that gear, then by all means do. Just don't let it dissuade you from your primary mission of providing a good defense for you and yours.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    My EDC is my primary,extra mag/speedloader/strip [ 2 with the LCR] folder. Thats it
    K.I.S.S.

This is why I wish a Batman-type utility belt was socially acceptable to wear. One day...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

good point whec... i, like my wife, think I will keep the OC spray on my main key-set (i have a few sets of keys depending on car being driven, plus apt keys, keys to in-laws, cottage keys, etc). Somehow I just gotta feeling I am more likely to be in a scenario where i may want to use pepper spray than draw a pistol.. like some 12 yr old kid vandalizing my car or a dog readying to attack.. may not want to shoot in those cases.... it keeps bugging the back of my mind.

the knife may be too much.. like you said whec, if we aren't trained to use it effectively, its either going to get taken from us, or we may cut ourselves instead.

What does everyone think of the option of replacing one or more backup mags with the BUG instead? Do i really need/want to carry 35-42 rounds of ammo which weighs about 3-4lbs in my pockets? really?

I think I'm starting to realize that there is no one size fits every day EDC arrangement.. it all depends on where you're going, what you're wearing, how much risk you'll be in, and what you're willing to give up to carry all of this, or none of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    This is why I with a Batman-type utility belt was socially acceptable to wear. One day...
    I know, right?!

... if i wanted to wear this much gear on a day to day basis, I should have just joined the MI State Police or the Military...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links