Tommy's Gun Pack review

This is a discussion on Tommy's Gun Pack review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've tried many types of carry: Smartcarry, IWB, OWB, shoulder rig, pocket carry and a craptacular fanny pack sold by Uncle Mike's. None of them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy's Gun Pack review

Tommy's Gun Pack review

I've tried many types of carry: Smartcarry, IWB, OWB, shoulder rig, pocket carry and a craptacular fanny pack sold by Uncle Mike's.

None of them worked really well for me, some better, some worse and one just sucked.

Finally I ordered up a pack from http://www.kickinapacksnstuff.com/.

I've lived with the Tommy's Gun Pack for over a week now and while it is not perfect is is a great product.

The strap is wide and distributes the weight of my SIG P220, wallet and phone really well. The buckles are huge and easy to manipulate and for being made out of plastic look real rugged. There are two buckles one for belt strap and one for the gun compartment.

The fabric is tough and and well stiched. The zipper teeth and pulls are impressive. Much better than what you find on a "normal" waist pack. Even then there is nothing that screams "GUN!" Mine is "mallard green" instead of tac black which helps keep the in in incognito.

It is set up with three pockets:

The front pocket is only half the height of the second pocket but runs the full length of the pack. The second or middle pocket is the same size of the gun pocket and has a good amount of room.

The third pocket is where the gun lives. It has two zippers, a horizontal zip and a vertical. What releases those zippers is when you unclick the gun hand buckle. This frees up the zippers to move out of your way so you can draw.

Note you can unzip the zips whenever you want. And through the top zip you can reach the weapon if you so choose.

The draw:

What I do is unclick the buckle keeping ahold of the female end and pushing my hand forward toward my gun. By pushing forward the zips undo and I can get my hand in the pocket and thence onto the gun. By keeping ahold of the buckle I make sure it stays out of my way. On my first draws I would let the buckle go and sometimes it would flop around a bit and hold me up. This is no longer a problem.

I know there are people who do not like gun packs, but for me this method of carry makes the most sense and is the most comfortable. And it is not "off body" as I never take it off when I am out of my house. Also the "dork" factor is minimized as a wear long shirts that cover both the strap and the pack. So it is not immediately obvious I am wearing a fanny pack.

Other reasons I like it is I can shift sides if I need to. When walking about I keep it on my strong side, when in a car I shift it to crossdraw, and if sitting in a narrow chair (movie theater seat, one of those sadist designed restaurant armchairs) I shift it directly to the front of me.

Also if I'm just standing there I can keep my hand resting on the gun hand buckle. So if the situation is a bit dicey (and for whatever reason I cannot beat feet just yet) I can stand there in a natural pose yet be an instant away from pulling the gun if it is called for. It is also an easy-off system, with the gun out-of-sight at all times in case I am going into a no-gun zone. Which are rare here in California.

The only two negatives for me on this pack are:

The gun pocket could be a bit larger as the rubber grip on my SIG is jammed right up against the vertical zipper and can be hard to close unless I do it just right.

It could also use a dedicated cellphone pocket, but that is a minor quibble.

Note I have no financial interest in this company.

Warren
    Last edited by Warren; November 18th, 2006 at 04:52 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Also the "dork" factor is minimized as a wear long shirts that cover both the strap and the pack.
    Forgive me, but after looking at that pack on their website, I just can't picture it being covered with a long shirt and not looking very odd. I realize that you've tried IWB and OWB, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be better to simply wear that long shirt as you normally do, but with it hanging over a concealed holster.

I know there have been many threads in various forums discussing what "screams gun", I don't believe that vests, long shirts, and such do any such thing. In my environment, though, I see that pack as an attention-getter. The exception may be in a park, hiking trail, or some similar area where folks may carry camera, binocs, water, etc. on their waist.

I'm glad to hear that it works for you...maybe I'd be more inclined toward the product if I could see what it looks like with a long shirt draped over it as you describe.

Thanks for the review of the product.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; November 17th, 2006 at 10:45 AM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Thanks for the post. This is a great website!

Warren, I see that it comes in three sizes. What size did you get?

Thanks for the post. The pack sounds good for when I'm in the gym. The ankle holster looks good too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Forgive me, but after looking at that pack on their website, I just can't picture it being covered with a long shirt and not looking very odd. I realize that you've tried IWB and OWB, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be better to simply wear that long shirt as you normally do, but with it hanging over a concealed holster.

I know there have been many threads in various forums discussing what "screams gun", I don't believe that vests, long shirts, and such do any such thing. In my environment, though, I see that pack as an attention-getter. The exception may be in a park, hiking trail, or some similar area where folks may carry camera, binocs, water, etc. on their waist.

I'm glad to hear that it works for you...maybe I'd be more inclined toward the product if I could see what it looks like with a long shirt draped over it as you describe.

Thanks for the review of the product.
    First I live in California, and fanny packs are all over the place here. I see them on young people, old people, men, women, hippies, squares, libs, mods, cons, and all the colors of the rainbow. So packs just do not stand out.

