options for women

options for women

This is a discussion on options for women within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a feminine bag/ purse to carry my glocks.suggestions? What's everyone think of the Big Girl Guns clutches? I think the patterns are super ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: options for women

options for women

Looking for a feminine bag/ purse to carry my glocks.suggestions? What's everyone think of the Big Girl Guns clutches? I think the patterns are super cute but I haven't talked to anyone that's gotten one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

PLEASE no...gun in the purse is a HORRIBLE idea. My girlfriend recently went through her state mandated CHL (TX) training and the instructor said it was a great way to carry (mentioned in a thread about bad CC instructor advice), it is definitely not. Let's be honest, your kind carries much more than a sidearm in there and a quick draw of said sidearm is likely impossible under duress even with extensive training. Your gun needs to be in your mind in your "gun place" and your "gun place" needs to be somewhere on your body that you can get quick and direct access to without the aid of clear and deliberate motor skills and thinking. A purse isn't that.

Also, carrying a Glock loose in a bag of any kind or other garmet is VERY unsafe, ask Plaxico Buress about that.
    .XX, Kennydale and blitzburgh like this.

Here is a great site for the ladies...Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.
    Look in here for/about your 'choices'...
    darbo likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think a lot depends on your firearm. I have a flash bang, an iwb (the betty by looper), a thigh holster, and yes a concealed carry purse by Montana west. I carry mostly my compact 9. Easier to conceal, especially in this heat. I carry in my purse as a last resort. Although since I have my flashbang, I find I use it less. It has a designated pocket for the gun to keep the gun clean and to avoid any crap pulling the trigger so there is no risk of an accidental discharge. As with any holster, practice drawing your firearm and build muscle memory. My spring field XD will get more carry time th is winter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    My hope and prayer is that everyone know and love our country for what she really is and what she stands for.
    ― John Wayne

My wife is a big fan of her Gun Tote'n Mamas Purse. I would prefer on body carry as well. But she carries much more with the purse. And purse carry is better than no carry. Her purse has a dedicated pocket for the holstered pistol.

But purses are like shoes and guns, your best bet is to find a place to get your hands on it and try it out. We found a retailer at our local gun show. After my wife looked at about 4 purses, she found one she liked.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    ... purse carry is better than no carry...
    Very true but the first phrase that pops into my head is "purse snatcher." Do women who carry this way have any training or techniques available to them to keep some scumbag from grabbing it on the fly?

I think a gun purse is more dangerous than beneficial. The point of carry is expedient acces to a weapon. If you are caught off guard you have no access, if you are robbed they get your purse and your gun.... more trouble than its worth. use a holster like everyone else and be done with it... your life will thank you should you ever need your gun.
    blitzburgh and MJB_17 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Purses get put down. Do not carry a gun in there unless there is no other option. And if you have young children, or are EVER around children at all, this method is very dangerous. My three year old can open momma's purse, no problem. Story a while back of a grandma who put her purse in the shopping cart with her grandchild...kid found the gun in it and accidentally killed herself with it.

My wife uses a belly band or the Kangaroo holster. Both do not rely on a belt, which she rarely wears.
    MrsHB likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks purse carry is a horrible idea, that and Mexican carry are the only two methods that I will outright condemn in all circumstances except having absolutely no other option. It is probably safer to carry a loaded gun in a plastic grocery bag than in a purse.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    It is probably safer to carry a loaded gun in a plastic grocery bag than in a purse.
    I'm not sure you understand what a dedicated CC purse is or how it works. Or you really overestimate grocery bags.

And men continue to wonder why women get turned off on guns and carry.

My wife simply does not want to dress around a gun. Not that she wears anything crazy. But she does not like belts, refuses to carry IWB, and is scared to death OWB will print. Heck, I make holsters and can't get her into one she will consistently wear. I carry OWB 99% of the time and she knows it can be done. I open carry and she knows most folks don't pay enough attention to spot a gun. She still will not wear it on body. The only time she will wear on body is in the winter under a coat or sweatshirt.

When we got her the purse, she went from only carrying when I basically badgered her into it, to carrying almost all the time. She's observant, so if someone is watching her I can tell you she knows it. The straps are cut proof, internal wire in the strap. The zippered holster compartment is accessible while wearing it and holds nothing but the gun. She can actually access the gun, have her hand on it, and it just looks like she is reaching into or holding onto the purse.

Now, throw it in the bottom of the bag with all the makeup, change, and kids snacks. Yeah, bad idea. But not all purse carry is created equal.
    Maynard, CamoMama, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Purse carry is probably the worst way of carrying a gun. I personally cannot fathom if its a jeans shorts type of dress why a female simply doesnt do the fanny pack thing if she doesnt like any other way of carrying.

On a guy they kinda stick out some. Ive never seen a female get a second glance wearing a fanny pack.

Dresses, formal business I see the need for flash bangs thigh holsters etc etc.

But heck gals you can put a glock in a fanny pack and wear a string bikini,go swimming with the thing on and nobody is gonna think gun
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Purse carry is probably the worst way of carrying a gun. I personally cannot fathom if its a jeans shorts type of dress why a female simply doesnt do the fanny pack thing if she doesnt like any other way of carrying.
    Possibly because fanny packs look absolutely ridiculous on anyone other than Hulk Hogan?

hulk_hogan_fanny_pack.jpg

As a bonus...Chuck Norris

2237198518_90fe5d1993_o.jpg

And there is this...
    fanny+pack+10.jpg
    CamoMama and blitzburgh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Possibly because fanny packs look absolutely ridiculous on anyone other than Hulk Hogan?
    I dont think I ever saw Hulkster in a fanny pack. Not sure I want too LOL. My wife, granted is a all jeans all the time sort of gal uses a fanny pack, not a huge one, all the time when we ride motorcycles which is practically all the time. Slides it around and wears it on her right hip about 3 o clock. She doesnt carry concealed when shes with me since I always am and we are always together but she still uses the pack for her other stuff she hates purses. Doesnt look ridiculous on her with or without the gun.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by glockedin View Post
    Looking for a feminine bag/ purse to carry my glocks.suggestions? What's everyone think of the Big Girl Guns clutches? I think the patterns are super cute but I haven't talked to anyone that's gotten one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
    OP, most of the posters here carry on-body, so you may not get many helpful responses. There's a topic on purse carry pinned to the top of this forum that has some info in it though.

The Cornered Cat website provided above has some great articles on holsters, including carry purses. Just go to the 'Articles' section, then scroll down to 'holsters'.

I hope you are not defaulting to purse carry under the assumption that on-body carry would require major wardrobe changes. This is not the case!! There are many comfortable and concealable holster options available now that allow on-body carry without a thick "man belt". Some of my go-to faves are clipless holsters (Remora or Sticky) and a bellyband. My Sticky holster with a 9 mm Shield is my current carry favorite. SO comfortable!

That said, if your chosen guns are Glocks, you have made on-body carry more challenging, because Glocks are wide and blocky. I love Glocks but trying to carry one felt like sticking a shoe box in my pants! For carry, it's hard to beat a slim, single-stack gun like the Shield. Concealing a Glock is still doable; just harder. This is why the single-stack semi-autos are so popular.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the female carry thread pinned to the top of the Concealed Carry forum here. Lots of great links posted there as well.

Good luck to you!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I have a purse for carry,when i have no other choice.That said,i ordered the holster from pistol wear,when i don't use a regular holster,and so far,i like it.
    I keep looking,and keep trying different options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links