gun belt question

This is a discussion on gun belt question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems that alot of people suggest using a gun belt over a regular belt. What exactly makes a gun belt a gun belt? Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun belt question

gun belt question

It seems that alot of people suggest using a gun belt over a regular belt. What exactly makes a gun belt a gun belt? Is there a certain weight/ounce that the belt needs to be? Is it the thickness of the belt? I wear an 1 1/2 belt daily that I bought at the local Harley dealer. It's a heavy belt. Could a gun belt be that much different?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kcarragher View Post
    It seems that alot of people suggest using a gun belt over a regular belt. What exactly makes a gun belt a gun belt? Is there a certain weight/ounce that the belt needs to be? Is it the thickness of the belt? I wear an 1 1/2 belt daily that I bought at the local Harley dealer. It's a heavy belt. Could a gun belt be that much different?
    Depends on the belt...I've seen some harley belts that would work...others that wouldn't. There is certainly a big difference in my gun belt and the blet's that I've seen at the dealers. I like this one and have recommended it before. It's lined with kydex and works very well...pretty much I just want a good heavy 1.5" belt for a gun belt...it doesn't have to be a "gun belt" but the ones labled as such tend to be a lot better in my experience....in other words, all things being equal, I'd choose most "gun belts" over most "heavy" leather belts but that doesn't mean that there aren't a BUNCH of good belts out there that aren't labled as such..
    http://www.looperleather.com/KydexBelt.html

Quote Originally Posted by kcarragher View Post
    The thickness of the leather (usually bull hide) makes the belt much stiffer than normal belts. Most custom belt makers give you the option of adding a plastic stiffener that can be sewn between the leather if needed.

I wore (blew through) several department store type belts, and then broke down and spent the extra money and purchased a Tucker Gun Belt. I will never go back to any other belt.

Just my experience.
    The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

NRA Member
    G19,Mossberg 500,SKS

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you can bend the leather from top to bottom, it won't work as well as a real gun belt....bu be careful, some are very thick and make it hard to thread some holsters....I use a wilderness tactical which is very stiff but thin....some gun belts feel like a steel hoola hoop around your waist so if you do buy one, get a good one from one of the better leathermiesters. for something so important that you will use for many years, saving a few bucks shouldn't enter into the equation...

I found a belt from Carhartt that had mesh fabric like a tactical belt sew onto a leather belt, seems very stiff and strong, have not had a real chance to try it out (have not received the CCW permit yet). but for the class it held the 9mm and holster very well..The sales lady said she can order it because they didn't have my size, but since I will be carrying IWB the next size up will work fine so the belt is in their catalog and can be ordered...http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=10905
    Last edited by hainesjt; November 14th, 2006 at 06:28 PM.
    S&W model 442..
    Beretta 92FS Centurion..
    Several Shotguns to chose from..

No need to mess around with a belt that might work. Go to
    raftersgunleather.com and pick up a cowhide belt. They run less than $50 and will hold any gun you want to strap to your waist. Amazing quality for the price.

The stiffness is generally what makes a gun belt different, with double thick belts you get less twisting and sagging over time than with regular belts.

The method of construction adds to the strength, some use a polymer insert, I don't. My method and generally everyone else is to glue two blanks together and then trim the excess leather and sew them together.

I have started making mine a little thinner than double thick but achieve the same results a stiff belt that supports the holster and any accessories.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Hello, Inkslut (heh!). I like this guy: http://www.thebeltman.net. Good stuff, good turnaround time, good price. Give him a call and you won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    No need to mess around with a belt that might work. Go to
    raftersgunleather.com and pick up a cowhide belt. They run less than $50 and will hold any gun you want to strap to your waist. Amazing quality for the price.
    I agree. I'm gonna hafta order another quick before they get backed up!!

Mike

I've shopped belts for a while.
    I finally found one that works for me.
    2" leather - fairly thick, stiff - I got it at WalMart for $12.
    I kid you not.
    I've been wearing it for a month, and I carry every day.
    Works for me.
    ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    I kid you not.
    I've been wearing it for a month, and I carry every day.
    Works for me.
    ymmv.

Yeah but a 2" belt should be able to hold up a Howitzer. Most of us dont wear pants tacticool enough to even use a 2" belt. A 1.5" barely fits my jeans and I need a 1.25" for dress pants. I dont know of any pants with belt loops that big, that wouldn't look retarded to wear without looking like a mall ninja.

This is an example of a purpose built 1 1/2" Gun belt. Greg can make you one as he posted earlier. Rhome or K&D or some of the other holster makers here can make you one. You don't find them just anywhere. If you look close you can see that leather is two thick layers glued and sewn together like Greg describes.

Last edited by cphilip; November 16th, 2006 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Yeah but a 2" belt should be able to hold up a Howitzer. Most of us dont wear pants tacticool enough to even use a 2" belt. A 1.5" barely fits my jeans and I need a 1.25" for dress pants. I dont know of any pants with belt loops that big, that wouldn't look retarded to wear without looking like a mall ninja.

Well FWIW
    I have two 2" belts and all my Jeans or Cargopants will loop them with no issue at all, also I have no "tuckable shirts so nobody sees it at all and since I don't wear dresspants no worries about that neither..
    mine are German "old style" Army belts that I had for years and I love them since the they are adjustable without holes....
    Now the bigger problem is that buying a holster becomes a real PITA...
    there just isn't many holsters out there that take a 2" belt...
    I currently have a DelFatti ISP-4 that I bought for my P7 at Matt's shop to make me some 2" and 1.75" inch loops so I can carry my P7....
    I think sooner or later I will switch to 1.75" since it makes holstershopping that much easier...and I think I will take a wildernes belt and mod it so I can use the old Beltbuckel from my Armybelt....

Gunbelt

I just received my bullhide gunbelt from the Beltman. It is an awesome belt. It is strong, thick and looks great. I highly recommend the Beltman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links