XD9 Subcompact OWB Holster Question

This is a discussion on XD9 Subcompact OWB Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at some OWB options for the new XD9 Subcompact that I picked up but can't find very many options that appeal to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Warmon

Thread: XD9 Subcompact OWB Holster Question

I've been looking at some OWB options for the new XD9 Subcompact that I picked up but can't find very many options that appeal to me. I really want some type of secondary retention like the Blackhawk that I have for my Sig SP2022 instead of what comes with the gun from Springfield. If anyone has the XD9 Subcompact and has something that sounds like it fits the bill I would love to see it or get some info on it so I can check out more options. I'm not opposed to leather as long as it's something simple and has some type of snap on it. I know I'm kind of picky but I don't want to end up spending money on something that I don't like from the moment I see it just because it's one of the few options. Thanks in advance for any and all input!

My XD9sc lives in a Bear River Snap-on. I really like this holster - it's very well made and is holding up great. It wasn't terribly expensive and I didn't have to wait months to get it. There are a slew of reasons why retention is not desired, but you might get him to add it on. I'm pretty sure FIST has some retention options in both leather and kydex.
    Attached Images
    jcladian likes this.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Something like the G-Code XST Maybe? Its kydex with a thumb break. I like that style of retention because you are normally driving your thumb into where the button is located during a normal draw anyways.

The holster mount is modular, just the holster is $37.45. Depending on the mounting style you want, its $9.50 for a paddle or $22.50 for the belt loop adapter. There's a bunch of other options that probably don't fit your needs too.

Edge Works XST Standard Kydex Holster
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

@Warmon - I can see both sides to the retention argument now that you mention it. I guess I'm just used to it since I've used that type of holster exclusively since I've owned pistols. I've trained with it and have gotten very proficient with them. It's almost second nature for me to release the secondary retention. I'm sure that as long as the pistol fit really tight (as I'm pretty active) I'd probably get used to not having it or retrain myself to not reach for it. I'll look into both of those options though. Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    Something like the G-Code XST Maybe?
    That's getting really close as to what I was looking for. That one will definitely stay on the list to do some more research about. Thanks for the link!

I went with Raven Concealment for my XD9sc. I believe they can add a secondary retention for you as well .

Their wait times can be long, which tends to turn a lot of people off, but I chose them because of their reputation for quality and after sales support (I had some bad experiences with a couple of the fly-by-night, "Home" Kydex guys last year)

Larger shot to show finish and fit....it is custom molded to my body (my waist is smaller than their standard size).

My .02 cents, pancake (use a thumbreak type if you want it) and / or a fobus/kydex type holster is what I use. I haven't found anything else that to me works as well as those two for OWB.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Mine lives in a Crossbreed Snapslide. It's passive kydex retention, so it doesn't exactl fit your criteria, but it works well. I had them tighten it after I first got it, and it'll hang upsidedown now. I've worked under cars, crawled around under my house (plumbing), ran around like a hooligan and wrestled with the dogs, pretty much anything, doesn't move till you want it to.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Thanks for all the pics and replies. All the options definitely have their own appeal. I've been doing a lot of thinking the past couple days, going back and forth between secondary retention and not having it, and I think I'm going to stick with my original plan to find one with it strictly because I plan to OC after July 1 when it's not "illegal" here anymore (again). Plus with me being a smaller framed feller and hot Mississippi summers it just makes sense for comfort. All of the help y'all are giving is greatly appreciated and I'm going to keep all this info handy for future needs. I'm sure once I get home and get my hands on a few different types at my local shops it'll be a little easier to make a final choice. Shopping for stuff is tough out here in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico!! Haha.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Crazy thought, but have you tried the XD9 in the Blackhawk for the 2022? Those guns are really similar in size and shape. Similar enough that the holsters I make with an XD fit the 2022.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsored Links