About IWB holsters

This is a discussion on About IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I hear a lot of people say that a good holster and belt combo can make your gun "disappear". Maybe some of it is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: About IWB holsters

About IWB holsters

So I hear a lot of people say that a good holster and belt combo can make your gun "disappear". Maybe some of it is exaggeration, imagination or urban legend but I've read about full sized 1911's melting into a t-shirt and shorts getup.

I love my G19 and my XD45c both of which have medium length handles. I carry IWB at the 3.30 position. But the handles print. Especially when I fold my arms or bend down to pick my daughter up. Tighter shirts also expose the handle. When I wear tighter and lighter colored clothes I default to the G26 or if nothing else, my LCP. But I love carrying my G19.

I wear a Galco gun belt (1.5 inches wide) and a Galco Triton Kydex IWB holster at 3.30. I have my cell phone and spare mag at 10.30 and 8.30 respectively. And I drape my polos or t shirts over everything. I'm a medium sized shirt guy wearing larges so the fit is pretty loose.

So my question is: what's the secret? Is there a difference in the level of concealment between a cheapie uncle mike's, a midrange Galco or a fancy Crossbreed? Have you ever successfully hidden a compact or full size length handle under all posture conditions? Does carry position matter? How about belt tension?

I'm ok switching to a smaller gun. I just don't like it. I'd carry my G19 every day if I could completely hide it (which I can't - I've had one or two printing days already with the 19, mostly on tighter and lighter colored shirts. It still conceals well under baggy dark shirts)

Appreciate your input!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The Triton has a narrow front-to-rear profile, and is wide by design. It does nothing to draw the grip of the gun up against the body. If you want an IWB kydex holster which will make your gun disappear, give this one a try. If you don't like it, I will buy it off you for what you have in it. Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    DetChris likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

idk I print sometimes but it doesn't bother me to much unless my gun would be exposed never has so it dont bother me most people dont even pay attention to it remember its not illegal to print I carry a glock 27 and my revolver never prints
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    idk I print sometimes but it doesn't bother me to much unless my gun would be exposed never has so it dont bother me most people dont even pay attention to it remember its not illegal to print I carry a glock 27 and my revolver never prints
    You have a Glock 27 revolver?
    Tuco

One has to find that right 'niche' in the body to CC. A well-boned holster and a good belt make a lot of difference in CC.
    Lastly, keep in mind it IS the grip and not the barrel length that creates difficulty in concealment.
    A 15-20 degree forward cant inside a quality holster that hugs the body under a looser fitting shirt SHOULD make the gun all but disappear.
    You can't wear a shirt that advertises your muscle and hides a good size firearm at the same time...I'm just sayin'...(My muscles have all gone south for the winter, so it's not one of my concerns.)

That said, one might faintly show the 'possibility' of a concealed firearm when reaching up high, twisting and bending, or just raising the arms overhead...that's life...just be aware of those instances and act carefully.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    DetChris, Jetfuelrm, GH and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    I want a Glock revolver too! Anyway I digress :)

I am a firm believer in "concealed means concealed". Not everyone around me is gun tolerant. Heck, there are people who don't even know concealed carry laws existed. I don't want to freak them out or draw any attention. And I like the element of surprise should someone try something stupid.

VIP Member
    I'm going to second trying a different holster. I don't know a thing about your Galco, but not every holster works for every body type and carry position. Maybe give a different kydex rig a try and see how it works for you. The one Mike1956 suggests looks like a solid choice, though I have no experience with them, or maybe a hybrid like a SHTF Ace. I think either one may offer you some difference in how much printing you get.

One more note, unless you are really doing some 'deep' concealment like something that is really way down into your waist, just about every gun is going to print sometimes. It's all but impossible to conceal something like a pistol and eliminate every possible tell. The thing is, nobody is going to be more aware of that than you are, so part of it, IMO, is just carrying confidently and trusting your equipment. Most folks walk around in a permanent state of cranial rectal inversion; they just aren't going to notice a small print every so often.
    Jetfuelrm, DetChris and OD* like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

This is the IWB holster I use. There are a lot of good ones out there just have to find the one that works for you and dress around the gun , not the other way around. I carry a Glock 23 and one would never know I have it. I typically wear Cargo shorts and a T-shirt.

Handmade Hybrid IWB Holsters | Ozarks Holster Company
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The Triton has a narrow front-to-rear profile, and is wide by design. It does nothing to draw the grip of the gun up against the body. If you want an IWB kydex holster which will make your gun disappear, give this one a try. If you don't like it, I will buy it off you for what you have in it. Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    Thanks for the tip! Whoa, $75?? This will be my most expensive holster yet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Far from my most expensive ones, but still one of the very best.
    Tuco

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Wide in which way, Mike? I have a Galco Triton, it's narrow and thin.

RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I'll say this, you will probably have little success finding anything well made for much less; a little less, maybe, but not a lot less.

FWIW, I use a Blade-Tech Nano and I've been very happy with it. I carry AIWB with it, but it does have one adjustment for cant and I used to carry it in the same position that you currently use and it worked great there as well.

Blade-Tech Nano
    MidWorld likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

This topic is perfect today. Last night I was wearing my full sized M&P9 in an OWB holster under a pretty loose Hawaiian shirt at about 4:30. As I was doing dishes, my wife sarcastically pointed out that I was "showing pretty badly." I shifted it around to 3:00 and it was better but not as comfortable. I don't intend to carry this regularly, but thought I'd try it out at home under a nice loose shirt. I guess it was a big "fail."

FOR ME, a 3:00 positioning doesn't work nearly as well for CC as does a 4:00-4:30, behind the hip carry. in the latter position, the gun isn't visible from directly in front, and the curve into the small of the back makes a 'pocket' to keep the gun butt from printing as much. it's a tiny bit slower to access, and really needs a holster that is FBI, or forward tilted.

i've carried a Glock 19 and several Sigs in that position for years without anyone seeing the gun or suspecting that it was there, (at least so far as i know). i'm 5'7", 150 pounds, so it's not like i'm so huge that anything would disappear on me. i usually carry OWB, which should be less concealable, although i occasionally carry a Sig IWB in a Galco NSA, IWB holster.

try moving your holster/gun further around in back of you, and see if that doesn't make the fact that you're armed harder to detect.

when you're armed like this, avoid bending over at the waist. squat with your legs instead. use your non-dominant arm to reach up for things, to avoid pulling up your cover garment and exposing the gun. and when you're about to sit down in a dining room-type chair, be aware not to catch the butt of your gun on the back rungs of the chair as you lower yourself.

YMMV: i realize i sounded a bit too definitive in my original post. body shape, holster and gun combinations, the way one typically dresses - all these things can affect how well or poorly a particular carry method will work for an individual.
    Last edited by sensei2; May 10th, 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: i wanted to soften the tone of my original post.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Wide in which way, Mike? I have a Galco Triton, it's narrow and thin.

Wider at the points where the clip attaches compared to the Watch Six design on the left.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links