Going to make my own Kydex OWB Holster...

This is a discussion on Going to make my own Kydex OWB Holster... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just Ordered a sheet of .125 for the back portion and a sheet of .093 for the molded portion. I don't open carry unless I'm ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChadliusNH

Thread: Going to make my own Kydex OWB Holster...

Question Going to make my own Kydex OWB Holster...

Just Ordered a sheet of .125 for the back portion and a sheet of .093 for the molded portion.

I don't open carry unless I'm at the range or hunting so thats why I decided not to buy a premium leather holster.

My question is, after heating up the Kydex with a heat gun....what is the best way to mold it tightly around the firearm and also create a flat edge to rivet to the backer?

The holster is going to be for a Gen 3 Glock 17, and I plan on it resembling a Sideguard slide holster minus the side guard.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I've never done it myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but the tutorial I was planning to try out involved taking two pieces of dense foam (think portable seat cushion), setting them between two boards in a vice, and using them as a form press.

edit: this isn't the exact how-to I saw before, but the concept is the same:

DIY: Kydex Press | Advanced Survival Guide.com

double-edit: Here's the one I had read before:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/genera...-your-kitchen/

M4carbine.com has a very informative thread on this. Unfortunately the wifi I'm using doesn't like the word 'carbine' in a search so I can't provide a link, but it would definitely be worth your time to do a search on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    M4carbine.com has a very informative thread on this. Unfortunately the wifi I'm using doesn't like the word 'carbine' in a search so I can't provide a link, but it would definitely be worth your time to do a search on the website.
    How to make a Kydex holster Picture Tutorial - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the assist! My eye dr office wifi apparently hates firearms.

Let us know howe that comes out. I'm teetering back and forth wanting to try it.

Will do thanks guys.

That is some really thick Kydex! .06 is thick enough to work, I use .08 for everything but Desert Eagle's and for them I use .093. I only use .125 for clips and such. If you are using a heat gun, you are going to have a hard time heating a sheet big enough for a holster with that thick Kydex. Try to use an oven. For thick Kydex like that start with the Kydex in a cold oven then turn it on to it's lowest setting. As it warms, turn it often and only up the temp by a few degrees at a time. The key is to heat it slowly, evenly and to not over heat it. If you over heat it it will get shiny and shrink and give off some pretty toxic fumes.

After that it's just foam, plywood and clamps. If you are going to form only one side of the holster, you only put foam on one side of the gun. So you will put the gun on a flat surface, lay the hot kydex over that, then comes foam at least %50 thicker than the gun and another flat surface on top. Then just squeeze the crap put pf it until it cools.

Quick Update!

Just an update on the holster. Still need to trim and shape. So far so good!
    holster.jpg
    holster 2.jpg
    Aceoky likes this.

Looks good ! I think the only thing I would have done different is put a wooden dowel in with the gun to make a sight channel for the front sight. I am wanting to make a kydex OWB for my LCR for concealed carry under long shirts
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Looks good ! I think the only thing I would have done different is put a wooden dowel in with the gun to make a sight channel for the front sight. I am wanting to make a kydex OWB for my LCR for concealed carry under long shirts
    The crease that formed where the two sheets roll towards one another left tons of room for the front sight so that is a zero issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MidWorld View Post
    That is some really thick Kydex! .06 is thick enough to work, I use .08 for everything but Desert Eagle's and for them I use .093. I only use .125 for clips and such. If you are using a heat gun, you are going to have a hard time heating a sheet big enough for a holster with that thick Kydex. Try to use an oven. For thick Kydex like that start with the Kydex in a cold oven then turn it on to it's lowest setting. As it warms, turn it often and only up the temp by a few degrees at a time. The key is to heat it slowly, evenly and to not over heat it. If you over heat it it will get shiny and shrink and give off some pretty toxic fumes.
    I ended up heating it on a sheet of foil on the top rack of my gas grill on the lowest setting and it worked superbly!

The next Step will be to Dremel out "wings" on either side, cut in some belt slits, and reheat the wings to form them to my hip @ 3 o'clock.

I'll post pictures of the finished product tonight once its completed.

I am ready to see this sucker..... I made a kydex holster for my LCR this weekend... its by no means pretty but it works very well. Made a few mistakes that i think I can do better on so I ordered some more kydex. It can only get better with practice. I made mine from 0.06 kydex and it is plenty rigid. I think anything heavier may be too much for my tastes.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I made mine from 0.06 kydex and it is plenty rigid. I think anything heavier may be too much for my tastes.
    .06 is easier to flex but too much flex is bad for plastics. My hybrids are .06 and I've only had one failure to date, and the holster was about a year old. I'm tinkering with full kydex and those are at least .08. I use the thicker stuff to keep it from flexing and developing cracks. And if you do anything with a clip or paddle you want to go thicker for those.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links