My Ohio Special IWB

This is a discussion on My Ohio Special IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to try a custom version of the Ohio Special IWB from Mark at Midworld Holster…and I’m glad I did! The Remora I have ...

Thread: My Ohio Special IWB

My Ohio Special IWB

I decided to try a custom version of the Ohio Special IWB from Mark at Midworld Holster…and I’m glad I did! The Remora I have will still get used for other holster duties, but this Ohio Special will be my EDC for sure!

Because of the Remora’s thickness, I needed the ‘larger XL’ shirts that I have to conceal my gun properly (with the Ohio Special, I can get away with my ‘smaller XL’ shirts). I have the ART RFT SS version of the Remora. To be fair, Alan had advised that this holster with its reinforced opening would be a bit bulkier than the non-reinforced version, so I’m not blaming the Remora for the thickness aspect. I did want the reinforced opening for repeated practice drawing from the holster. The main reason I decided that I wanted a holster that attached to my belt is because my gun (G17) moved a little too much for my liking after sitting and getting up repeatedly. I have a decent reinforced belt (Bison Designs Last Chance Heavy Duty) that I kept cinched up sufficiently while wearing the Remora, but it would move just enough to bother me…maybe I’m just too picky. I think that the fact that the G17 is a fullsize gun and that I had the ride height so that I could get a full purchase on the grip contributed to the holster movement.

I didn’t want to (and can’t afford to) have a ‘box of holsters’, so I wanted to buy the right belt IWB holster the first time. I decided on full kydex because while I’m here in the hot and very humid south (I need to move north), I tend to sweat easily and a lot! I wanted adjustable cant and ride height in a holster. In my mind I had settled on a Comp-tac CTAC (or something similarly styled) holster. Then I happened upon Mike’s thread (The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster). I asked him some questions and then contacted Mark. I sent Mark an email with pictures and a description of what I wanted and he said it could be done. I sent my order online on April 27. 6 days later on May 3, I got the email notice that my holster had been shipped! May 8, the holster was in my hands…11 days total from when I placed my order! Very Impressive! The price for the customized holster was very reasonable and the discount for the month of May that Mark is offering helped also.

I wanted the holster to be at 3:00 approx. mainly for sitting comfort. I wanted to hide the full grip with just a T-shirt. I also wanted the gun to ride just high enough so that I could get a good full purchase on the grip. I took some pics of my gun in the Remora in my waistband, printed them off and did some measurements. Approx. 22 degrees of cant is what I came up with that I figured would hide the grip with the right sized shirt.

Mark nailed it. I’m very happy with the holster. To me, the holster is very well put together with the blending of the kydex pieces. Great gun retention. I now can conceal my gun with most of my shirts untucked…meaning I don’t have to buy a bunch of bigger sized shirts. It rides nice and tight to my body. I live in the country, so I do quite a bit of driving longer distances, and my day job puts me sitting in front of a computer at home. ‘Sitting’ comfort is very good for having a gun stuffed inside my pants. I actually fell asleep in my desk chair wearing my gun.

A belt attached holster is so nice! The gun and holster just feel more secure to me. Sitting or standing or whatever position…no gun movement. When I’m using the rest room, no more having to remove the holster and then readjust after. I know I’ve only been carrying since the middle of this past February, and that I’ve got a lot to learn, but for me…this is the way I believe I’ll always be carrying whatever gun I have…with the holster attached to my belt. A smaller gun might change my mind…but I don’t think so at this time.

Again, thanks Mark and a great job on the holster.

100_5929 (Large).JPG100_5930 (Large).JPG100_5931 (Large).JPG100_5932 (Large).JPG100_5933 (Large).JPG100_5934 (Large).JPG

2. Remove Ads

A few more pics. The shirt is one of my 'smaller XL' sized shirts (I'm about 6'2", 230 lbs)
    100_5937 (Large).JPG100_5939_1 (Large).jpg100_5940_1 (Large).jpg100_5942_1 (Large).jpg100_5943 (Large).JPG100_5944 (Large).JPG

VIP Member
    This holster is the real deal, to be sure. Thanks for taking the time to write the review and post the pics. I have been wearing one since about the first of the year, and have sold several more to customers. I know Mark appreciates the positive feedback.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This holster is the real deal, to be sure. Thanks for taking the time to write the review and post the pics. I have been wearing one since about the first of the year, and have sold several more to customers. I know Mark appreciates the positive feedback.
    I should be thanking you also for your Perfect Kydex IWB Holster thread. It's what got me started in this direction. Thanks.

One more to show how close it rides to the body.
    100_5941_1 (Large).jpg

VIP Member
    Looking at your pics, I would make one more suggestion for you to consider. Moving the pants belt loop located behind the rear snap forward so that the rear snap rides directly against it will prevent the holster from shifting rearward as you go through your day. I have done it on all my pants and shorts, and it makes a noticeable difference.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. For small business having customers take time out of their days to write a review really helps in building a reputation, and it means a lot.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Looking at your pics, I would make one more suggestion for you to consider. Moving the pants belt loop located behind the rear snap forward so that the rear snap rides directly against it will prevent the holster from shifting rearward as you go through your day. I have done it on all my pants and shorts, and it makes a noticeable difference.
    Thanks. I'll take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by MidWorld View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up. For small business having customers take time out of their days to write a review really helps in building a reputation, and it means a lot.

Thanks again!
    Your welcome.

Links