709 Slim Holsters

This is a discussion on 709 Slim Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I recently picked up a Taurus 709 Slim and will be taking my CCW class here shortly. I'm starting to search for holster ...

Thread: 709 Slim Holsters

709 Slim Holsters

Hey all,
    I recently picked up a Taurus 709 Slim and will be taking my CCW class here shortly. I'm starting to search for holster options and was hoping you could help to narrow them down for me a bit based on your considerable more experience than what I have. I'm looking for a relatively thin, tuckable holster, and one that will conceal very well. I've got a lot of "anti-gun" friends (read that as you like ) and am in other places where I would rather it just not be seen at all. So far, I have it narrowed down to:

High Noon Split Decision
    Split Decision

High Noon Hidden Ally
    Hidden Ally

Remora 4a Tuckable
    Remora Series 4A Holster (Pocket / IWB)

I've heard a lot of love for the CrossBreed and it's clones, but as a first attempt at CCW, it just seems to be big (and frankly) and kind of intimidating with the dual clips and slabs of leather. Now, I'm a big sweaty guy, though not fat, so I am concerned about the bluing rusting a bit, which made me look at the N82 Tactical with the neoprene in the middle to help protect. I figure leather is fine as long as I'm wearing an undershirt and not storing it in there, but you know more than I do, so tell me if it's a big concern. So, of the ones that I mentioned, what do you think would suit me well? The high noons are confusing a bit because I like the low ride idea of the hidden ally, but the cant on the split decision seems like it would help to conceal too. So, to sum up, I want a highly concealable, IWB, that is thin and comfortable for a first time carrier. I appreciate the help and would love your advice.
    Youngblood

2. Remove Ads

Of the makers you mention, from their product ranges my preference would be for what I call an "advanced iwb"; that is, a purpose-built iwb with the ideal carry angle AND moulded to your pistol:

Down Under Straps

Most makers have this style, which evolved from the Sparks Summer Special.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I have a High Noon "Bare Asset" which is basically the "Split Decision" without the tuckable flap. Very good holster and I like it a lot. Well made and good people to deal with. I also use one of their belts and it rocks, too! Big Thumbs Up for High Noon Holsters! Usually in stock so you'll get it right away.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Dont be intimidated by hybrids, they are not that difficult to use and are very comfortable. Regular oiling should prevent any rust, and the leather helps a good deal as well. I use holsters from SHTFGear.com, I have three and they are awesome.,
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I just was looking at that site. Does it stay fairly cool in the hot months? 100 plus with 100% humidity, I would like something that stays fairly cool.

Links