Second I'm a bit of a fat ******* so my XXXL Dickies workshirt cascades over me spare tire and acts as a bit of a shelf under which even a big pack can....nestle.

As soon as I get a digital camera I'll post some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ceetee View Post
    Warren, I see that it comes in three sizes. What size did you get?

I purchased a medium in blue and a large in green. They need to make one that is slightly bigger than their large one. Maybe add just an inch to the gun pocket so as to make room for full size guns. I'm not sure a 5 inch 1911 could fit (it does, see next post) in the large size as my SIG is right up against the edge and it's bbl is only 4.2 inches.
    Last edited by Warren; November 17th, 2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: found out I wuz wrong

I also carry in a Tommys fanny pack, the large size. This works great for large guns. For four years now I have used this pack. I carry either a P14/45 full size, or a SA 1911/45 in it. I think so well of this pack that I bought another one for when the old one wears out. I carry in this pack year round, but mainly in the warmer months, and the summer time. The front pocket is used to hold small change, the middle pocket is for my wallet/cell, and the third pocket is where the gun is kept. A long t-shirt, or duck tailed shirt gets NO second looks. A light jacket in the spring/fall no one looks at you. Raise the t-shirt, or pull one side of the split tail shirt aside and unzip the pocket and take the wallet/cell out. With the large buckles one can keep the pack on rather tight to prevent sagging. I made a guy with a Tommys pack. He had on short pants, tucket t-shirt, and his pack was hanging low. It looked like it weighed 10# hanging from his waist. I thought of telling him, and second guessed myself. To each his own.

I have looked at a lot of packs, Tommys is the best hands down.
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Second I'm a bit of a fat ******* so my XXXL Dickies workshirt cascades over me spare tire and acts as a bit of a shelf under which even a big pack can....nestle.
    I'm a fat ******* too, but ya got me beat by one X....

Do post some pics, that would help.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I had not been wearing my knives for a while, one Swiss Army and one CRKT folder. I keep them in a double mag pouch and usually keep that on my belt. But that was not working for me. So i'd been leaving them behind.

I realized that I still had plenty of space in the middle pocket so in they went.

I stood my wallet up on end, flipped back the velcro covers on the pouch and...perfection. My wallet no longer slides around and the knives stay in place in their own little pouches. All three are easy as pie to get to if I've a need and they do not move around.

I'm a fat ******* too, but ya got me beat by one X
    Well, part of that is I have an extra long torso. I should buy XXT shirts but I make do with XXX.

still looks like it would bulge too much

I just found this thread. I'm looking for an all year round method to carry my Glock 19 in a crossdraw style for the car, yet still be able to carry it using the same method when on my feet. This pack looks good, but it still looks to me like it would create a huge bulge underneath a shirt. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs. I wear size large tshirts and polos to conceal a handgun easier. Normally, I'd wear a medium. I'd love to try Tommy's gun pack out, but it still looks like it would bulge out too much under a large t shirt or polo.

Another thing, if you unclick the buckle to draw a weapon, won't the gun pack then fall to the ground?

Since they don't have a return policy, I'm reluctant to try one.
    Last edited by TheWanderer; February 25th, 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
    I just found this thread. I'm looking for an all year round method to carry my Glock 19 in a crossdraw style for the car, yet still be able to carry it using the same method when on my feet. This pack looks good, but it still looks to me like it would create a huge bulge underneath a shirt. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs. I wear size large tshirts and polos to conceal a handgun easier. Normally, I'd wear a medium. I'd love to try Tommy's gun pack out, but it still looks like it would bulge out too much under a large t shirt or polo.

Another thing, if you unclick the buckle to draw a weapon, won't the gun pack then fall to the ground?

Since they don't have a return policy, I'm reluctant to try one.
    It might look a little big. On my wife, her's does stand out. On me it does'nt cause I'm a cue ball.

There are two buckles. One for the strap that goes round your waist and another that opens the gun pouch.

Have you looked at the Wilderness Safe Packer? it has a more vertical profile than the Tommy's Gun Pack.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I wear a XXXl as well and I can't imagine wearing a fanny pak. I just don't see the benefits over OWB carry. If you can hide that thing under your shelf you can hide an OWB rig. Oh well.

I am glad that you have found a way to carry that works for you. It sounds like you have gotten your drawing method down pat.

I am glad there are different options for different people.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I wear a XXXl as well and I can't imagine wearing a fanny pak. I just don't see the benefits over OWB carry. If you can hide that thing under your shelf you can hide an OWB rig. Oh well.

I am glad that you have found a way to carry that works for you. It sounds like you have gotten your drawing method down pat.

I am glad there are different options for different people.
    Actually, I'm back to strongside OWB with a Bianchi CarryLok as I've lost weight and it is comfortable now.

I'll keep the pack though, it may come in handy.

The Safe Packer looks even more unnatural to me than the TGP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links