Appendix Carry w/ Gut

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry w/ Gut within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any luck with appendix carrying with a little extra fluff? Or is it strictly a little man thing? I currently carry at 3-4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Appendix Carry w/ Gut

Appendix Carry w/ Gut

Anyone have any luck with appendix carrying with a little extra fluff? Or is it strictly a little man thing?

I currently carry at 3-4 O'clock but I see the benefit of having the gun in front.

Can you carry a compact Glock this way or is it a smaller gun thing?

In God and Glock we Trust

2. Remove Ads

Tried it with my G36 and a dale fricke archangel , printed a whole bunch . 3:30 it is for me.

VIP Member
    I was about 20 pounds heavier when I started carrying. Appendix just didn't work for me comfort wise and I printed. (I have other issues with it, but those are entirely subjective).

I've lost much of my extra girth around my stomach, but appendix still doesn't work for me. I always seem to print and it just feels uncomfortable. I probably don't have a proper rig, I suppose.

3:30 - 4:00 felt comfortable from the get-go to for me, so that's how I carry.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

PB2
    I've got a bit of a gut and appendix carry a Ruger LC9 with no problem. I don't tuck in my shirt and it drapes right over it.

...I appendix carry a P90 or P97 and an SP101(BUG)...I've been at 251...down to 199...now at 231...cover with a pocket T one size bigger and no problem...I do cut my holsters and move the metal clip/pad up 1"...this sits the holster deeper behind my belt and holds the gun closer to me...with nylon or leather clip-in holsters, you're looking at around $20...

I think it depends on the gun, something tiny might work. I have tried it, but I am too fat. I am 6'4" 250lbs. You might think about something like a remora just to try it out since they are cheap. Or you could just try it out holsterless around the house with an UNLOADED gun, just to see what works and then pick a holster based on that if you think you can make it work.

VIP Member
    What do you mean little man thing?

I can carry a 4" 629 that way cross draw and I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs.

cw%20001.jpgcw%20002.jpgcw%20003.jpg

...I've found that once the decision is made of what to carry, the concealment of that weapon's not hard at all...it does require some change in mode of dress at times...

...for those of you who have popcorn, now's the time to drag it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ade7dO8dmd4
    Kennydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I've found that once the decision is made of what to carry, the concealment of that weapon's not hard at all...it does require some change in mode of dress at times...

kid hiding guns into school - YouTube
    In RE to the vid, where did the kid get the shotgun holster??
    DJC7 likes this.

There are plenty of appendix carriers that have spare tires and are overweight.

5 years ago when I started carrying appendix with a G19, I was 25 lbs overweight. I'm 5'10" and at the time was 220 lbs. It literally took me a whole week to get use to the gun being up front. The pressure the holster put on my body was annoying, but after a while it went away.

Just a few things I've learned along the way:
    1. To conceal a duty size weapon in the appendix position, consideration should be given to the handful of purposely built appendix rigs that have been designed to pull the grip into the body and a wedge at the bottom to push the back of the slide into the stomach more.

2. To conceal a sub-compact size weapon you don't have to have a holster that tucks the grip, but the holster ought to be longer than the sub-compact slide length. The length stabilizes the holster and keeps it from wanting to flop out over the beltline (which will cause it to print like crap).

3. There are big design differences between appendix holsters made to carry the gun real low(thus slowing your draw), and ones that can conceal a G17/M&P9/H&KP30/1911 well and still let you have the grip off the belt to help facilitate a quick draw.

4. For safety reasons a appendix holster you are actually going to train with should have a reinforced mouth opening to help with the re-holstering of the weapon.

5. Any cruddy zero cant IWB holster can work for appendix, but it doesn't mean you should use one.
    BMAT likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post

kid hiding guns into school - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
    In RE to the vid, where did the kid get the shotgun holster??

You also notice the video did not show the kid trying to walk around any.

As to the OP-
    I've got a gut 50" belly with a 44" waist. I've been CC AIWB for awhile now and I find it very comfortable.

One good thing is not having to worry about the "arm" of a chair I sit down in catching the pistol when I try to get up. Nor, do I have to fight with the seatbelt in my car. (Both happened all the time when I carried strong side @ 3:30-4.)

-

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    You also notice the video did not show the kid trying to walk around any.
    ]

-
    I got a good chuckle about thinking of him trying to sit down in the bloody awful fixed desks I had in high school.

I tried adjusting my Crossbreed Supertuck to see how it felt.

I think it would work great if it was an actual appendix holster. Like the Crossbreed Appendix. I put it at about 130-2 O'clock just next to my Blue Moon belly.

Using my G27 it concealed great. Even the 23C.

It sure would be easier to draw and keep concealed. You'd sure know if your shirt rode up.

Now do I want to spend money on another holster???

How are the Crossbreed "knock offs" you see on eBay? I like the idea of a piece if leather between the grip and your body...

Until I lost 45 lbs recently I looked pregnant. No way could I appendix carry and still cannot. Do what I and many others do. Either carry at 4-4:30 on your belt if you gut is all in the front, or pocket carry. I can belt carry but I have a bad hip that translates even light pressure into pain. You can use a gut to your advantage because it will tend to hold your shirt away from your body if you wear it un-tucked, making it easy to carry even a full sized gun.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

There's nothing wrong with my current Supertuck at 4:00 just see the advantages to appendix...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links