Question for Beltman belt owners

This is a discussion on Question for Beltman belt owners within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my beltman this past saturday and have been wearing it since. Its a horsehide WITHOUT the stiffener. I feel like this is possibly ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By cn262

Thread: Question for Beltman belt owners

I got my beltman this past saturday and have been wearing it since. Its a horsehide WITHOUT the stiffener. I feel like this is possibly a really dumb thing to ask, but I will anyways because its bugging me. Mine is getting really flimsy in the front especially where the buckle prong holes are (where I bend and cinch it down). I know its going to wear some in that spot, But is it normal for it to actually get pretty flimsy there? I really like it other than that spot getting flimsy. Kinda wishing Ida got the stiffener.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow_point View Post
    I got my beltman this past saturday and have been wearing it since. Its a horsehide WITHOUT the stiffener. I feel like this is possibly a really dumb thing to ask, but I will anyways because its bugging me. Mine is getting really flimsy in the front especially where the buckle prong holes are (where I bend and cinch it down). I know its going to wear some in that spot, But is it normal for it to actually get pretty flimsy there? I really like it other than that spot getting flimsy. Kinda wishing Ida got the stiffener.
    I don't have a Beltman brand but I have a stiffener in my Looper Leather and I do not in my Crossbreed belt. I much prefer the Looper with the stiffener. Some guys like stiffeners & some don't. For me, the rig just feels more secure. You should not have to "cinch up" a gun belt too tight for it to hold properly. Good luck!

I've got two of the 1.5" double-hide belts and a 1.25" double-hide belt, each without the stiffener. Each of the 1.5" belts have the 1/4" taper in front to make it a bit more comfortable.

On the tapered section, I also noticed it go a bit flimsier over the first few weeks of wearing them. But I have not found either of the 1.5" belts to be "floppy" over time, and I've worn each of these for about ~5yrs.

I hear what you're saying about the stiffener. On a heavier loadout (holster, gun, spare mags, light), I would think the stiffener on the 1.5" belts might be worth it. On the 1.75" variety, it might well not be necessary.

One thing I can say is that the Beltman 1.5" dual-hide without stiffener after 5yrs is nowhere near as stiff as a Kramer 1.5" duty belt that I have. That Kramer never did go softer, in any way.

Up to you, whether you feel an even stiffer belt would be worthwhile. Depending on your body's shape and how hard you cinch down the belt around your gear, you might well find it remains stiff enough for the job. I have, despite having a few more curves around the waist than many "bean poles" who carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One other thing to remember, they recommend that you NOT bend the belt back past a 90 ( I think that's the limit but it may be even less) degrees when you cinch it down. That breaks down the stiffness of the leather faster.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I have had mine become slightly softer, but only one the hole that I wear it. I have cranked it over more that I should have once or twice, and I attribute it to the loosening, however it is still stiffer than any belt I have ever owned and does not appear a point of weakness. Still love it and wear it well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I guess I should have clarified, I prefer the stiffener for OWB. I think it holds the OWB rig tighter. For IWB, I usually use my Crossbreed belt without a stiffener or my Wilderness 5-Stitch. They work just fine. I can use the CB & Wilderness for OWB, I just like a stiffened belt better for that. So, don't think it won't work for you. It'll probably be fine.

I have a 1.25" with the stiffener, but it is important to understand that the stiffener goes between the buckle and holes - it does not run the entire length of the belt. My belt is Steerhide. You can see where the bend is from the hole I use, but it's certainly not "flimsy." You should give them a call. I called and spoke with the owner when I was deciding what I wanted and he was extremely friendly and helpful. BTW, I love my Beltman belt.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

I dont think Im gona worry about it. Its not quite as stiff around the holes after use as I was expecting, but its still a great belt. I think Ill use it for OWB in the winter and for dressy occassions. I just got a wilderness instructor belt and have been wearing it today, and I have finally found what works for me IWB!!! I got the CSM 1.5" and could not be happier with this belt! Infinite adjustability makes the world of difference for IWB I think.

Links