Review: Blade-Tech IWB holster

This is a discussion on Review: Blade-Tech IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a few things from Brownells the other day, including a Blade-Tech Kydex IWB holster. Well I got all the stuff yesterday. I opted ...

Thread: Review: Blade-Tech IWB holster

Review: Blade-Tech IWB holster

I ordered a few things from Brownells the other day, including a Blade-Tech Kydex IWB holster. Well I got all the stuff yesterday. I opted for the Blade-Tech over the Milt Sparks IWB holster because with summer coming I know I will sweat and I wanted to try something new. My 1911 is at Springfield Armory getting worked on so I don't have my personal pistol right now. I do have an old Colt and I tried my father-in-laws SA loaded model. Both fit extremely well. I can take the holster gun (UNLOADED) and hold it upside down and shake it with the gun staying right where its supposed to. Drawing is very quick with it and it conceals very very well. Not quite as well as my HBE comm2 did with my CZ P-01 but still very good.

It has two tension screws that work very well. They suggest that once you get it where you like then use locktite on the tension screws. Also the belt loops are made of rubber and are adjustable for 1.25", 1.5", and 1.75". Also the belt loop towards the front has two different anchoring points making it adjustbable for either straight up and down carry or an FBI cant of 15 degrees. The backside of the holster comes up higher to protect the guns safety and to keep sweat from getting to your gun. Over all I am very impress with this holster. I can't wait to get my gun back now. :D

Here is the pic from the manufacturer. I will have more pics either this weekend or I'll wait untill I get my 1911 back.

I paid something like $45 for this holster. Here are the pics. (I was in a hurry so don't make fun of me.) :D

Here is an old Colt in the holster.

Here is the back of the holster.

Here you can see the gap between the holster and the safety. It is significantly narrower when worn.

Another shot of the back. It would be very difficult for anything to get the safety.

Here you can see the belt loops are adjustable for different sized belts.

Here is the open side of the holster.

Can't tell I'm carrying can you. :D

Ahhh there it is.

If you need any other pics just let me know.

clipse

2. Remove Ads

GREAT choice.....I've been converted......I love their products.

Last edited by Administrator; January 21st, 2005 at 10:59 PM.

I hate to dig up an old thread to add a negative comment, but that thing is printing badly. I circled what gave it away immediately. That's one of those "Hi I'm carrying a gun" signs.

I have the exact same problem trying to conceal a full size gun strong side IWB. I just can't do it. The butt of the pistol prints like a counterfeiter's press every single time.

Cross draw seems to work much better. It still prints but I've found a vest or a button up shirt that's one size too big conceals it.
    Attached Images

DC Founder
    I can see it printing, although not that badly, except you already knew the gun was there. Most people are not looking for guns on people other than people that are carrying guns. They are tending to their business and are generally clueless.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

IF he would roll it back more towards 4-o-clock, I think it would vanish, POOF, just like that.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    IF he would roll it back more towards 4-o-clock, I think it would vanish, POOF, just like that.

Yup, I bet it would, too.
    Bumper

Blade-tec makes great products. Ordering from Brownell's really would be better than ordering it from Blade-tec. When I've ordered products from Blade-tec, I've gotten some of the slowest product delivery times I've ever experienced. If Brownell's has their product in stock, you'll probably get it quickly.

I wear a full-size pistol strong side under an un-tucked shirt from time to time. It's more covered than concealed. A patterned shirt (plaid, paisley, floral, whatever,) will help to break up any printing. A darker shirt won't show the shadows of the print as badly. Heavier or stiffer fabric helps. The thin, solid, light yellow shirt in the picture does show the print more than it has to.

If you wear a dark undershirt beneath the gun, it helps too.

If your sense of fashion will allow you to do it, you can wear a patterned shirt un-tucked over the gun and a different patterned shirt under the gun tucked-in. Although don't blame me when your spouse or significant other screams because you're wearing a dark floral pattern Hawaiian shirt over a fluorescent lime green and orange tie-dyed tee-shirt.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Last summer I started wearing a solid colored T-shirt under an untucked, unbuttoned shirt (a couple solid color, a couple of the Hawaiian variety) for concealed carry purposes. I carried OWB in both a paddle and a belt slide and with a Galco Jackass shoulder rig even though the wife knew I was carrying she said she couldn’t tell it was there. Here in swampeast Missouri it gets hot and humid in the summer (98 degrees, 98% relative humidity) and untucked, unbuttoned shirts are a common mode of dress so it does not scream “I’m carrying a gun”.

You guys are all better at this than I am. From every angle I can clearly tell if I have a gun stowed on me.

I have noticed ever since I've gotten serious about this whole thing, I'm spotting guns in the crowd every so often.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    You guys are all better at this than I am. From every angle I can clearly tell if I have a gun stowed on me.

I have noticed ever since I've gotten serious about this whole thing, I'm spotting guns in the crowd every so often.
    Again, you know what you are looking for and at and chances are other permit holders will know you are carrying. I see them everywhere, but it just doesn't matter. They probably spot you about the time you spot them. Too bad we don't have a secret handshake or sign....
    Bumper

That's probably true Bumper but remember I am paranoid.

I used to carry around a Spyderco Perrin Bowie on the weekends but I read the Penal code and saw that Bowie knives are explicitly banned. Never mind the fact you can buy all manner of illegal knives at Walmart.

But I realized that if for any reason I was ever arrested, say a case of mistaken identity, they'd go to Spyderco's website, see it's clearly labeled as a Bowie knife, and they'd nail me to the wall.

I quit carrying that knife. I only carry knives that are clearly within the Penal Code. I also avoid designs like balisongs or assisted openers that are actually legal but most people think aren't. I don't like to tempt fate. I eliminate all the X factors I can.

A photograph of me with a butt print visible like this one might very well land me in jail.

Failure to conceal is a serious crime. My CCW class stressed that heavily, and our instructor reminded us there are several places which are not gun friendly where they would love to put a CHL holder away. I don't like to tempt fate.

That shirt is obviously not the best for CCW. I have been carrying with this holster and even my wife doesn't know when I am carrying and when I'm not. Just FYI.

clipse

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the great pics. I have considered that exact holster for my Springer.

I have a B-T UCH holster for my Ruger P95. It is a nice holster, but the single attachment point for the belt will allow it to roll forward a little bit unless you snug up the belt.

B-T does have a slow turn around time for pretty much everything other than Glock and 1911. They don't keep a lot of holsters in stock except for the Glock and 1911 models.

I'll add another endorcement for the Blade-tech IWB Holsters. Have a "In the Waistband Universal Fits All Holster" for going on 3 years and it is by far the best IWB holster I have used.

My 19 rides in it most of the time and it works as well with my 17. I would prefer something other than rubber for the belt loops but that is my only complaint, just makes getting it into place a little more difficult but once in place it stays in place. Highly recommended.

Monty

Euclidean: open carry is legal throught most of Mo, Thus printing is problably not the problem for us Showme staters that it is for you Texans.....

I've found it almost impossible to not print with the rig I carry unless I use a cover garmet which in the summer becomes somewhat uncomfortable. Just tonight my wife and I went to dinner and then to Wallyworld (microwave broke) and I wore a wife beater tee under a golf shirt. If your looking it is easy to spot but nobody seems to even be paying any attention. Of course YMMV. I've carryed around my extended family this way for quite some time and no one has every noticed.

Links