clipdraw opinions

clipdraw opinions

This is a discussion on clipdraw opinions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if anyone has experience using the clipdraw systems? I only ask because back in during the summer when I took my CHL class, ...

Thread: clipdraw opinions

clipdraw opinions

Just wondering if anyone has experience using the clipdraw systems? I only ask because back in during the summer when I took my CHL class, the instructor used a clipdraw on his .45 Para, which was one of their double action models, i forget which one exactly. Anyway, he said he would never go back to carrying with a holster, and his way of carrying seemed a bit odd to me, using only a clip draw in what he called "Mexican Style" at about his 1:00. Whenever I carry one of my guns, I like to have them in a holster where the trigger is covered, and they aren't even at my 1:00. I know several of the other students in the class were persuaded to order clipdraws for their weapons, but something about the set up just didnt quite seem right to me.
    I do know that my father, who is not really a gun guy at all but took the class with me, is considering ordering one for his Bersa .380, and i told him I'd reccomend a more traditional type of holster, most likely an inside the pocket set-up. I'm just wondering if their is some amazing quality I am missing about this system in my mind, or if my thoughts about it are grounded in some sense. Any opinions would be appreciated.

http://www.clipdraw.com/ there is a link to their webpage so you can see the product
    Last edited by buckeye .45; November 14th, 2006 at 11:56 PM.

I put one on my .38 Snubby and found it very handy but also very uncomfortable. The gun poked, chafed and prodded me in a bunch of unexpected ways.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I tried the ClipDraw for my Kimber 3" 1911. It works well, within its limits.

The gun is comfortable in "FBI carry" at about 3:30 with the muzzle canted to the rear. I ran into the problem of the 1911's safety getting nudged OFF.

I also tried the gun in Appendix Carry. Not as comfortable as I would like. I have some middle-aged spread and I spend most of my day sitting. The edges of the gun are directly against my body, with no padding from a holster. And I had the same problem with the safety.

I also bought one of the stick-on ClipDraws for my Colt Mustang. My intent was to carry the Mustang as my BUG in weak-side Appendix. The adhesive works REALLY well if you clamp it firmly in place for 12 hours or so.

No problems with the security of hold. OTOH, the first time I practiced clearing a stoppage on the Mustang, the screw heads of the ClipDraw opened a nift gash in the pad of my thumb. I immediately removed it and haven't tried it again.

I think the ClipDraw is a viable solution for short-term carry, such as tucking you gun into your waistband for a quick trip to the store. It may work well if you are on your feet most of the time, too.

My experience suggests that sitting and bending can cause the gun to move on your belt with the ClipDraw. In particular, the angle changes.

I'm sticking to a holster. YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

Links