Kydex holster question

This is a discussion on Kydex holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are a lot of guys who play with kydex here so hopefully some one can answer a question for me. The all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kydex holster question

Kydex holster question

I know there are a lot of guys who play with kydex here so hopefully some one can answer a question for me. The all kydex OWB holsters interest me but they all look oversized in the width when compared to the gun. They all seem to use flared rivets to join the kydex, but I think they are ugly as sin like this and would like one that is more visually appealing, and not so tactical in appearance. I undertsand the use of flared rivets, but i will never lash it to anything so its a moot point. My question is this.... does anyone offer, or can anyone tell me how to join the kydex aside from adhesives that provides a smaller profile width without using the flared rivets?
    GhostMaker likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

I use double capped rivets on my hybrids. BUT....... The flared rivets on the full kydex are also the points where you attach your hardware for wearing them. It let's the loops or clips become adjustable on the kydex. If you are making one for yourself, just figure out what you want and build the cant into it instead of making it adjustable. Adjustability sells well and in the long run is easier on the maker. Customization is what drives a lot of folks into making their own, or very small makers might work with it too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsor
    There are smaller "rivets" (they are actually eyelets)available. Most of the spade type holsters(RCBS Phantom, etc.) us 1/4" eyelets both to secure the Kydex layers and mount the hardware. I make a low profile OWB holster that is not as versatile or configurable but has a much smaller footprint and sleeker look.

I use an ABS cement and the smaller eyelets to bond the layers. A 50/50 mixture of tetrahydrofuran (THF) and methylethylketone (MEK) is an excellent cement for Kydex to Kydex. Here is a great tech brief on Kydex adhesives.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Kydex holster question

Just use 1 continuous piece of kydex and secure it with Chicago screws like the CCC Looper: http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Looper-LPR.htm
    kaikane0812 likes this.

X-Concealment Model C
    CJ_mp40c likes this.

You might take a look at Blade-Tech's "Razor" iwb holster. I have 3 of them for assorted Glocks and wear one every day. It is easy to forget you are wearing one and they allow me to carry a g30, g27, or g21 under a loose t-shirt.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fourth time tonight. Garrett industries silent thunder slim for aiwb. Leather lined, no big rivets. I have three.

Btw, no affiliation with the company. I just think they make a good product and are easy to deal with.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369096663.360882.jpg

I use a X Concealment C Holster X-Concealment Holster; Holsters, Gun holster, pistol holsters, Mag pouch, Magazine pouch, Kydex Holster, Concealment Holster, Glock holsters, Pmag pouch, and Tactical Gear and also their mag holsters. I'll cc carry with it and also as a range holster.

I use black oxide Chicago posts and screws with rubber bushings between to allow for adjustable retention. I feel these function and look better. As leather breaks in the ability to adjust the retention is key. Due to the IWB and owb aspect I wanted more retention options.

Here are a few examples

James - www.guardianconcealment.com

I understand your thoughts. I do not like thes giant square Kydex sandwiches with too many eyes. They seem to take up too much room and look clunky. I found a couple of makers that do a better job of minimizing and shaping the holster and had one take off even more to trim it down to fit my Shield with no excess plastic/eyelets where it was not needed. Then, I trimmed it a bit more. Between the better shape and use on a small gun, I like my MT Holster a lot. I still prefer a more conventional design on Kydex holsters on my bigger guns.
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've made several kydex holsters, as holsters are difficult to find for some out my "outdated" handguns (those antique, all-metal 3rd Gen S&Ws that are great). I tried rivets, don't have the equipment to work them right, so I went to the local hardware store and found an amazing assortment of fasteners that actually look more "mechanical" than simple hollow rivets. The advantage is I can disassemble the holster and clean/wax the inside to reduce wear from the dirt and grit that accumlates in all holster. As for overall size of kydex holsters, they're only as big as you make them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    "The all Kydex OWB holsters interest me"....

Why are youse guys posting PICS of and suggesting IWB holsters?

I really do not want to delete any more off topic posts in this thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I know there are a lot of guys who play with kydex here so hopefully some one can answer a question for me. The all kydex OWB holsters interest me but they all look oversized in the width when compared to the gun. They all seem to use flared rivets to join the kydex, but I think they are ugly as sin like this and would like one that is more visually appealing, and not so tactical in appearance. I undertsand the use of flared rivets, but i will never lash it to anything so its a moot point. My question is this.... does anyone offer, or can anyone tell me how to join the kydex aside from adhesives that provides a smaller profile width without using the flared rivets?
    I was one of the dummies who posted a picture of an aiwb leather lined holster. :-). Sorry. Check this owb out from the same company.

http://garrettindustries.mybigcommer...t-thunder-stx/

Here is a pic of my P22 paddle. It's one piece of kydex. I work my pattern out on cardboard first. Then cut the kydex with the paddle as part of it. I then mold and fold the kydex where needed. If I had to do it again, I would lessen the material on the trigger side even more and probably just use one T nut. I use brad hole T nuts and screws in 8/32 with a piece of rubber fuel line in between the kydex. This allows for some adjustment in retention. Pretty similar to post #4.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links