Even I get to have a play sometimes

This is a discussion on Even I get to have a play sometimes within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's not often one makes holsters for the old Browning HP P35, but recently had an order for one (very European, don't you know) and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Even I get to have a play sometimes

It's not often one makes holsters for the old Browning HP P35, but recently had an order for one (very European, don't you know) and built this:

brng hp (1).jpgbrng hp (2).jpg

I'm not posting for attaboys, but rather to show that when all the subtle details are melded, a holster can transcend being a simple pouch. Much like an extraordinarily beautiful woman, fashionably dressed and full of charm and personality, can transcend her mere humanity and become something far better.
    QKShooter, WHEC724, rocky and 1 others like this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    That's a nice looking holster.I'm curious how long did it take you?

Can't beat the classics!

The true man wants two things, a gun and the means to wear and carry it. For that reason, man wants a good holster, and ignores Nietzsche.
    Certified Infidel

That's beautiful! I'd carry my BHP more if I had that rig for it!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    Can't beat the classics!

The true man wants two things, a gun and the means to wear and carry it. For that reason, man wants a good holster, and ignores Nietzsche.
    Nietzsche we can ignore, but not the dangerous curves ;)

Vargas and his nudes have been my earliest inspiration; not wanting to offend any on this forum, I offer this pic of the artist and his (clothed) muse:

albert vargas and his muse.jpg

Christine Stanley, who taught me the art of saddle stamping, aka, leather carving, had her home and studio lined with his nudes.
    Last edited by rednichols; May 5th, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Very very sexy.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    That's a nice looking holster.I'm curious how long did it take you?
    55 years :) Thankfully I don't track current times during this startup phase; instead I'm thinking about the standard processes that will be substituted as demand picks up. For example, why track how long it takes to cut the parts individually, as I do now, knowing that a clicker die will cut each part in moments only. As a client said to me decades ago, "You are artist, not businessman". So I'd only scare you (and myself) if I worked it out, and then told you, how long each takes to complete :)
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    Very very sexy.
    It's waiting for you, Zombie. Made from Australian cowhide in whiskey or black colours, trimmed in ostrich or emu legskin, in this case for the SIGs (this one moulded to a railed P229); lining in wild kangaroo is optional. All my holsters are available from High Noon in Florida, and are meticulously quality checked there for fit and function with the real pistol:

sig p229 rails.jpg
    Red (Richard) Nichols

You know Red, Vargas has always been a great favorite of mine, too. He had an almost surreal reverence for the female form.
    I can see a similar respect for the firearms' dangerous curves in your work. You can't hide it despite talk of standard processes.
    Certified Infidel

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    55 years :) Thankfully I don't track current times during this startup phase; instead I'm thinking about the standard processes that will be substituted as demand picks up. For example, why track how long it takes to cut the parts individually, as I do now, knowing that a clicker die will cut each part in moments only. As a client said to me decades ago, "You are artist, not businessman". So I'd only scare you (and myself) if I worked it out, and then told you, how long each takes to complete :)
    In other words you're making $.02 an hour, right?
    darbo and rednichols like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    So I'd only scare you (and myself) if I worked it out, and then told you, how long each takes to complete :)
    That part makes me feel better. Although I've got many years of catching up on the leather working side. You've probably forgotten more about it than I'll ever get around to learning. lol I spent about 20 minutes looking at those holsters zoomed in really close. There's a lot to learn there. Beauties.

And as an artist, I can understand the fascination.
    rednichols likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It's clear to see the artistic esthetic, but the perfection of function is also there. A great combination.
    I'm already dreaming of mine!
    Certified Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    It's clear to see the artistic esthetic, but the perfection of function is also there. A great combination.
    I'm already dreaming of mine!
    Shrike, yours is built and waiting for the railed 1911 casting that's on its way. You have ordered black but it will otherwise look quite like this lined Maltese Falcon model:

DSC_0010.jpg
    darbo likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

GORGEOUS!!!!!! A very beautiful piece of leather indeed !!!
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

WOW! That's even better looking than the picture on the High Noon Website!
    Certified Infidel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links